1 2
MiniDave
MiniDave Reader
8/16/22 2:04 p.m.

The problem with all of these pressure washer and vac systems is they're for gutters about 12-15 ft up - his are 35' up. I have one of those leaf blower setups and it works fine for the gutters 10-12ft up, but I can't imagine being able to control it 35' up. And yes, you get covered in leaf schmutz when you use it. I have 100ft pin oak trees so the leaves fall all year long......

So, the solution? I agree with spending the money to get something more permanent that doesn't require death defying acts of bravery to use several times a year.

Oh, and pay someone else to install it!!!!

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/16/22 2:14 p.m.

35 ft up makes it pretty rough, even ladders suck at that height although I hate heights anyway.

I'd just pay someone else to do it if a lift isn't feasible 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/16/22 2:25 p.m.

I haven't measured the height, but we have a normal two-story house. (Well, most of it is weird, but this part is normal.)

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
8/16/22 2:37 p.m.
tremm said:

??? Google tells me 18.7ft on a 2 story house. 35' doesn't pass my sniff test. Could be something unique.

Counting the bonus room in the attic. it's 3 stories. With 10 ft ceiling in "garage" ( shop) plus 1' thick flooring  12' ceiling in great room 1' thick flooring  12' ceiling on 2nd story. + 1' of Timbers 

Actually the joists are an actual 12" plus 3&1/2" of flooring. But the gutters hang down about 8" to the bottom so not quite 35'.   But at the top of the gutters it's 5" higher. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
8/16/22 2:38 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Another option is a ladder stabilizer:

SIGNIFICANTLY steadier, leans against the house instead of the slippery gutter, and stands off the wall to make gutter access easier. 

If you have a somewhat standard 2 story, any of the discussed options will work. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
8/16/22 11:27 p.m.

In reply to SV reX :

+1,000% on this suggestion.  

David S. Wallens
8/17/22 2:11 p.m.

In reply to SV reX :

Yes to the ladder stabilizer assuming it somehow incorporates a giant standing platform, too. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
8/17/22 5:42 p.m.

A standing platform wouldn't make it any more steady. Not in the slightest. It would just make it too top heavy and hard to handle. 

I hear you. 

Turbo_Rev
Turbo_Rev Reader
8/17/22 6:49 p.m.

I've used those stabilizers and they're pretty great. 

That said, I would try just about anything to not have to climb up to the gutters on my next house. 

David S. Wallens
8/17/22 7:44 p.m.
SV reX said:

A standing platform wouldn't make it any more steady. Not in the slightest. It would just make it too top heavy and hard to handle. 

I hear you. 

Add stabilizers. I'm just not into heights. When I watched the dudes replace our roof–the steep part that's 2+ stories up–I was like, Nope. 

And the tree guys go up there with no problem. They have cleaned the gutters while up there. Probably time to call them, too. 

David S. Wallens
9/26/22 8:43 a.m.

We cleaned gutters yesterday–including the one that's two stories up.

I bought one of these: Gutter Sense Gutter Cleaning Tool

I already have a long, extending pole and figured I'd make the $33 gamble. It's like cord-activated salad tongs, but for your gutters.

It worked. It even dislodged the plant life. 

Today my neck, back and hands hurt, but it worked and I can't blame the tool for that. It's like playing the claw game but two stories up. 

Tonight I'm going to attach a little camera to the pole and see how things look. 

David S. Wallens
9/28/22 4:57 p.m.

Well, I didn't get a chance to send a camera up there, but water is flowing nicely out of the downspout. I'll take that as a win. 

David S. Wallens
9/28/22 5:02 p.m.

And why run to the hardware store for a gutter extension when you have some leftover dryer duct from this weekend's project? 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/28/22 5:18 p.m.

So, were you working on a dryer? 

Or really cheap brake cooling ducts?

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/28/22 6:51 p.m.

Thanks for the thread! I am also a huge fan of not-heights. (actually putting up lights in the shop with a scissor lift today, and it's way better than a ladder, but as soon as this is done I'm going to turn into a pile of Jell-o and ask my wife to just pour a Manhattan into the quivering mess)

I bought a Looj fifteen years ago when it turned up super-cheap on woot.com. It wasn't everything one might've hoped. Delightful idea, just not very effective.

Glad to know there's another option. Our house finally doesn't have any trees over it this time, but the new shop isn't so lucky.

Toebra
Toebra Dork
9/30/22 1:31 a.m.

That is the sort of job I would finish with a checkbook, pay my grandson to do it.  That tool will make it much easier for him, thank you Mr Wallens

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/30/22 8:30 a.m.

I also ordered that gutter tool.  While I generally don't have to clean the gutters on my house, I do often need to clean them on my mother's house.  I'm getting to the point where I'm not comfortable crawling along the edge of a steeply pitched roof. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GFowiOeuLsA4HafsljxO7XU5iNicsxQPTcKnb77MUGMeZNl4vgHZ0ijCaqDeyrYV