NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/9/23 6:07 p.m.

The Chili Bowl kicks off tonight. I always like this race, SWMBO could do without it! It starts tonight, ends Saturday night. Tons of racing and it's all on Flo Racing. Subscription is a little pricey but there is a gang of racing content all year. 

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/9/23 8:47 p.m.

Yep, I'll be worthless all week.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/9/23 10:41 p.m.

The Chili Bowl is an all-time great spectacle. Unfortunately, I haven't been since I moved to OKC 6 years ago. But before that I had been to probably 11-12 events including the inaugural event when I was just shy of 5 years old. 

Since regardless of where you sit you can see the entire track, it's even better live. The racing and setups are unlike anything you'll see anywhere. It's especially cool since the engine rules are OPEN. Years ago Michael Pickens from New Zealand showed up with one of the Hayabusa derived V8s. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/10/23 8:58 a.m.

In reply to NY Nick :

I'm watching what I can after work, and definitely want to make it down there someday. 

I don't watch a lot of tv so my Floracing subscription is probably the the only one I get much use of. They do a good job of covering short track racing everywhere. 

NY Nick
1/12/23 8:35 p.m.

Yes they do! Flo is awesome. The Chili Bowl coverage is top notch. I also watch the weekly racing at Hickory, Utica Rome and Fonda. 
If people want a free preview of Chili Bowl action Flo has a YouTube channel that they put highlights on. 
They have posted the Tanner Thorson spin on their paid wait but not YouTube yet. It's pretty bad ass. 

johndej
johndej SuperDork
1/12/23 8:56 p.m.

I'm glad this isn't the post I thought it might be. Had some relatives at the races last night that saw a guy get thrown completely out of their sprint car and rushed away. Luckily he's apparently doing well today. 

https://youtu.be/klEQV92WzFk

NY Nick
1/12/23 9:41 p.m.

In reply to johndej :

Damn. I heard about it but they wouldn't show a replay. That is wild. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/13/23 12:00 a.m.

In reply to johndej :

Holy E36 M3! I've never seen anything like that in a dirt race before. Because it's so common to see wrecks like that, glad to hear he's doing OK. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/13/23 9:08 a.m.

That's one of those things a guy doesn't want to see.  Belt failure or missed a latch somewhere.

I've always figured there is potential for a flailing hand to undo the belts in the right (wrong) circumstances.

NY Nick
1/13/23 9:15 a.m.

Usually Flo puts up a thrills and spills highlight every night, they skipped Wednesday when the kid got thrown from the car. Apparently when the kid woke up in the hospital he asked if they would have the car ready for Saturday.

Here is the Thursday's thrills and spills. It's great racing in between dozens of flips.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/13/23 10:20 a.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

I read somewhere they thought an arm restraint flipped the belt latch. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/13/23 10:35 a.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

That's what I had read too.  Apparently if you're not careful how you route certain types it can happen. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/13/23 1:31 p.m.
Toyman! said:

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

I read somewhere they thought an arm restraint flipped the belt latch. 

Ooh.  That would do it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mClVkhwZOI9WcB2DT60WaMKJyo2nLpqSelb9D7X0bgGTZWWP2XEFCVsH2SYnnQk5