1 2 3 4 5 6
Bobzilla
Bobzilla HalfDork
6/9/09 4:08 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote:
Bobzilla wrote: Think what you want. I price parts to the UCD on these turds weekly for the last 7 years. Not much of a "myth" when I can support it with 7 years of hard data.
Yes, they are expensive to buy and maintain. Some people think the driving experience is worth it. I certainly did when I bought the car last year. Lately, I'm not so sure, but that's a different matter. Of course there are people who buy them for brand prestige. But there are plenty of people who don't. Please try not to lump us all in together. Do I cease to be an "ego-driven, penile-lacking prick that feels he is better than anyone else" when I drive my 10-year old pickup truck, or does it carry over?

Definately carries over. Or so I'm told. Being a Hyundai owner/driver I've been chided for years. Only I'm the "too cheap to buy a REAL car" and "poor sucker must be really stupid to drive that thing" prestige....

Is it still prestige if you're being mocked?

walterj
walterj Dork
6/9/09 6:03 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: Is it still prestige if you're being mocked?

As far as you know.

RexSeven
RexSeven HalfDork
6/9/09 6:19 p.m.
Chris_V wrote: This is a prime example of what I hate about most car enthusiasts. They seem smart and reasonable, then their brains show a really limited amount of ability to look beyond individual examples. "I drove a really crappy example that had been mis-tuned by an owner, so I hate all examples that have that same badge." And the corollary, "I have and love a highly modded example of a car that is otherwise crap, but I can't accept that other cars that I think are crap can be great if slightly modded." I've disliked individual examples of some cars, due to their actual condition or state of tune, but I don't hate ANY car, and can have fun with/enjoy any car, in pretty much every genre. I've had/driven Fox Mustangs that pulled over 1G laterally and were great to drive on the track or street, and I've been in basically drag versions that were crap around corners. I've had musclecars that didn't turn, and cars like my '70 Mustang autocrosser that did. I've had custom 4 doors and custom wagons that were quite cool, and got a lot of respect on the street. I've had a couple that weren't. I'm on my 3rd Range Rover (an '01 HSE) and my previous Classic Rangies were outstanding offroaders and tow vehicles, that were cheap to buy and run.

If somebody had a Fox-body with some actual thought put into areas besides the engine bay, I'd be willing to drive it. I know they exist, but I've yet to find one: all the Fox-bodies I've seen in my neck of the woods are drag cars or falling apart.

confuZion3
confuZion3 Dork
6/9/09 7:11 p.m.
Chris_V wrote:
Bobzilla wrote:
Josh wrote:
Bobzilla wrote: You completely ignored the important part of the message... you know the cost of maintenance, over priced parts, stuff falling off/bending... I mentioned that too. But the only part you read was the relevant part to your personal life.
No, I'm pretty sure I quoted the part I meant to. The part where you hurl blanket insults at people based on what sort of car they drive. That part that pretty much makes you sound like a world class... well, whatever you'd call a BMW owner :P. Your first point was mostly a myth spread by vastly underinformed, knee-jerk know-it-alls like yourself. Not that I am really complaining, thanks a ton for helping to drive down resale values to the point where I could afford one!
Think what you want. I price parts to the UCD on these turds weekly for the last 7 years. Not much of a "myth" when I can support it with 7 years of hard data.
Are you buying parts from the dealer? I maintain my own 7 series, and have for the last few years. I average about $400 in parts per year, and at 170k miles, I think that's pretty GD fair. As I mentioned, i spend a lot of time with a community of 7 series owners, and some over the years have not bin DIY types and had their cars serviced at the BMW dealer. Yeah, that can get pricey in a hurry. But a lot of us don't spend any more on our cars than we would on a Honda. I replaced a windshield. Insurance covered the $200 bill. I replaced the radiator at 145k miles. $140 and about 15 minutes time.

Thank you, Chris. Guys, it's the cars we hate, not the people we hate. Leave your personal grudges at the door. I owned a BMW and I'm not a prick (not much of one anyway).

Anyway

Smart car -- Why can't you give us a proper, MANUAL transmission as an option?

Charger -- My friend really wanted me to rent one this weekend to go to Georgia (our cars are too small or unreliable). I don't get it. It's a Chrysler 300 with slightly different body panels (or it appears to be anyway). IT'S NOT A CHARGER! I like the SRT model though in all it's flashy goodness. Call it the Magnum sedan and I'll appreciate it more.

Aztek -- I know it's not on the theme of "everybody loves them", but I hate them so much that I had to share. Maybe there's a group of Aztek enthusiasts out there somewhere ...

Last generation Camaro -- I don't hate them, I just think they're the ugliest sports cars that GM may have ever produced. Except for the SS model.

benzbaron
benzbaron Reader
6/9/09 7:20 p.m.

I think a newer(1990s) model bmw 528i was the most comfortable car I've ever been in. Ever since I talked to this guy with an 1987 M6 with the I6 engine which put out 350HP I've been impressed by them. Hate the drivers love the cars. If my benz had the same aftermarket support and online information I'd be a real dick too.

Carson
Carson HalfDork
6/9/09 7:52 p.m.

I'm late to the fight!

My BMW was free dollars and maintenance costs have been on par with my other cars and seeming typical of 22 year old cars.

Also, "penile-lacking prick" is an oxymoron, .

I really do admire that Hyundai of yours, Bobzilla.

The only car I currently hugely dislike, and mind you, I've never driven one, is the new Challenger.

Wowak
Wowak Dork
6/9/09 9:20 p.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote: Miatas

you are dead to me.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter HalfDork
6/9/09 9:42 p.m.

I'm putting on my asbestos underwear before I even start, hahaha.

*Showcars

Sure, I can't stand hybrids, the new GT-R, gasoline-powered pickups, the usual tripe, but I HATE showcars.

Nothing frustrates me more than seeing a car that's built to look at, and that's it. Trailered everywhere and buffed with a diaper, numbers matching, blah, blah, blah. Total berkeleying waste of a car.

Drive it, or sell it to someone who will.

confuZion3
confuZion3 Dork
6/9/09 9:47 p.m.

Following Dexter, I hate cars with Z3 fenders that aren't Z3s. I went to a car show once and counted 45 cars with Z3 fenders. Some even had them in more than one place (like the front fender and on the bottom of the car behind the rear wheel). Almost all of them were Civics.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/9/09 9:54 p.m.

I would much rather look at a rat rod than a trailer queen, but I rarely see people fawn over rat rods, so I don't know if that counts or not.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Reader
6/9/09 10:58 p.m.

BMWs MIATAs Fullsize trucks without a fullsize bed. Bonus points for 4x4 diesel trucks. Double bonus for the elusive crew cab, short box, 4x4, diesel, dually. Any truck smaller than a 1/2 ton unless its a rock crawler, drag racer, Syclone, or Typhoon.

Thats about it. I like pretty much everything else.

walterj
walterj Dork
6/9/09 11:10 p.m.

The only person who could hate both BMWs and Miatas... and make fun of smallish trucks like the Chevy 2500 dually regular cab short bed as too small is obviously that guy in the Buick who holds up traffic and wears the hat that comes with a free bowl of soup.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter HalfDork
6/9/09 11:17 p.m.
93gsxturbo wrote: BMWs MIATAs Fullsize trucks without a fullsize bed. Bonus points for 4x4 diesel trucks. Double bonus for the elusive crew cab, short box, 4x4, diesel, dually. Any truck smaller than a 1/2 ton unless its a rock crawler, drag racer, Syclone, or Typhoon. Thats about it. I like pretty much everything else.

What about if you actually NEED the 4x4 diesel shortbed? My father plows driveways in the winter, and the shortbed allows him to have a turning radius to actually do his job (4x4 for obvious reasons, diesel for the torque and economy).

Don't get me wrong, I hate pavement pounders, too.

walterj
walterj Dork
6/9/09 11:21 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: I would much rather look at a rat rod than a trailer queen, but I rarely see people fawn over rat rods, so I don't know if that counts or not.

I am confused by the rat rod... it is kinda like acid washed jeans (fake wear) or all those dentists in chaps riding Harleys. If you set out to pose - you are a berkeleying poser. How is that cool? How is it cool to make a E36 M3ty car that dosn't work unless you tow it somewhere to pose next to it in your badass Grease broadway musical costume? Maybe do something totally awsome like using a Jack Daniels bottle for an overflow... PLEASE... just kill me now. How about LED washers ferchrissakes.

Maybe I've never seen a real rat rod... but I think that is because there aren't any. .

walterj
walterj Dork
6/9/09 11:28 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: What about if you actually NEED the 4x4 diesel shortbed?

EXACTLY. Like say you tow stuff and plow stuff but dont need to carry an assload of plywood or sheetrock and would like to turn around in less that the "asterisk" pattern. The guy hates Miatas and possibly might be a vegan. If you have a clear shot, take him out.

juuust kidding folks, vegans are allready dead inside. - proper credit to "The Family Guy"

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
6/10/09 12:01 a.m.

I really dislike convertible versions of badass sports coupes. Especially with 911 Porsches, but I feel the same way about things like M3 'verts. You've got a badass performance vehicle, but you've ruined the chassis stiffness and made it so you won't be able to take it to a track.

I also think 911 'verts just look crappy anyway.

Oh, and the stupidity is compounded when you put a removable hardtop on your convertible version of a coupe.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
6/10/09 6:03 a.m.

Rat Rods...that brings up a peeve. I despise the recent trend that is black primer and red wheels = rat rod. Uh, no it doesn't. Your 78 Malibu 4 door thus prepared is not a Rat Rod. It's a POS with primer and glossy Krylon wheels. Go home. You're in insult to true rodders everywhere.

BMWs...having been a recent convert to the Sacred Roundel, I've encountered some of the Zymol worshipping egomaniac crowd. They are the reason I don't belong to my local BMWCCA chapter because they seem to be in charge. However, the true drivers around are some of the nicest people I've met, and very smart too. I've also found some of the joy in BMWs can easily be realised. When a expensive "luxury widget" on a BMW fails that is not essential to the car running or being safe, simply unplug it or remove it. The lack of a Check Panel, on board computer, service reminder light and central locking have greatly enhanced the ownership experience and reduced my stress level.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/10/09 7:58 a.m.
93gsxturbo wrote: BMWs MIATAs Fullsize trucks without a fullsize bed. Bonus points for 4x4 diesel trucks. Double bonus for the elusive crew cab, short box, 4x4, diesel, dually. Any truck smaller than a 1/2 ton unless its a rock crawler, drag racer, Syclone, or Typhoon.

Crikey, first the BMW, now I gotta defend my truck, too? I have an extended cab shortbox 4x4 fullsize truck. An 8' bed would be nice for hauling, but A. They are pretty rare with the extended cab in half-tons, and B. It wouldn't fit in my garage. So I make do with the shorter bed. As for the 4x4, I live in Michigan. I'd invite any of you to make it up my driveway in January in a 2wd truck. Or move my trailers around my back yard when the grass is wet.

And yeah, I don't get the Rat Rod thing, eitiher, but to each his own.

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
6/10/09 8:12 a.m.
ddavidv wrote: Rat Rods...that brings up a peeve. I despise the recent trend that is black primer and red wheels = rat rod. Uh, no it doesn't. Your 78 Malibu 4 door thus prepared is not a Rat Rod. It's a POS with primer and glossy Krylon wheels. Go home. You're in insult to true rodders everywhere.

When rodding was "new" the cars being used were either a couple years old, or no older than 20 years, so...

A lot of people forget that the era they are emulating was mostly late model stuff at the time, and doing the same stuff to essentially late model cars NOW is really in the same spirit. What's an insult to "true rodders everywhere is in thinking that it isn't in the same spirit...

Personally, I like showcars, too, as they can often give great ideas for other customizing. I love looking at high quality artwork and sculpture that's a car more than looking at static sculpture and artwork based on fruit and landscapes...

Starting to get tired of auto enthusiasts defining themselves by what they hate rather than what they love.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/10/09 8:20 a.m.

Any Benz without "SL" in it's name.

BMW has been quite nearly ruined for me by the culture surrounding them as well...and they're making a lot of luxo-tanks these days.

Hyundai Genesis Coupe. It may be RWD but it's a fuel-guzzling overweight cow. A poor man's used BMW...oh wait...

GTR - the giant nanny car of the future.

New Ferrari California - It has a big fat butt and looks like it's doing a goatse.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson Reader
6/10/09 9:07 a.m.

This thread has really gone down hill. It was supposed to be a light hearted tongue in cheek list of cars people don't like that others do. It's degenerated into a pathetic slamming of the people who buy certain vehicles and broad generalization based off that. To do that is just as bad as using the 'N' word to describe an ethnic group and worthy of the people on this board. Grow up.

Now having said that I'll go back to my original list and explain why I don't like them, they don't have anything to do with the people involved.

Harley Davidson's. I don't like these for two reasons. A) They all tend to be excessively loud. If I were to drive down the road making that much noise I'd get pulled over and ticketed in a car. B) I don't like something that's deliberately designed to be bad. Designing a deliberately out of balance engine to me is asinine. This is different from design around a basic design flaw. Example, Porsche still uses a rear engine, but they've put massive amounts of technology into making that work. An out of balance engine just doesn't work.
Any Ferrari since the since the 456. I just don't like the styling, they've gone down hill to me.
Diablo's. I've never like the styling of this car, it just looks out of proportion to me, especially compared to those before and after.
Evo's. People love these things, I just don't get it. I love the Sti but the EVO just doesn't float my boat, the styling, the interior etc etc
NASCAR's. Nothing to do with the racing, although I find it boring or the people. What I don't like is mandating certain technology that end up limiting performance but costing money. I've nothing against tube frame silhouette race cars, but if your going to mandate that don't force people to use a carb when supplying an off the shelf Megasquirt in a sealed box would be cheaper. If your going to mandate a live axle at least free people up in how they are going to locate it.
Pick up trucks as daily drivers. This was partially an inside joke as my great friend Tom Spangler uses one and it's been an on going source of entertainment for years. I don't see using such a large, heavy, inefficient, dynamically compromised vehicle to drive to and from work. If it's your only vehicle and you also haul wood, pull a trailer, go off roading etc fine, but many truly are used a commuter vehicles.

I no case am I making broad sweeping statements that because you drive a 'whizzbang XR99' you are in my opinion a douchebag

Josh
Josh HalfDork
6/10/09 10:43 a.m.
Salanis wrote: I really dislike convertible versions of badass sports coupes. Especially with 911 Porsches, but I feel the same way about things like M3 'verts. You've got a badass performance vehicle, but you've ruined the chassis stiffness and made it so you won't be able to take it to a track.

I think there is a converse situation to this as well. I was driving back from an autocross in my Miata (top down) and I pulled in to a gas station near Hampton Beach, NH. Across the pumps from me was a young guy in a current model Jaguar XK coupe, and I just thought to myself, why? It's a Jaguar, I'd bet a hundred bucks it never ever sees a track. The XK was engineered to be a convertible, it's barely heavier than the coupe, and neither are what you'd call lightweights. So here's this poor guy on a beautiful summer evening, a mile from the beach, and instead of cruising up the strip with the top down in his fancy car, waving to the babes in bikinis, he's stuck in a closed coupe while everyone assumes he's just a rich old guy. I generally prefer coupes, but this guy was TOTALLY doing it wrong.

nderwater
nderwater Reader
6/10/09 12:08 p.m.

I'd agree with you... but the Jag coupes of the late 90's to mid-00's were so much more gorgeous than the cabriolets, and the current coupes are such the poor man's (less-wealthy man's?) Aston DB9.

RossD
RossD Reader
6/10/09 12:33 p.m.

Whizbang XR99? It looks like I've got another car to put in the stable . What I hate are people using vehicles that were not intended for the particular use. Like the SMART car I see driving down hwy 41 at 65mph and the prius, too. Same thing with jacked up trucks that never hit mud or when they have to cross that gravel section in a road construction area and slow down so much the corvette behind them is honking. Sheesh.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
6/10/09 11:19 p.m.

What is wrong with a SMART or a prius on the highway, other than the obvious fact that they never should have been made at all, how is this differing from what they were made for?

they may not be the fastest cars in the world in accelerating to the speed limit, but they are a hell of a lot faster than my Ford Aspire, and I just drove that across the state and back this evening...

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ggd4RrLNp3BaqWFinsI9WzMw3uJYoetXEOm9OkD8cWggO0tVJnfCGh7auivsbOCZ