pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/24/21 9:22 a.m.

This thing is so cool. Its a PWC and a Pontoon mashup. This is the compact, 5-passenger model but it comes in 7P and 9p lengths as well. Best of all, it has a modular deck that you can quickly reconfigure for fun, fishing, drug running...whatever.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/24/21 9:23 a.m.

The Sea Doo Switch.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
8/24/21 9:39 a.m.

That's interesting. What about it makes it different from other pontoon boats? Serious question, as I know nothing about any of it.

thewheelman
thewheelman Reader
8/24/21 10:50 a.m.

The "pontoons" are composite like the rest of Sea-Doo's hulls and aren't cylindrical in shape. The "hull" is more like a tritoon layout with the center hull housing the same jet drive that some of the Sea-Doo PWCs use. Steering is the same as the PWCs with handlebars and hand controls for throttle and their IBR system. The Switch seems to try and bridge the gap between a pontoon and deck boat offering more power than pontoons in the same price range, and more space than a similarly sized deck boat. I'm interested to see how they handle compared to a typical pontoon boat. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
8/24/21 11:26 a.m.

Modular deck is pretty cool, you can move things around and on and off as you need space. Not 100% on board as I fell like that much plastic will yellow and crack being left in the sun for that long but they likely have that figured out by now. 

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/24/21 11:34 a.m.

I haven't studied nautical engineering but it looks like a lot of wetted area & interference drag without good role stability or low draft.

Sorry to poo-poo the design, maybe it's awesome-sauce, what do I know.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/24/21 12:44 p.m.

Though would make the price much more expensive, I would rather have two composite hauls without the center one and a jet drive in each with separate throttles. The steering would be much better. 

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/24/21 12:54 p.m.

They should make it a pontoon section that you can dock your PWC into for more space, or detach it so you can go run around with the PWC by itself.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/24/21 1:10 p.m.

Looks like more of a Trimaran (3-hulled catamaran) with a big flat deck. It should actually handle big water pretty decently, but I would not be a big fan of the jets. Too little control. 

Interesting. I'll have to watch out for these, it could be a good option for my inlaws.

stanger_mussle
stanger_mussle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/24/21 3:58 p.m.

I was reading a review on the Switch somewhere and someone compared it to a playpen.

I can't unsee it now.

It's a cool concept though. I think the reconfigurable deck is pretty innovative.

I'm a sucker for weird stuff though. Like the Sea Doo Sportster 4-Tec:

amerson
amerson New Reader
8/24/21 11:48 p.m.

Nice boat. I dig the design.

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
8/25/21 5:58 a.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

Though would make the price much more expensive, I would rather have two composite hauls without the center one and a jet drive in each with separate throttles. The steering would be much better. 

And the cool factor would more than double as well!

Either are way beyond me, but I still have day dreams!

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
8/25/21 6:00 a.m.
bgkast said:

They should make it a pontoon section that you can dock your PWC into for more space, or detach it so you can go run around with the PWC by itself.

I've seen that somewhere, but it was probably just in some concept stuff somewhere. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/25/21 10:36 p.m.
03Panther said:
bgkast said:

I've seen that somewhere, but it was probably just in some concept stuff somewhere. 

They built them here is Saskatchewan a number of years ago.  Can't remember the brand name.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/25/21 10:38 p.m.
stanger_mussle said:

I'm a sucker for weird stuff though. Like the Sea Doo Sportster 4-Tec:

A reasonably wealthy guy I know said that thing was the only thing he owned that burned more fuel than his Lear Jet.

sobe_death
sobe_death Dork
8/26/21 8:41 a.m.
bgkast said:

I honestly thought that's what this was.  Why call it the Switch if you can't, you know, switch it out?

the_machina
the_machina Reader
8/26/21 9:17 a.m.

Out on the lake cruising on a pontoon boat, you kinda want to just dial in a little throttle, putt around at 8 or 10 knots with a hand gently resting on the bottom of the wheel. It's relaxed, you get a little breeze, drink a beer, and look at the pretty houses and wildlife. I can't imagine doing that with a lever-pull hand throttle on a set of bars.

Spiffy looking boats, and I love a sea-doo as much as the next guy, but I'd really prefer a real throttle and wheel for these.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
8/26/21 9:20 a.m.

I wonder how easy to repair the hulls are.  It almost seems like a disposable pontoon boat.  I looked up the prices, and they seem high for what they are too me, but then it's probably been about 5 years since I've looked at pontoon boat prices, so my knowledge is out of date.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/26/21 2:35 p.m.
thewheelman said:

How close is that to the old Tri-Hull?  My limited experience is that it's weird in chop and have had the hull bang from lean left to lean right at very short cycles, like being in a washing machine.  It wasn't a comfortable ride.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kJWxYnoGDcfBIekc6DT570fSHLLh6wGXJunjK444lWJwY1nKfkB8wA0oQahKSh4N