1 2
mtn
mtn SuperDork
8/20/10 10:45 p.m.
EvanB wrote: If you're gonna sing a song about drinkin wine, you gotta drink some wine.

That looks like a pretty sweet guitar, or like it could be with a little fixin'.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/20/10 10:50 p.m.

His guitars have the best stories though.

from wiki said: The Three-String Trance Wonder - This is a normal guitar that resembles a Fender Coronado, but with only three strings. It has an old Harmony pickup added (with duct tape) and is tuned to G, G and B using an E string in the A position, a D in the G position and a G in the B position. At his gigs, he often tells the story that he bought it for $75 in this condition in Como, Mississippi from a man named Sherman, who later told him he only paid $25 for it the day before. Wold vowed never to add another string, and that he would tour the world telling his story of how Sherman ripped him off.[8] All in good fun as Sherman Cooper is a good buddy, who gave him the guitar having had it nailed to the wall as a decoration.[7] A lot of the time he also adds (while picking up or putting away the guitar) that it is the "...biggest piece of E36 M3 in the world, I swear".

He sure makes it sound sweet though.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/20/10 10:51 p.m.

Sorry for the threadjack, carry on with the wine talk.

I have found that Barefoot is pretty decent.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/21/10 3:33 a.m.

As we were paying for beer at a package store one day, we spotted bottles of "Cherry '55" on the counter for $2. It had a '55 Chevy on the label.

It was about as good as you could imagine. I almost felt obligated to sit on a curb while we were drinking it.

Matt B
Matt B HalfDork
8/21/10 6:21 p.m.

+1 for Smoking Loon - any of 'em - but I like the Pinot Noir

Marty!
Marty! Dork
8/21/10 6:41 p.m.

My vote for a good white is a local wine to me but carried nationwide - Wollersheim Winery Prarie Fume'

About $9 a bottle. It's a semi-dry white, a little sweeter than chardonnay but not as sweet as a riesling.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant HalfDork
8/21/10 8:17 p.m.
EvanB wrote: If you're gonna sing a song about drinkin wine, you gotta drink some wine.

Jerry Jeff has downed a few bottles, I suspect.

itsatrap
itsatrap New Reader
8/21/10 10:00 p.m.

My wife likes the Yellow Tail brand, I'm not a wine drinker so I can't comment on it. She prefers the Shiraz. Just give me a bottle of Martini & Rossi Asti Spumante and I'm in heaven.

alex
alex Dork
8/22/10 12:25 a.m.

Wait, resume threadjack. Who is this cat? I had a guitar very similar (in more stock condition) for a few years. May have been a Teisco or a similar Japanese brand, but I never figured it out before I sold it.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
8/22/10 12:37 a.m.
alex wrote:
Wait, resume threadjack. Who is this cat? I had a guitar very similar (in more stock condition) for a few years. May have been a Teisco or a similar Japanese brand, but I never figured it out before I sold it.

Lol, I started google searching him after this was posted, and have been youtubing him for the past 24 hours.

Seasick Steve, on wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasick_Steve

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNoPNC3ebYQ

And he has one of the better Top Gear interviews:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjZJPDD8iiA

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks Reader
8/22/10 3:10 a.m.

a couple different answers to this question: if youre drinking to get drunk, get the box. if youre drinking under the pretense of being nice and sociable at a dinner party, but deep down you ultimately want to just be drunk so that you wont care so much about having to hear the non stop yapper on your berkeleying mother in law, then i +1 the yellow tail. this thread makes me want to go find my fake id

Jeff
Jeff Dork
8/22/10 9:25 a.m.

Box wine is the way to go for the best mix of quality and price. Top quality wines can be had for $15-20 for the 3L box (I have yet to see quality wine in a 5L box) which equals 4 bottles. If you drink wine every day, this is the way to go.

Black box is very good, I like their Cab and Syrah when I can find it. The box wines at Target are good also. They are made for Target by one of the big winemakers. I've tried all the red versions. Pinot Evil is a nice French Pinot Noir that can be found for around $15. I did not like Killer Juice, but many people do. The wines labeled bota box used to be really good, lately they have been just OK.

When the box price dives below around $12, I'd be very careful unless it's a label you've tried before and is now on sale. Corbertt Canyon was undrinkable. And a $12 box is like $3 a bottle. Pretty much swill.

wcelliot
wcelliot Reader
8/22/10 9:51 a.m.
procainestart wrote: Masciarelli Montepulciano d'Abruzzo

Strongly second this recommendation.

The owner is known as the 'wine whisperer' in Italy.

Can be bought in the US for as little as $8 (case price) but brings 12-14 Euros a bottle in Italy.... more than many "real" Montalcinos and Montepulcianos there (the ones that start at $40 here)

I like it better than most sub $30 wines and often give it for gifts because it looks and tastes much more expensive than it is.

In a little higher price point, my favorite winery is Casanova Di Neri of Montalcino. Their 2001 Brunnello was declared the 'best wine in the world" by Wine Spectator in 2003, scoring a perfect 100. Cost was about 50 euros ($75 in the US when you could find it).

This caused a boon for Brunnellos and especially for the vineyard which expanded tremendously, leading to them having their Brunnello disqualified as a Brunnello because they were apparently using grapes that didn't qualify. They have been in and out of trouble with the Italian authorities since then.

But the reason I tell you all this is that they currently sell a Rossa di Casonova Di Neri and a Rossa di Montalcino (14 euros and 18 euros respectively). Both of these wines are very similar to that 100 point $75 Brunnello (the cheaper one being lighter and younger... extremely drinkable... and the more expensive one having more of the expected Brunnello body and "bite") and I've seen them in the US for as little as $22. To me that's an awesome deal...

The downside is that it seems imports have stopped and I've not seen any on the east coast for over a year. Worse yet, when I tried to visit the winery last month, it was locked and shuttered... doesn't look good for the future... but all three versions of the wine was still readily available in Montalcino shops.

Per the last post, I don't particulary care for Pinot Noirs, but Pinot Evil (along with a CA wine called Hangtime) are my favorites of the type. 3L for $15 would be an awesome deal!

Bill

96DXCivic
96DXCivic Dork
8/22/10 9:56 a.m.

Thanks for the suggestions I got Four Vines Naked chardonnay. It was decent. I should have said no red wine. I have tried several red wines and I don't like them.

wcelliot
wcelliot Reader
8/22/10 9:57 a.m.

Now for whites, my favorite at any price point is a Vernaccia di San Gimignano http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernaccia_di_San_Gimignano

It's known as the "white wine for red wine drinkers" with plenty of body (most are oak aged slightly).

All of these come from the same very small region, same grapes and same basic process. That means there doesn't appear to be a huge difference between vineyards, so that the cheapest ones ($10-12) tend to be basically the same as the most expensive ones (low $20's)... average in my area is $12-14.

Worth looking for as an alternative to the various pino grigios and chards...

Jeff
Jeff Dork
8/22/10 10:26 a.m.
96DXCivic wrote: Thanks for the suggestions I got Four Vines Naked chardonnay. It was decent. I should have said no red wine. I have tried several red wines and I don't like them.

Reds can take a little getting used to. For health benefits, they are the best. If you haven't, you should try Pinot Noir. It has a mouth feel similar to a white. And you can also chill all your reds a bit. Room temp does not mean 75-80 degrees. In the summer, I keep the Reds in the fridg, poor a glass and let it set for a bit.

Bon appetit!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ayQG6OalPyIgN0AXLtrxrdKX5vFAPBrDxmWyfPyNJcyx40EIp9QK4DJsVuPSFeqs