1 2
modernbeat
modernbeat HalfDork
8/15/09 5:56 p.m.

T-Mobile for nine years now. I've got 1000 minutes for $35, plus unlimited data and texts for another $35. Currently using a myTouch, second generation Google phone. In the last three years, the only places I haven't had service are Pikes Peak (actually on the peak), rural off-highway southern Utah, and in secure buildings with cell defeaters.

wbjones
wbjones New Reader
8/15/09 6:25 p.m.

I have Net 10.... purchase air time every so often,(comes w/ mins) basically use it as an out going device.... turned off unless I know to expect incoming call..

I have coverage at CMP & VIR , both places with sketchy service ....

M030
M030 Reader
8/16/09 7:24 a.m.

I had Sprint for 12+ years and I just switched to T-Mobile because they had a better $/min plan. I got unlimited minutes, texting and internet for $59/mo.

It seemed like a great deal...except the phone doesn't work anywhere. In my area at least, the network coverage is terrible.

lewbud
lewbud New Reader
8/16/09 8:25 a.m.

In reply to DrBoost: I've been with Verizon for the last couple of years and have had no problems with them. Have only found one dead spot and that's because there's a bunch of tall antennae. Have my aircard with them as well, no problems there either, other than speed.

Hal
Hal HalfDork
8/16/09 10:08 a.m.

Had Cellular One/ AT&T for 18 years. Last year we changed to Verizion and are very happy with it.

Reasons:

Better coverage especially at my SIL's vacation home in TN.

Free mobile to mobile which means I can call my brother in Pittsburgh, PA and a friend in Tulsa, OK without worrying about minutes, etc.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
8/16/09 10:41 a.m.

Another vote for Verizon. The LG phone I got from them is one tough sucker; I accidentally left it in my jeans pocket, and put them in the washer. After a full wash cycle, I found it and realized it was probably ruined. I took the battery out and set the phone in front of a blow dryer for about half an hour, and it still works fine!

GregTivo
GregTivo Reader
8/16/09 11:09 a.m.

I travel alot and Verizon has worked well for me. It helps that I'm on a family plan and so my line is real cheap. If I stopped traveling and had to start my own plan, I'd probably shop around.

On the plus side, I've never paid for a phone with the 2 year upgrades (on my 4th upgrade now)

rebelgtp
rebelgtp Dork
8/16/09 12:19 p.m.

I had AT&T/Cingular for about 10 or 11 years then last year switched to Verizon because I moved and they don't service my new area. Verizons coverage is better though my service is costing a bit more for the 2 Blackberrys on the plan.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Dork
8/16/09 12:20 p.m.

I was forced into T-Mobile because of my love for the G1.

Other than it not getting nearly any signal in one of the buildings I work in, it's been doing pretty well down here in SA.

DrBoost
DrBoost HalfDork
8/16/09 12:52 p.m.

I had Verizon for my work phone. I never had an issue with coverage. I could talk on the phone in the middle of the plant where my spring phone had no signal at all. Amazing! I'm trying to get a more affordable phone but if it comes down to coverage, I'll pay more for the luxury (!) of being able to actually use it.

DrBoost
DrBoost HalfDork
8/16/09 12:53 p.m.
M030 wrote: It seemed like a great deal...except the phone doesn't work anywhere. In my area at least, the network coverage is terrible.

That's why I'm scared to try T-Mobile or Boos Mobile.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/16/09 11:30 p.m.

I had issues with T-Mobile's data support, which is separate from voice. If you have a crackberry, you will want to avoid it. I have had Verizon for a while now, and love the service and support.

alex
alex HalfDork
8/16/09 11:45 p.m.

I have Sprint (SERO), and I have coverage in places where others don't, even though I know that's not the typical Sprint experience.

Super cheap, great coverage. Works for me.

Consumer_Cellular
Consumer_Cellular
8/18/09 4:50 p.m.

If you don’t need a lot of minutes, cheaper options with no contracts are out there. I work with Consumer Cellular, a nationwide cellular provider, which sells inexpensive, no-contract national plans for as little as $10/month. AAA members can also make free calls to roadside assistance on their Consumer Cellular phone, in addition to receiving 30% off accessories, such as a blue tooth headset. You can check out all their phones and plans at [web address removed by admin due to suspected spamming]

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
8/18/09 5:42 p.m.

Interesting. A canoe that is actually relevant to the subject at hand. Not sure what to do with that.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
8/18/09 5:52 p.m.

Me either.

jrw1621
jrw1621 HalfDork
8/18/09 6:54 p.m.

I am in the business and though I was not familiar with Consumer Cellular, I did some research on them and they seem legit, but...
They are a reseller of AT&T's service so the answer is that it will work like AT&T, if that is good for you.
It seems that Consumer Cellular's advantage is some savings potential if you are an infrequent caller. If you need more frequent calling, texting and web, Consumer Cellular seems to loose it's competitive advantage.

DrBoost
DrBoost HalfDork
8/19/09 7:40 a.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: Interesting. A canoe that is actually relevant to the subject at hand. Not sure what to do with that.

HUH? I don't get it.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
8/19/09 9:20 a.m.

"Canoe" is the safe word that signals advertising. This one just happened to be set in an actual thread about cell phone plans, rather than a new thread about GET NIKE ADDIDAS BONER PILLS YADDA YADDA ONLINE NOW AT HUGE DISCOWNTS like most spam is.

Ian F
Ian F HalfDork
8/19/09 9:50 a.m.

I have Verizon and just renewed my contract for another 2 years. I've had Verizon/Bell Atlantic since '97... Currently paying $60/mo (+taxes) for 500 minutes + 500 texts/pics + unlimited calls/texts/pics to other Verizon users.

Obviously, since I've been with them for over 10 years, I'm happy... good coverage in my area (Philly-NYC) and my current phone (a 2 year old LG flip-phone) has been great (feel no need to switch and hoping to wait until the charger-standard is decided upon). It's also worked well in other areas I've traveled to: SC, NC, VA, CA, entire Northeast... Coverage in the hills of rural PA and NY is better than expected.

And whenever I've needed it, call-in customer support has been surprisingly helpful and quick.

Rusty_Rabbit84
Rusty_Rabbit84 HalfDork
8/19/09 9:55 a.m.

I have Metro PCS... Its unlimited everything for $50 a month. It works great in town, but if you travel, you run into trouble. In my trip from Atlanta to New Jersey, I had service in D.C. and New Jersey, didnt have it most of the time while driving thru the inbetween states...

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Reader
6/24/13 5:10 a.m.

cellular canoe

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
6/24/13 5:14 a.m.

[ zombie thread resurrected by canoe. ignore - JoeyM ]

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/12/13 7:00 a.m.

Since the Zombies attacked:

Tracy, what company did you end up going with?

As a new Fenton Resident with a Wally World / Straight Talk $45.00/month plan I need a better phone (took the $99.00 smart phone option instead of the $400+ iPhone/Galaxy option, poor choice), but even with my craptacular Huawei phone I have very little coverage issues.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RxsHEcQvcCPEqE7g5cM0QLUiP0CpIvBjPwjRrQQam95XD8haNrq9h9CZHrP37V7V