1 2
JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
10/10/20 4:36 p.m.

Hagerty says millennials and Gen x folks like classic cars. I guess the media can stop blaming them for the death of everything

https://driving.ca/chevrolet/auto-news/news/millennials-are-doing-the-opposite-of-killing-the-classic-car-industry-survey

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
10/10/20 7:16 p.m.

Meh.

Signed: Gen-X

11GTCS
11GTCS Reader
10/10/20 8:09 p.m.

One of my younger (Gen X) co workers has a RH drive Nissan Skyline GTR with a big ass turbo.   They’re car guys too. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/10/20 8:21 p.m.

Millenial here, none of my cars were made in the 2000's crying

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/10/20 8:22 p.m.

I'm Gen X. Many of my friends are and they like cars. Go talk to the Millennials!

Will
Will UltraDork
10/10/20 8:26 p.m.

The article doesn't define "classic" car, and that changes based on your age.

G_Body_Man (Forum Supporter)
G_Body_Man (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/10/20 8:35 p.m.

I can confirm that the Millennial/Gen Z cuspers and Gen Z absolutely love cars. Even if they aren't necessarily "car people" they have favourites from Corvettes to W123s to Miatas to B-body Impala SSs to D-series Hondas to Corrados.

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/10/20 10:11 p.m.
11GTCS said:

One of my younger (Gen X) co workers has a RH drive Nissan Skyline GTR with a big ass turbo.   They’re car guys too. 

How old is your average coworker if one of the younger ones is 40?

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/11/20 9:54 a.m.
mtn (Forum Supporter) said:
11GTCS said:

Must work in politics lmao

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
10/11/20 10:15 a.m.

Well I was born in 87 so that makes me a millennial and I like cars with carburetor's and so do a lot of my friends. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UltraDork
10/11/20 11:25 a.m.

88 here. I like my wife's 13 Mazda. I also like my 80 mustang. And my 73 VW. I also like NDs. And flathead fords. And all vehicles with a ford small 6. And 90s Honda's. And 60s Falcon wagons. 

Don't care about 50s chevys. Or any corvette. Or really any classic muscle car. 

Mixed bag really. Saturday we stopped at a small local car show. It was literally 60% corvettes. Besides that, the only car I was interested in was an Audi R8 spider. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/11/20 11:53 a.m.

I do wonder if the tri-5 style Chevy muscle cars will hold interest or value for the younger crowd.  I am generally a fan of 60's cars and I don't even have any interest in them.  There seem to be a lot of them out there, many with a lot of money spent on them.  I can see that market taking a big dump in the future.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
10/11/20 12:52 p.m.

In reply to JoeyM :

Post Vietnam I went to a Vintage sports car race and was surprised my MGTD was eligible but not my buddies MGTF. Too new!!! 
It was fun watching pre war Alfa Romeo's Bugatti Type 35's and Cooper 500's running into alcohol.  
A year later (1976)the club I formed with others eventually  allowed cars up to 1958. We were considered real liberal but felt we needed that new to get 20 cars.  Which was the minimum the track required to have a separate race during the Trans Am Race. 

I don't remember when MGB's were finally allowed. 

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/11/20 12:52 p.m.
dropstep said:

Well I was born in 87 so that makes me a millennial and I like cars with carburetor's and so do a lot of my friends. 

I was born in 70.. I can't stand carbs.  EFI all the way!

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/11/20 3:16 p.m.

Carbs are poorly controlled vacuum leaks

change my mind. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
10/11/20 3:32 p.m.

Gotta be some kind of # of cars that are older than you are or something we could compare numbers on...

I have a car 24 years older than me... Only one car older than me though.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
10/11/20 10:13 p.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

No need to change your mind, mine still works fine. I've heard them described that way and as controlled fuel leaks. Either way even in the nice -40 Ohio windchills mine still fire right up and drive. I can also rebuild the entire thing for the cost of one new injector on my wife's escape! 

11GTCS
11GTCS Reader
10/12/20 8:28 a.m.
11GTCS said:

Gen X, Millennial whatever.  I’m easily confused apparently.   He’s in his early 30’s.  I’m the old guy in the office at this point. 

tomtomgt356 (FS)
tomtomgt356 (FS) GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/12/20 12:06 p.m.

I'm a millennial (87), and I have seven cars from 2018 down to 1930. I have many friends my age that are into cars. Millennials are not the problem. It's the dang Gen Z'ers that are screwing everything up! (Isn't it every generations job to point the finger at the younger generation?)

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/12/20 12:12 p.m.
11GTCS said:
11GTCS said:

Gen X, Millennial whatever.  I’m easily confused apparently.   He’s in his early 30’s.  I’m the old guy in the office at this point. 

https://www.bls.gov/emp/tables/median-age-labor-force.htm

Median age in the US workforce is 41.9 years. The Skyline really became an object of lust for younger US enthusiasts with Gran Turismo - which was released 23 years ago.  Bond with the car when you're playing the game on your PS1 in your parent's basement at 12, you're now 35 and making some money...timeline checks out.

Hagerty doesn't define "classic car", but it's sort of implied in the article that it means "cars that Hagerty will insure".

Daylan C (Forum Supporter)
Daylan C (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
10/12/20 1:02 p.m.

I'm one of them annoying "Zennials". Most of my cars are radwood eligible. Have we stopped gatekeeping those out of the classic category yet?

Powar (Forum Supporter)
Powar (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/12/20 2:08 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

https://www.bls.gov/emp/tables/median-age-labor-force.htm

Median age in the US workforce is 41.9 years. The Skyline really became an object of lust for younger US enthusiasts with Gran Turismo - which was released 23 years ago.  Bond with the car when you're playing the game on your PS1 in your parent's basement at 12, you're now 35 and making some money...timeline checks out.

Hagerty doesn't define "classic car", but it's sort of implied in the article that it means "cars that Hagerty will insure".

You just described me within a year, and I currently have five cars on a Hagerty policy (including one that I drove in the original Gran Turismo and fell in love with... Perfect). I honestly never thought of my peers as the ones who were uninterested in cars and driving. That came after us--- moreso my younger half-siblings' friends who were born in the mid-90s and were in no hurry to get their driver's license or a vehicle.

11GTCS
11GTCS Reader
10/12/20 4:24 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

That explains him to a T.  (And the Skyline lust to me!)  Thanks!

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/12/20 5:25 p.m.

Just had two (probably under 20) guys show up at the local VW meet with a late 60's Bug they found for cheap (which is very hard these days).  They where pretty into it and had no issues with the lack of AC.  They found those funny wing vent windows very useful!  I of course did all I could to encourage them.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
10/12/20 5:34 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

Carbs are poorly controlled vacuum leaks

change my mind. 

...well, sure!technically, I guess!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UgPYzhdsFvXLm4iVvZUbmPBywy30KRJCHQKKbGjUcJOnwoEjqiaOxineGJabDzp8