trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
5/9/22 10:32 a.m.

I have been looking for a enclosed trailer for a couple weeks. It would be used for haulling karting equipment to the track. I was thinking storage during the winter months which include the karts/equipment and the kids summer toys and bikes to clear the garage for cars.  I have enclosed trailer notifyer on facebook marketplace and the cattle trailers are a fraction of the price of a cargo trailer but look do need some help. I have seen a couple youtube videos of people turning them into a bar or food trailer (gross). Just wondering if anybody has any expierence. The negative other then trying to get the smell out is most of them do not have a ramp which is just a convience for loading and unloading. Since I live in Ohio obiously rust is another issue.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
5/9/22 10:34 a.m.

They're heavy, they're narrow, no ramp, and they are full of E36 M3. 

Price would have to be awfully good. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/9/22 10:44 a.m.

The smell of horse piss doesn't just "go away".  Also, if wooden floored it is quite damaging to the floor.  

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass HalfDork
5/9/22 11:10 a.m.

I had this same idea for motorcycle trailer...but it just wasnt worth the money. A small cargo isnt (or WASNT) that much more than a horse trailer, plus it already had the ramp and was actually enclosed (all the horse trailers I see have LOTS of openings). 

I'd say hard pass. And that's before the piss smell. 

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
5/9/22 11:24 a.m.

My search first started with 7x16 and 6X12, I then looked for something smaller but everything is above $4k (used), anything that I found in the $2k range literally sold within first contact, you can't even see them. Cattle trailer wise standard 6x16. I have seen some below $1,000, needing repair and new floors, which I would imagine I would replace or refurb them anyways. The ones that I am interested are fully enclosed. However another issue with the doors is a metal beam in the middle, and some have dividers which would have to be removed.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
5/9/22 12:28 p.m.

In reply to trigun7469 :

Well, the reasons stated above is why they are cheaper. 

Note that a floor replacement can be pretty expensive these days. 

Note also that a cattle trailer is MUCH heavier than a utility trailer... like twice as heavy. Make sure your tow vehicle will enjoy dragging it. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
5/9/22 12:33 p.m.

One more note...

A cattle trailer probably doesn't have a plywood floor. It's probably 2x as a minimum. 

Replacing with plywood (thinner) may leave gaps at the bottom of the walls. Replacing with 2x material is more spendy. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/9/22 12:51 p.m.

I'll offer a different opinion.

I was given a 2-horse bumper-pull trailer.  We worked at an outdoor amphitheatre that had horses in the show, so we had this trailer to get the horses back and forth to the theater each day.  About 2 years prior, we just added a stable at the theater so the trailer sat for two years.  Then the state funding dried up and the theater closed, so I got the trailer.

It smelled a bit like horse musk, but the whole thing was steel and aluminum with a hardwood 2x floor.  Looks like some farmer had replaced it with some rough-sawn oak or maple.  I pulled that out and cut it up for firewood and replaced it with 2x8 PT pine.  While it was out I just mixed up some bleach water in a sprayer and hosed it down.  Urine is acidic, bleach is alkaline, bingo.  Smell gone.  There wasn't really any horse poop anywhere since it starts pretty dry and it had been two years.  I think the beetles and bugs took care of it for me.  Still, a pressure washer would handle that.

I don't know the correct terminology.  I was a farmer, but we did corn and chickens, so I know very little about livestock trailers.  What I do know is that this trailer was called something like a "veterinary" model.  It had the ramp specifically because it was designed for hauling infirmed/lame critters... hence the ramp.

The bottom 4' or so of the tail was a ramp and the top couple feet was a side-swing tube-steel gate.

Looked kinda like this, but maybe a tad longer.

Used 1975 Horse Trailer for sale (195041)

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
5/9/22 1:26 p.m.

100% not worth it.  Buy what you need.  If funds are too tight to buy what you need, time would be better spent getting a 2nd job for the required number of hours to hit your target than trying to refurb a horse/cattle trailer.  

Cattle trailer, new tires, new bearings, fix the wiring, new floor, fix any rust, couple of gallons of paint, plus the time it would take to do all that at $15/hr.  At the end, not only is there no savings, the final product is a compromise that is good at nothing and only worth scrap less the gas to haul it in.  And gas isnt getting cheaper.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/9/22 1:38 p.m.

12x 6.5'  but only 5.5ft tall, asking $3,800 in Canton.    If was used for snow mobiles, just know that it was surely exposed to road salt.  Look at the under side. 

12x 6 asking $3k

No Time
No Time SuperDork
5/9/22 2:46 p.m.

You could also look at a clamshell snowmobile trailer. They tend to be light (<500lbs) and have a payload of 1000-1500 lbs. and tilt to load, although you could build a ramp.

Clamshell trailer

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UV4oZGqaLgoXx8b1UbF69eXGMOVQ20exMUyjsKcE25NuCYM8x8WcqSZBJTkcGZns