1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/15/22 1:44 p.m.

Most of our gutters, even the ones up top, we can reach–except one that's on the side of the house. It's on the second story part of the house.

I'm not going up there, even with a ladder.

I can (and usually) pay someone, but that hasn't been the most reliable solution.

So, how to do this one my own? Is one of those water-jet setups the answer? And, if so, I'm going to get totally soaked, huh?

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/15/22 2:13 p.m.

I have a situation like that on the back of my house.   A ladder set firmly in place is the answer.  I clean the gutter by hand every 3 or 4 weeks.   No fun at all.

And you are making all the different gutter guard commercials run through my head.  lol

David S. Wallens
8/15/22 2:22 p.m.

I hear ya but I'd really, really rather not go up there on a ladder. In fact, I'm going to say that I'm not going up there on a ladder. smiley

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/22 2:34 p.m.

Remove the gutter.  Install a rock water landing area down the side of the house. Never clean that gutter again. The only reason I have gutters is I have no trees. 

In the Garden: Rock Garden | River rock landscaping, Landscaping around  house, Landscaping with rocks

No Time
No Time SuperDork
8/15/22 2:35 p.m.

Maybe some eBay shopping for one of these:

Looj gutter robot

It won't completely eliminate the ladder, but can minimize the climbing

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/15/22 2:41 p.m.

Yeah... I hear ya on the ladder thing.  Harder if your other half refuses to stand at the bottom and make sure the ladder is steady... because while you're tying not to chuck black gutter-goo onto her head, sometimes you fail... 

I wonder if you can rent a bucket truck for a few hours...  (possibly, although I did find a place that rents the lift shown below)

Or... one of these doesn't seem like a bad idea... especially if you're often tasked with cleaning out relatives' gutters:

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/15/22 2:46 p.m.

California = no rain = no gutter = nothing useful to contribute.

Having said that, I was scheduled to provide engineering statistics training to fifteen engineers in Minnetonka, MN several years ago.

I laid out fifteen manuals before the session but only fourteen engineers showed up.

About an hour into the session, an Admin. walked into the room and quietly told me that one of my engineers (40 something year old with two youngish kids) fell off his roof while cleaning his gutters and died.

I used to put inflatable stuff on my roof for Christmas, Halloween, etc. but not after that.     

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/15/22 2:46 p.m.

I have seen those hose attachments which seems like they could be made out of a long (think clearly) piece of PVC.  They are made to sort of pressure wash the leaves out.  Worst case, you can flush all the leaves to one spot, for easier removal.

Gutter Flusher Water Blaster Hose Attachment w/ Flexible End & Extends ...

Or you could go the other way and make a shop vac attachment, which could be suck or blow:

Gutter Cleaning Attachment For Garden Hose

Oh My!:

Gutter Clearning Accessory Kit | Yard Tools | Toro

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/15/22 2:51 p.m.

I use a clicky rotating head thing for my hose, found it at Ollies for like $5, it works well. 3 foot wand extends to like 8 feet, just has a high pressure directional head on it that rotates. 

I recommend just buying metal, METAL, gutter guard and installing it. The plastic ones are E36 M3, UV kills them. Metal should outlast the gutters. Last I bought them, pre covid, metal was ~$2 a foot. 

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/15/22 2:51 p.m.

That is AMAZING!  I need one to live in the gutter like a Roomba...

David S. Wallens
8/15/22 2:56 p.m.

Hmmm, Shop-Vac attachment? I have a smaller one, though. I wonder if it has enough juice. We have a leaf blower/sucker, too. Hmmm....

Thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming. 

We have a thick tree canopy, so no chance of getting a crane/bucket truck in there. 

porschenut
porschenut HalfDork
8/15/22 3:11 p.m.

On our house the clog is usually just at the downspout.  A proper poke and it flushes itself.  If there is water in the gutter the purge is pretty efficient.  When the gutters are dry I use a sailboat mast about 3 inches in diameter with a mandrel bent 180 degree exhaust tube taped on.  Leaf blower stuck on the end flushes everything out, but wear a hat and goggles because you will get dirty. Luckily it only happens once a year in the spring when one tree flowers and the wind blows the crap.  

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/15/22 3:13 p.m.

Our old house had 4 total gutters, 3 of which were very easy to access. The fourth spanned the width of the second floor (35 ft?) and although I'm pretty nimble and able bodied truly scared me every time. Because of how our back deck was positioned, I had to extendo the ladder beyond the deck steps at a sketchy angle for one side, prop the ladder against the bottom of the deck railing for the middle and shimmy by the power lines that hit the other corner of the house. 

What I did to limit my time up there was use the leaf blower. It made it 10x sketchier but it meant I was up on that ladder for a significantly shorter amount of time. 

All gutters at the new house can be reached with a 6 ft. ladder.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/15/22 3:57 p.m.

Pay a handyman to install gutter guards, and have them clean the gutters while they're at it.

Mine have been on the house for 13 years or so and are doing great.

David S. Wallens
8/15/22 4:25 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

We replaced the gutters when we did the roof. The roof/gutter company would not install gutter guards because our tree canopy is so thick and leaves would quickly pile up on them. I even asked the dude who actually installed the gutters, and he said the same thing: Tree canopy is too thick. 

So, yay, us. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/15/22 4:31 p.m.

Huh. Must be pretty thick. I have trees all around my house, including a sycamore that drops the mother of all leaves, plus a bunch of other crap.

Sorry, beyond that, I got nuthin.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/15/22 4:35 p.m.

I can see how a screen type guard could get overloaded and clogged.

What about the style that more depends on surface tension?  I suspect this type could be overloaded by too heavy of a rain though.

Why Should I Install Gutter Guards - Gutters & Guards, Inc.Gutters ...

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
8/15/22 4:36 p.m.

I tried to clean my high gutter the other day.  I was able to get 2/3 if it a month ago when I borrowed the neighbors rental man lift.  But the deck was in the way and I couldn't get all of it.  I tried my aluminum extension ladder which was pretty sure was too short.  Extended it one rung past maximum and it was bouncy as hell.  Still couldn't reach the gutter.  I do have an old fiberglass ladder that I have used before, bu that thing is HEAVY.  I'm a lot weaker than I was last time I used it, and wouldn't dream of getting the wife to help.  

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
8/15/22 4:54 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I purchased foam that  fills my gutters. Rain falls through the foam and is handled the usual way gutters work.  However leaves sit on top of the foam and are blown off by wind.   

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/15/22 4:59 p.m.
aircooled said:

I can see how a screen type guard could get overloaded and clogged.

What about the style that more depends on surface tension?  I suspect this type could be overloaded by too heavy of a rain though.

Why Should I Install Gutter Guards - Gutters & Guards, Inc.Gutters ...

Those systems rely on the Coanda Effect...

Coanda Effect

...which requires a very smooth surface so tree sap, bird droppings, etc. will interfere with the operating principle.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
8/15/22 5:00 p.m.

here's a picture of the gutters height. ( about 35' from the paving stones. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
8/15/22 6:53 p.m.

Replace it with the rain handler system and forget about it. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/22 1:38 p.m.

I have a house-cleaning wand for the pressure washer.  It extends to something like 14'.  It has two fittings for the end, one bends about 100 degrees so the pressure is diverted down for house washing (so it doesn't jet up under the siding) and the other one is about 160 degrees for gutters.  3600 psi makes really quick (and very messy) work of the gutters.  You'll be soaked in rotting leaves and mud, but totally worth it.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/22 1:39 p.m.
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/22 1:57 p.m.

Side note to this. 

Unclogging a downspout with one of these.

Will shoot stuff all over the place including 50 plus feet in the air above the house.  It did clear out the downspout and hilarity ensued as we did the rest of them (at a friend's house).

A side note is that the gutter strainers will be removed permanently and probably never seen again.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FF10ERUOK3CcdEDBCN4MJlzxTqDgtCdEKjG42Z3uP6ian8xzp1VvmP725SutNDLt