1 2 3 4
Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
5/3/17 1:12 p.m.

I don't think so. The long gun is just not fast enough to bring up on target. Now, 410 in a revolver, that might be OK, but the SAA type weapon is really ideal. I've hunted them with shotguns, AR15's, 1911's, 22 rifles 22 handguns and that Blackhawk is just perfect. Take the AR, for example. You're walking along through the brush and surprise a mouse. It jumps up and runs. The range is usually under 6', and you try aiming an AR at something 6' or less away. You have to walk the rounds into the fast moving target. Now, with the SAA ("Single Action Army," for you democrats) type weapon, you draw and fire in one smooth action, dropping the mouse in its tracks. Additionally, you have the benefit of the stopping power of the 45. Believe me, there if there is one thing you don't want, it's a wounded mouse turning on you and charging.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/3/17 1:27 p.m.
STM317 wrote: I've tried several types of traps, from traditional baited traps to fancy mechanisms designed to keep them alive. They all kind of suck. They're not super effective, they're a pain to set up, and they can cost a relatively pretty penny. About a year ago, I got tired of playing nice with mice and went in-humane. You know what doesn't suck? Glue Traps. They're cheap (several for under $5), easy to set up (you just put them on the ground), and they're the most effective tool that I've used (with one step onto the trap, they're stuck).

Went with those till one of my dogs brought me the trap stuck to the side of her face.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/3/17 1:29 p.m.

sticky traps checked twice a day at the minimum. When you find one drop the entire trap in a small rubbermaid roughneck tote with about 1/4-1/2" of vegetable oil, gently shake. The mouse will release from the trap. drive at least .75 mile away and release the mouse. The snakes will be happy as an oily mouse slides down easy.

I've been catching the same little guy for about 2 months now (nail polish dot confirmed) I have a love hate relationship with him. He's not a she, so the population hasn't boomed. The border collie mix loves him, seriously dogs are the worst at mousing. He's smart, pretty cute, enjoys a short car ride, but occasionally eats a potato and pops on the countertop. So that leads to his constant relocation. I'm seriously considering getting a cage, water bottle and wheel at this point.

Also, poison does nothing to him.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/3/17 1:51 p.m.

LOL No mouse/rat problems in our house.

Rumnhammer
Rumnhammer Reader
5/3/17 2:01 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: I don't think so. The long gun is just not fast enough to bring up on target. Now, 410 in a revolver, that might be OK, but the SAA type weapon is really ideal. I've hunted them with shotguns, AR15's, 1911's, 22 rifles 22 handguns and that Blackhawk is just perfect. Take the AR, for example. You're walking along through the brush and surprise a mouse. It jumps up and runs. The range is usually under 6', and you try aiming an AR at something 6' or less away. You have to walk the rounds into the fast moving target. Now, with the SAA ("Single Action Army," for you democrats) type weapon, you draw and fire in one smooth action, dropping the mouse in its tracks. Additionally, you have the benefit of the stopping power of the 45. Believe me, there if there is one thing you don't want, it's a wounded mouse turning on you and charging.

I LOL when I read this and got a visual of Dr Hess shooting mice with a 45 SAA in some type of Tom and Jerry type scenario. Not to mention a .45 in proportion to a mouse would be a person being shot with 120mm tank round...

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
5/3/17 2:02 p.m.

In reply to Spinout007:

No lion problems at our house.

captdownshift
5/3/17 2:15 p.m.

taken since I last posted in this thread. I released him into the firepit liner, which he hopped out of less than 5 minutes later once he grew tired of my talk to him (as he's heard it all before). I'm on my way to petsmart to get him a cage, wheel and water bottle.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/3/17 2:20 p.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess:

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
5/3/17 3:10 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift:

Swing by Walmart and pick up some hollow points. "Flying Ashtrays." They work great.

captdownshift
5/3/17 3:39 p.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess:

my sidearm options are a barrett rec7 or a .50 desert eagle. not the best for home invasions of this scale.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
5/3/17 3:55 p.m.

So here in FL small rats live in the palm trees. I guess they build their nests in the palm fronds. Occasionally these little buggers finds their way into homes. This became an issue a while ago at my house.

I tried to do the humane thing, and set up a bunch of live traps. Lo and behold.....I caught one of the little guys.

I proceeded to have "the talk" with Mr. Rat--- letting him know not to come back, or I would indeed kill him and everyone he knows. We then jumped into my old Ford truck (when I had that beater F150) and headed a few blocks away to the Intercostal Waterway. I walked about 100 yards away from the truck, and set the open cage near the water.

Mr. rat emerged from the cage--- -and immediately made a bee-line for my truck! He hopped up underneath the bed, within the undercarriage. I looked, but couldn't find him to shoo him away.

Well.....I didn't want to bring him back to my place, so I drove around-- looking for the bumpiest roads I could find. I'm pretty sure I knocked him loose.

I then spread poison throughout my attic (where they were coming from) and indeed killed everyone he knew. No rats since--- and it's been a few years.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/3/17 7:38 p.m.

I put bait packs in the crawl space and under the dishwasher. The ones that survive the poison are lured by snap traps with dog food glued to them with peanut butter. Got one last night

GVX19
GVX19 Reader
5/3/17 8:13 p.m.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1777105

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:433532

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
5/4/17 9:08 a.m.

the real solution has been in front of us the whole time...

D2W
D2W Reader
5/4/17 9:41 a.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: I don't think so. The long gun is just not fast enough to bring up on target. Now, 410 in a revolver, that might be OK, but the SAA type weapon is really ideal. I've hunted them with shotguns, AR15's, 1911's, 22 rifles 22 handguns and that Blackhawk is just perfect. Take the AR, for example. You're walking along through the brush and surprise a mouse. It jumps up and runs. The range is usually under 6', and you try aiming an AR at something 6' or less away. You have to walk the rounds into the fast moving target. Now, with the SAA ("Single Action Army," for you democrats) type weapon, you draw and fire in one smooth action, dropping the mouse in its tracks. Additionally, you have the benefit of the stopping power of the 45. Believe me, there if there is one thing you don't want, it's a wounded mouse turning on you and charging.

Your mice must be larger and more aggressive than mine. Of course I live in Washington so maybe they are passive liberals.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
5/4/17 10:15 a.m.

Those were Texan mice. They can be pretty aggressive, but they are up front about it. There are two problems with the passive liberal mice. First off, they will hire rats to take your stuff and disperse it among their friends and supporters, thus giving themselves a warm fuzzy feeling for "doing good, helping the underprivileged" and second, billionaire vermin will hire disease infested mice to disguise themselves as, and hide within, your liberal passive mice and come cause problems for you. They tend to arrive on buses.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
5/4/17 10:32 a.m.

We have owls here, so I do not use poison. You can definitely kill local (more desirable) wildlife by poisoning mice. The poisoned mouse gets thirsty, goes outside, dies, and something higher on the food chain eats it and gets poisoned.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/4/17 10:48 a.m.
dculberson wrote: We have owls here, so I do not use poison. You can definitely kill local (more desirable) wildlife by poisoning mice. The poisoned mouse gets thirsty, goes outside, dies, and something higher on the food chain eats it and gets poisoned.

Yeah, I won't be using the poison. No reason to. Caught one this morning, got him chilling in a bucket outside right now. When I get home I'll kill it.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
5/4/17 11:04 a.m.

Yeah, I won't use poison either. 2 reasons: 1: The mouse eats the poison, crawls under a cabinet, etc., dies and stinks for a long time and you can't find it. 2: the mouse eats the poison, dies or almost dies, and the cat (outside or inside) finishes it off and eats the mouse, killing the cat. My friend lost his wife's cat that way. Moving into a new house, they left the cat there and when they came back the next day, dead cat with blood seeping out everywhere. They found the mouse poison packets scattered around.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
5/4/17 11:16 a.m.
dculberson wrote: We have owls here, so I do not use poison. You can definitely kill local (more desirable) wildlife by poisoning mice. The poisoned mouse gets thirsty, goes outside, dies, and something higher on the food chain eats it and gets poisoned.

This is true. I got me a two 'fer by destroying a giant hornet nest with 20' killer spray. I knocked the nest down and left it. There was a dead possum next to a half eaten nest there later.

He wasn't faking either.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
5/4/17 11:48 a.m.

Warfarin is the drug we use to prevent clots in patients at risk for heart attacks. It's also known to the more morbid people around the hospital as "rat poison" because it's the same stuff. Just depends on the dosage.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant UltraDork
5/4/17 1:57 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Now, with the SAA ("Single Action Army," for you democrats) type weapon, you draw and fire in one smooth action, dropping the mouse in its tracks. Additionally, you have the benefit of the stopping power of the 45. Believe me, there if there is one thing you don't want, it's a wounded mouse turning on you and charging.

Is that you,Rooster ?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
5/4/17 2:19 p.m.

In reply to slantvaliant:

That scene takes place 60 miles south of me.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/4/17 2:29 p.m.
KyAllroad wrote: Warfarin is the drug we use to prevent clots in patients at risk for heart attacks. It's also known to the more morbid people around the hospital as "rat poison" because it's the same stuff. Just depends on the dosage.

I always thought it was funny my dad's doses of warfarin were like $1500 each, but I could get 10 packs of poison at Lowes depot for $7.50

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/28/18 8:20 a.m.

Zombie canoe thread. I ended up getting a bunch of the Victor traps. I keep about 5 baited in the basement at any given time. I got about 4 over the winter, spread out over 4-5 months. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bz7a9kx3sEDefqxUVrbZd4CWTVijHwyHI8yaHXa5VyNfEVUzEcG6mqc6bnPzcYPv