1 2
Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
5/23/22 12:01 a.m.

Doing a quick fly an drive from Chicago to Baltimore on Thursday. It looks like it's fly to Chicago, drive to Cleveland, stay a night, then back to Baltimore. I've been to Cleveland a few times for Ravens/Browns games but the place we usually eat during those trips has closed down. I'm open to suggestions for a good sit down place if anyone has one. 

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
5/23/22 7:46 a.m.

Skyline chili? 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/23/22 7:47 a.m.

Greenhouse Tavern still exist? Stop in for animal fries and the roasted half pigs head. 

Never mind, just checked "permanently closed"

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
5/23/22 8:10 a.m.
charlesmox1 said:

What kind of cuisine do you like? I know a lot of good places in Cleveland)

Steakhouses, or Italian would be the top choices, I appreciate it

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/23/22 8:39 a.m.

If by "steakhouse" you mean the high end Morton's, Ruth's Chris style, the local game is Hyde Park.  A now dozen or so chain of high end steak houses born out of Cleveland's east side.  There are two locations, one East Side suburb, Beachwood across from Porsche of Beachwood and one West Side suburb of Westlake.   The are "proper attire" type restaurants.  

Here's more history on Hyde Park

You say your previous fav has closed.  If that was a place you went while visiting for football games, my guess is it was Sokolowski's University Inn on University Rd (owners retired during covid) or Lola/Lolita, the Michael Symon, TV Chef restaurant.  If it was M. Symon, in the same place downtown, E4th St, he has reopened the same space now with https://www.mabelsbbq.com/   I have not been there.  It will likely be trendy and hyped towards "tourism" but for sure the food will be good.  I remember and found some hype that Guy Fieri (TV Chef) was going to be filming at this BBQ joint of Symons

Cheeks
Cheeks New Reader
5/23/22 8:41 a.m.

Melt Bar and Grilled!!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/23/22 9:23 a.m.

Lunch suggestion along the way...

I used to do a lot of business travel and a lot of eating at trendy places paid for by corp expense account or paid for by the client.  A lot of those places are good enough if you're right there but few should you make a special trip for.  Here's one worth a special trip and you're gonna pass right by.  

I grew up in Toledo, OH as worked many years in Metro Detroit.  Metro Detroit has the highest middle eastern population of any US Metro.  In many ways, Toledo is just the most southern suburb of Detroit.  So, it too has a middle eastern community and with that, I recommend a long time favorite of mine... The Grape Leaf Dinner.

Here is a little promo video lifted of FB Same location sine 1995 and back in 1995 I was dating a girl who's parents owned a business around the corner.  I think we were there opening night or a pre-opening night.  Certainly one day right at the opening. It was nearly 25+ years ago.  Clean and well lit place.  Just located in a stip mall as the end location.  I was last there about 3 months ago ( I live an hour away now.)  We detoured specifically for it on a trip to southern Detroit Metro.  

This is Lebanese food and as I have been schooled by multiple middle easterners, the Lebanese are by far, the best cooks of the middle east.  (I've been to Iraqi restaurant and though they were highly regarded by Iraqis, it wasn't nearly that good.)

The thing to order is Chicken Shawarma Lunch Platter $9.99 (crazy inexpensive!)  Marinated chix breast, tiny salad (with house dressing of olive oil, lemon, garlic), hummus (made in house) yellow rice, pita bread on the side.  There is also side of white garlic/yogurt sauce but caution...strong garlic resulting in limited social interaction for the rest of the day.   Might add a cup of Lemon Rice Soup, also excellent.  

Located not terribly far from the Ohio Turnpike.  Sort of between two exits.  Off at the Toledo airport exit and drive east about 7 miles to arrive and then leaving about 5 more miles, generally east also to get back on the turnpike.  Roughly 4 hours out of Chicago if you can plan a lunch stop.  But, they serve the Chicken Shawarma Lunch Platter any time of the day.  From The Grape Leaf, it is still 2 hours driving to Cleveland.  

909 S McCord Rd, Holland, OH 43528

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/23/22 10:02 a.m.

Keep driving until you get to Pittsburgh? 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
5/23/22 10:13 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I appreciate all of this, and will 100% hit The Grape leaf on the way.  You are correct on the go to being Sokolowski's, and it sucks they closed.  For years we'd fly into Burke, go to the game, then dinner there as our tradition. I don't see a reason to do a chain that we have here, and while we will have a "proper car" I'm not sure about "proper attire" :)

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/23/22 10:20 a.m.

I used to be in the Sokolowski's area often at lunchtimes in years past.  Always a good stop!   Nearly impossible to find at what seems like the end of a dead end road but always worth the struggle.  

Above was suggested Melt   Oversized "bar food " sandwiches that in 20 years has gone from just 1 location to like a dozen locations.  

There's a Little Italy part of town in Cleveland but I don't really have a dinner recommendation to a specific one.  

Here's another promo video/review of The Grape Leaf from just 2 weeks ago that I agree with.  

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
5/23/22 12:59 p.m.

Are you thinking Eastside or Westside? If you are thinking east, Little Italy and cheap Mama Santas. I am not as familiar with the expensive little italy places as it has changed over the years. If you go to Coventry less then a mile east Tommy's is one of my favorite, they are early hippy American style food they have vegan vegetarian, and meat, shakes and fries are awesome. My favorite Italian restaurant is Marotta's off of Cedar and Lee, not to far away from that area. I work near the museums but just started so if you are looking for a noodle place there are some on euclid ave. I like BiBiBop. If you are thinking middle eastern very close to that area is Sittoo's and Aladins is also close. 

On the Westside Crocker park (In Westlake) has a variety choices. I like Leo's Italian, they have a Bibibop noddle place and Aladdin.  I at at hot Chicken Takeover if you like Tennessee styled spicy chicken. They have several other restraunts but I haven't tried them yet.

If you want Hipster Lakewood, Edgewater, and Ohio City. Brewnuts in lakewood is interesting it's a place that sells beer and donuts, they had a showing of F1 so potential car enthusiasts. The Original Melt is in Lakewood. Forage Public House is interesting and serves local hipster American food. Winking Lizards bar has a handful of locations and has consistent food. Johnny Mango's is in Ohio City is Mexican food.

There are many other restaurants but with kids and just moving back to Cleveland I don't have much to offer. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/23/22 1:13 p.m.

Oh, Johnny Mangos another old lunchtime favorite! Glad to here theyre still around.  http://jmango.com/

Personal fav: Chicken Fried Rice with a double side order of firey lime sauce!  Though the name is the same, the dish in not a same old Chinese fried rice. 

I'm getting hungry! 

Yes, do you have a hotel? East side, West side or Central? 

RustBeltSherpa
RustBeltSherpa Reader
5/23/22 1:13 p.m.

Guarino's in Little Italy. Sipping nigronis on the back brick patio. Total bliss. Oh, and did I say the food is excellent! Try Priesty's (sp?) Bakery across the street for some after dinner goodies.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/23/22 2:05 p.m.

Ah, Presti's Bakery.  Lots of pastries and sweets!  Most all the restaurants in this Little Italy area get their bread/rolls baked fresh from Presti's.  Aside from sweets, the do a great lunch too.  A common former haunt of mine.  Personal fav: Chicken Parm Platter.  Reasonable priced, like under $10 for an in-house breaded chicken breast cutlet, Cavateli on the side, in-house baked roll and side salad.  Not fine dinning but there are inside seats and some sidewalk seating in this sort of self serve place.  The food is as good as anywhere.  Noisy, busy and loud inside.  They have a take-a-number/ticket to be served system and you stand at the front counter to put in your order.  For the love of god, take a ticket.  Most first timers watch the line pass them by before they realize the need a ticket.  

Link to more photos

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
5/23/22 3:00 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

All I know of the plans are I am getting on a flight at 10AM Thursday, landing @12 and taking an Uber to Continental Ferrari.  I have no idea of what was purchased.  I was just told "I booked you on this flight for Thursday, we are staying overnight in Cleveland".  I'm up for the adventure however it plays out, my only request was to eat someplace good :) 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/23/22 3:21 p.m.

I've only been to Cleveland a few times and mainly to go to Ray's Indoor Mtn Bike Park.  Friends and I have stayed at the Four Points Sheraton and had no complaints.  For food, we usually picked a random brew pub and again - no complaints. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
5/23/22 5:16 p.m.

My only experience with Melt was not positive. The atmosphere was terrible, basically a huge open room with tables and chairs lined up like a cafeteria. The portions were large, but the food was kind of gross. My nephew called it "postmodern food," which i thought was kind of funny. He also did not have good things to say about it.

I wish I could make some good suggestions for you but I'm drawing a blank on Cleveland food!

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
5/23/22 6:26 p.m.

If you make it to Akron I've enjoyed Ken Stewart's Grill.  Or you search out a Rockne'slaugh

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
5/23/22 6:55 p.m.

Continental Ferrari, Hinsdale, IL?

you 'da man

davidsquirek
davidsquirek GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/23/22 8:42 p.m.

Any Michael Simon restaurant.

Go down east 4th or west 25th. You'll Definitely find something there. 

The food is the best part of cleveland. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/23/22 8:44 p.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

I've only been to Cleveland a few times and mainly to go to Ray's Indoor Mtn Bike Park. 

Holy Crap!!! I've never heard of that before. I can't believe that this place even exists!

https://youtu.be/uqCioZvswx4

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/23/22 8:52 p.m.
wawazat said:

If you make it to Akron I've enjoyed Ken Stewart's Grill.  Or you search out a Rockne'slaugh

Of all the restaurants where I grew up in NE Ohio.. I miss Rockne's the most. Not a fancy place just good: menu, prices, service. I wouldn't plan a trip around it but I eat there every time I visit home. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
5/23/22 10:19 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

Continental Ferrari, Hinsdale, IL?

you 'da man

That's the one, I have a guess in an envelope I will put in the mail Wednesday so it's postmarked before the trip, even if I'm wrong, anything from there will be a fun drive back. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
5/26/22 2:44 p.m.

I got the car, missed the color. Didn't even know they made them in BRG. 

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/26/22 4:33 p.m.

Seems like he likes food, so whatever:

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3Jq0MjEbZyjCe8HiwHpE8P3mgTNcuYe6kMqnQPhY3a9XZV1Sw18K4T0uzceomcBg