1 2 3
Gary
Gary SuperDork
6/21/18 7:03 p.m.

I loved his intellect, and his intelligent political commentary ... a brilliant and decent man. He passed away today. Charles was definitely one of a kind.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/21/18 7:26 p.m.

I didn’t always agree with him but his arguments always made me think.  

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
6/22/18 6:24 p.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
6/22/18 6:28 p.m.

Well that didn’t take long.  

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
6/22/18 6:39 p.m.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
6/22/18 7:35 p.m.

I disagree.  

Erich
Erich UltraDork
6/22/18 7:44 p.m.

I'm about as liberal as they come, and I rarely agreed with his policy positions. But, he had a helluva lot of integrity, and the political world is much worse off without him. RIP. 

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
6/22/18 8:18 p.m.

RIP - a decent man with a superb mind. 

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
6/22/18 9:44 p.m.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
6/23/18 12:03 a.m.

Wow. Okay Mark. Eamonn here. Heck I didn't like him either and I'm way over to the right. Let the man rest in peace. I'll go to the funeral of anyone in my orbit even the high school bullies. It's just the right thing. yes

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/23/18 1:33 a.m.
markwemple said:

In reply to Erich :

she was on Faux News and trolled with the best. He lost any integrity he had over 20 years ago.

Sorry, not a loss.

Perhaps you should take the time and let his grieving family know how you feel.  

No?  

Then maybe you should at least not be doing exactly what you are accusing him of being a horrible person for doing.

Scott Hatfield
Scott Hatfield Dork
6/23/18 6:17 a.m.

Great person and yes, he’s truly a loss. Incredible story of perseverance.

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
6/23/18 7:50 a.m.
markwemple said:

In reply to Erich :

she was on Faux News and trolled with the best. He lost any integrity he had over 20 years ago.

Sorry, not a loss.

I didn't know anything about this guy until he died but Some things are better left unsaid man. 

Celebrating the death of an otherwise good person, just because they had different politics than you, is never a good look. And then you accuse him of a lack of integrity....

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
6/23/18 8:07 a.m.

Otherwise good person? You didn't know him. He pushed false "facts" which have cause tremendous damage

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
6/23/18 8:10 a.m.

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
6/23/18 8:15 a.m.

And moderators  how, by its title, is this not political. The Kraut was not a neutral person. The majority of Republican reporters, with ethics, have now left the party. George Will anyone. He, I have always respected. Not normally agreed with  but respected.

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
6/23/18 9:59 a.m.

In reply to markwemple :

As I said, I didn't even know this guy existed a couple of days ago. (That should give you an idea how political I am.) You didn't know him personally either, but you've obviously got very strong opinions about him. The few limited accounts that I've read (from both sides of the political aisle) make it seem like he was a decent human being. I think it's silly to get this worked up about it. I think it's in poor taste to celebrate a person's death when they've done nothing to you personally. And I think it's highly hypocritical for you to say that a person lacks integrity as you openly celebrate their death. It's one of those cases where if you can't say anything nice, you should say nothing at all.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/23/18 11:03 a.m.
markwemple said:

Oh, and I get it....

You are not doing yourself any favors here sir. You are being a total a-hole.  I know you are trapped in your narrow view and cannot see outside of it to provide some modicum of respect for a man who has endured a very difficult life.  You are absolutely opitimizing what you claim to hate.

I would love to say your attitude is uncommon, but it is not and comes from all sides.

BTW - based on your behavior I am sure you will make some assumptions about me.  I have only heard Charles speak a handful of words so I really am not familiar with his specific views.  I did think he was kind of a strange guy until I learned what his physical situation is, and for that alone, that gains him a good amount of respect from me.  I really cannot say the same about you, based on how you have presented yourself here.

PS - did they change the title of the thread? Because RIP certainly doesn’t imply anything political to me (perhaps I am not trying hard enough to be offended?)

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy HalfDork
6/23/18 12:35 p.m.

So Mark Wemple, the troll of the GRM forum, trolls an RIP post, accusing the departed of being a troll. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
6/23/18 1:57 p.m.

Someone is cruising to be put under Margie's patio.

I've only been aware of the man's name, as far as I know I never saw him on TV or heard what he had to say.  If anything I'm even less political than STM317. I agree it's very bad form to be happy the man is dead.

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
6/23/18 2:16 p.m.

How can a thread about an extreme right wing talking head NOT be about politics and pushing your ideas. I'm not a troll, nor trolling. Pushing our nation down a dangerous path, and there is a ton of facts to support this, and working for a company that was not a news company, but rather dedicated to pushing a far right agenda without regard for the truth. Tell me again how this wasn't political.

Again, I get his ideas are popular here, but that's no defense to pushing politics. Especially extremist politics.

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
6/23/18 2:21 p.m.

In reply to markwemple :

Wow, man. Nobody here was pushing politics.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/23/18 3:30 p.m.

The only one pushing a political agenda is YOU.

Don’t confuse the fact that people are not celebrating someone’s death with them supporting his political agenda. 

Believe it or not, having people with differing views is useful.  I am sure you would prefer to have a world where everyone agrees with you, but that is not reality.  Having any “side” run wild without checks is a very bad thing.

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera HalfDork
6/23/18 6:19 p.m.

Oh, how I wish this forum had an "ignore list"...

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy HalfDork
6/23/18 6:36 p.m.

In reply to markwemple :

Not only did you inject politics into a non political discussion- you got them wrong. Maybe before you disparage a person in a thread mourning their loss, perhaps it would best to educate yourself about that person first. 

Krauthammer finished medical school after being paralyzed from the neck down. He later quit medicine to pursue his true love, politics. He started his political career not in the "extreme right wing," rather in the Carter administration. He was the speech writer for Mondale. Hardly right wing. His opinions and views changed over time due to his life experiences. But even at his farthest right, I don't think anyone that understands what that means would call him an extreme right winger. If you doubt me, here are his own words...

"I became very acutely aware of the dangers, the hypocrisies, and sort of the extremism of the political extremes. And it cleansed me very early in my political evolution of any romanticism," He later said: "I detested the extreme Left and extreme Right, and found myself somewhere in the middle."

I have zero interest in having a political discussion with you, even if it were allowed on this forum, so I'll simply consider any political response as more trolling and ignore it. This thread is about the loss of influential individual that overcame great challenges in his life. 

1 2 3

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
dX6sXcgZuRJ3doqzFA4JgxOIJB3nBRPGswguVoHthhaUV1KaQdPHcLwMZE4o9uGk