1 ... 4 5 6 7 8
ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
1/1/13 12:38 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: In reply to ValuePack: Its a simple weapon with some recoil suppression built in. No clue how that works. Fits a big hand well, the safety features are great, but they should be the same as the P97. You'll shoot a little straighter with a Para or an expensive 1911, but for the money its hard to beat. Carries just fine.

So: pretty much a P97 in a better looking shell, I wondered. Thank you, sir.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
1/1/13 12:43 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: Just got a Glock 23, I know you said no tactical tupperware, but it sure is nice

They're a love it or hate it weapon......nothing wrong with them either. Fine weapons.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/3/13 9:25 a.m.

It took a month to the day from when I mailed it, but the state is finally working on my application. Considering I've only ever had one ticket and no arrests, I think I'll pass the background w/out issue.

So hopefully by this time next month I'll have it in hand!

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UltraDork
1/3/13 10:24 a.m.

In reply to m4ff3w: Wow around here it took me all of 2 weeks to get my permit back in the mail. For SWMBO it took a week.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
1/3/13 10:29 a.m.

IIRC, it took 7 weeks to get my lifetime permit in the mail.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
1/3/13 10:34 a.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

About the same for me.......lifetime FTW

m4ff3w
1/3/13 12:59 p.m.

Texas sucks that way.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/3/13 1:15 p.m.
rebelgtp wrote: In reply to m4ff3w: Wow around here it took me all of 2 weeks to get my permit back in the mail. For SWMBO it took a week.

Ditto. 2 weeks in Missouri.

m4ff3w
1/4/13 10:28 a.m.

Wow, they finished the background check quickly!

m4ff3w
1/17/13 9:10 p.m.

I got the plastic today!

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
1/17/13 9:32 p.m.

Nice! I'm getting ready to finally go take my class, in OK the expected waiting period is 90 days.

Still haven't decided on exactly what gun I want to buy yet, so I"m going to go ahead and take my course, then shop around.

I'm starting to lean toward the single stack .45 Springfield XDs or the Glock 30.......may even go for an officer carry 1911. Just need to go try them out.

SillyImportRacer
SillyImportRacer HalfDork
1/17/13 10:08 p.m.

Just got my GWL (Ga CCW). I've had a Ruger P90 for a long time. Didn't concider concealment when i got it. I'm seriously looking at a Gen 4 Glock 19.

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
1/17/13 10:09 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: Nice! I'm getting ready to finally go take my class, in OK the expected waiting period is 90 days. Still haven't decided on exactly what gun I want to buy yet, so I"m going to go ahead and take my course, then shop around. I'm starting to lean toward the single stack .45 Springfield XDs or the Glock 30.......may even go for an officer carry 1911. Just need to go try them out.

I highly recommend the 'try it out' method. It was $25 for all-gun rental, $10 for the lane, and I shot like seven different guns. It was entertaining and enlightening. There aren't a lot of bad choices from what I am learning, but the Glock worked for me better than the Springfield.

My CWP class is next weekend.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
1/17/13 10:21 p.m.

Had my CCW for 6 years now, the amazing thing is my firearm has yet to shoot anybody, hell it hasn't even tried to get out of the holster on its own.

Glock 19 FTW

m4ff3w
1/17/13 10:32 p.m.

I took my CHL qualification with the Glock 19, but man, I just don't like the trigger on them.

Sig P938 is at the top of my list.

stroker
stroker Dork
5/16/13 7:05 p.m.

Just got my new Springfield XDS and upgraded my CCW in the same day. I'll try to get to the range with a review ASAP. It is INCREDIBLY compact for a .45.

If only I could order some 7-round mags....

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UltraDork
5/16/13 7:20 p.m.

Tried the XDS and liked the feel pretty well. Will more than likely get a Glock 30SF for a compact 45. Neither compares to my SIGs though. But I wan a 45 that can be carried with shorts well.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
5/16/13 8:20 p.m.

Just got my CWP in the mail - 99 days. Now I have to figure out how to carry it. I have a security holster OWB, but I can't conceal that Glock 23 under anything short of a sweatshirt. Time for a lesson in IWB for me. Then it's time for the wife to figure out what she wants.

kazoospec
kazoospec HalfDork
5/16/13 8:22 p.m.

Managed to get my hands on one of the "unobtainium" S & W MP Shields a few weeks ago. So far, I really like it. Out of the box, it was pretty much dead on (which is good as the sights aren't really adjustable). Comes with a 7 round flush fit and 8 round extended magazine. It probably qualifies as a "pocket pistol" in a good pair of cargo shorts, but doesn't feel overly small in my hands. Its thin, light and fairly short. With the extended mag, I can get all four fingers on the grip and with the "shorty", my pinky just rests on the edge of the magazine. Pretty much perfect size. Nice smooth trigger pull and an external safety, which I kind of like. Highly recommended if you can find one. I had to stalk a Gander Mountain grand opening to get one.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
5/16/13 8:35 p.m.
kazoospec wrote: Managed to get my hands on one of the "unobtainium" S & W MP Shields a few weeks ago. So far, I really like it. Out of the box, it was pretty much dead on (which is good as the sights aren't really adjustable). Comes with a 7 round flush fit and 8 round extended magazine. It probably qualifies as a "pocket pistol" in a good pair of cargo shorts, but doesn't feel overly small in my hands. Its thin, light and fairly short. With the extended mag, I can get all four fingers on the grip and with the "shorty", my pinky just rests on the edge of the magazine. Pretty much perfect size. Nice smooth trigger pull and an external safety, which I kind of like. Highly recommended if you can find one. I had to stalk a Gander Mountain grand opening to get one.

You know, they told me I had to shoot this one, but to beware because I would only want this and nothing else. It just didn't do it for me. Not sure why. Maybe because of 9mm? Maybe too thin? Not sure... I am glad you got one. Lots swear by them. Even some of the gun store guys couldn't get one.

kazoospec
kazoospec HalfDork
5/16/13 8:53 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
kazoospec wrote: Managed to get my hands on one of the "unobtainium" S & W MP Shields a few weeks ago. So far, I really like it. Out of the box, it was pretty much dead on (which is good as the sights aren't really adjustable). Comes with a 7 round flush fit and 8 round extended magazine. It probably qualifies as a "pocket pistol" in a good pair of cargo shorts, but doesn't feel overly small in my hands. Its thin, light and fairly short. With the extended mag, I can get all four fingers on the grip and with the "shorty", my pinky just rests on the edge of the magazine. Pretty much perfect size. Nice smooth trigger pull and an external safety, which I kind of like. Highly recommended if you can find one. I had to stalk a Gander Mountain grand opening to get one.
You know, they told me I had to shoot this one, but to beware because I would only want this and nothing else. It just didn't do it for me. Not sure why. Maybe because of 9mm? Maybe too thin? Not sure... I am glad you got one. Lots swear by them. Even some of the gun store guys couldn't get one.

Every store within 30 miles has a waiting list at least 2 dozen deep, and are only getting a couple per month. Had to get up at oh dark thirty on a Saturday morning and wait outside the store for a couple of hours, but I'm very happy with it. For me it split the difference between my dad's Sig P238 and my XD compact. I loved the easy of concealing the Sig, but I'm not a fan of .380. Also, the gun always felt just a little bit too small to shoot comfortably. My XD shoots nice, but is just a little bit to big to carry, at least without a jacket to cover it up, and it was always uncomfortable in the car. The Shield pretty much evenly splits the difference between the two. I've always enjoyed shooting 9mm and, even with the current craziness, its still cheap enough to keep up a reasonable practice schedule. I'm always figured something I shoot well/often is better than extra stopping power.

m4ff3w
5/16/13 9:08 p.m.

Did you get the P938 a shot?

kazoospec
kazoospec HalfDork
5/16/13 9:17 p.m.
m4ff3w wrote: Did you get the P938 a shot?

Looked at it. I liked that it was 9mm, but it still felt a little small in my hand. And, locally at least, it was about $300 more.

joey48442
joey48442 UberDork
5/16/13 10:08 p.m.

Wait, so, is 9mm or .40 better?

Heh heh.

Joey

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
5/16/13 10:10 p.m.
joey48442 wrote: Wait, so, is 9mm or .40 better? Heh heh. Joey

The one you have on your hip is better~!

I could relay the story from my CWP instructor about the priest who insisted upon carrying a 22 and was stabbed 63 times after emptying the magazine into the guy, but I think my choice of 40 is a decent one, and others choice of 9 is a decent one, especially with the right ammo.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
umGcldQaZ5nZWXVtXnFsOxfx6ELTpZLfjtkkGzI2dyGRwIKDamwVuAC5Tj9XMb2n