1 2
docwyte
docwyte UberDork
6/19/20 6:19 p.m.

Does that ridgid tool use the same batteries/charger as the Ryobi?

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
6/19/20 9:06 p.m.
Patientzero said:
02Pilot said:

I have the big HF one. Seems to be a quality piece - there was a video out there somewhere where I guy took one apart and seemed impressed by the innards. It hasn't been stopped by anything yet, seems to hold a charge for a good long time. This post reminds me I should buy an extra battery for it, but I haven't needed one.

Do you have the Bauer one or one of the others?  Just looking over the Bauer stuff in the store I've been pretty impressed by it.  Haven't brought myself to buy any of it yet though.  All my cordless stuff is currenlty Snap On and I can't stand having mismatched stuff.

I have the EarthquakeXT - I think the larger Bauer came out sometime later. Don't know what the Bauer claims, but I think mine is supposed to be something like 1300 ft-lbs. It's stupid, but then so are some of the things I ask it to do.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
6/19/20 9:12 p.m.

I own the dewalt 20v but after using my friends Milwaukee m18 I regret buying the dewalt. It's exspensive but man it just shrugs at bolts my dewalt struggles with. I wouldn't recommend it for tightening things down unless you have good finger control or remember to turn it down. I used it too put the steel wheels on the back of my zephyr and it took the 3/4 inch air impact at the tire shop to get them back off.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/19/20 10:34 p.m.

Another vote for Milwaukee. I just got the 1/2" stubby impact M12 with a 6.0A battery to go with a few previous M12 tools. Debated going M18 but it's heavier, and I haven't found a need just yet. 

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/20/20 5:10 a.m.

I have the big Milwaukee (2767-20) and love it. In addition to plenty of power, I like the reversing mode where once a bolt breaks loose, it drops the RPM significantly as you're backing off the bolt.

With a HD socket, mine took off a famous Honda crank bolt with ease to do a timing belt on our old Odyssey. Other impressive jobs were taking the rusted bolt off my father-in-law's bumper ball mount on his truck, and taking the wheel nuts off my friend's BMW. Seriously, he tried for hours before calling, and his efforts included a big honking compressor and 1" air impact as well as a 4' breaker bar with him jumping on the end.

RX8driver
RX8driver Reader
6/20/20 9:18 a.m.

Another Milwaukee vote and I did just recently buy the mid torque one. That's what all the tradesmen at work use and the stability of the battery "ecosystem" is a huge plus. They're expensive, but high quality and can often be repaired if they do fail (unlikely in homeowner use). Going forward, I plan to only get Milwaukee cordless tools.

daeman
daeman Dork
6/20/20 8:33 p.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

I love when I'm searching for something and data analytics recommend for me something on the other end of the spectrum, that I really don't need, bit fills 80% of other uses and is presented at a why the heck not pricepoint.

Lowe's now has the Bosch freak-a-driver for under $90

I've got bosch, I like it alot. The down side is the range isn't as expansive as others currently have. But the warranty is great and they have the best site radio.

RX8driver
RX8driver Reader
6/21/20 9:43 a.m.

That Bosch only has one 2.0 Ah battery and will only do 133 ft-lbs, which is why it's cheaper. That said, I've got a Bosch cordless drill that I quite like. It's nice and light and I bought it on sale for a good price with 2 batteries. For heavier duty work I'd go to a corded or my Milwaukee cordless.

ronholm
ronholm Dork
6/21/20 10:41 a.m.

I have been a Ridgid fan for years.   I have just about every cordless tool they offer, and multiples of many of them.    

I LOVE the 1/2 inch impact...     But with that being said I have had a lot of trouble with much of the x5 stuff.   The sawzall gearboxes seem to fail pretty easy and the lights and some of the other add on features on the other impacts and drills and tools are..  uhhhh...   quirky...

if I wasn't so invested I would throw in the towel and go Milwaukee tomorrow.    I know the yellow tools had a bad time there for a while and seem better these days so hopefull Ridgid out grows it, or I just had a string of bad luck...   but yeah...

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
6/21/20 10:47 a.m.

If you're going to go the expensive route Milwaukee is the way to go. Worlds better than dewalt. 

Cheap route, Ridgid is a solid choice. I use ryobi because I started out cheap and poor and that evolved into using them because I like them and they've held up to everything I've thrown at them in my 15 years of using that brand. One of the things I like the most is they refuse to change their battery design specifically so you can take a drill from when they first started making cordless stuff in 1996 and throw a brand new li-ion battery in it and it will work.

docwyte said:

Does that ridgid tool use the same batteries/charger as the Ryobi?

Nope, different battery setup.

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
6/21/20 12:25 p.m.

In reply to Grizz :

Shoot.  I have a bunch of Ryobi stuff and the old Milwaukee 1/2" impact (which probably has as much torque as their new mid torque one).  It'd be nice to get over to one tool/battery set...

Rotaryracer
Rotaryracer Reader
6/21/20 2:06 p.m.

I've got the Makita 1/2" high torque impact and holey cheet does it have all the ugga duggas...1,180 ft/lbs of breakaway torque, 740 ft/lbs of fastening torque.  I have yet to find a thing it can't loosen.  I'll admit to already being invested in the Makita battery/tool infrastructure, but I'm planning on buying another one of these exact guns to keep in the trailer.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
6/21/20 6:58 p.m.
Rotaryracer said:

I've got the Makita 1/2" high torque impact and holey cheet does it have all the ugga duggas...1,180 ft/lbs of breakaway torque, 740 ft/lbs of fastening torque.  I have yet to find a thing it can't loosen.  I'll admit to already being invested in the Makita battery/tool infrastructure, but I'm planning on buying another one of these exact guns to keep in the trailer.

whats the part number , and approx cost .......thanks

xxsportscar
xxsportscar New Reader
6/22/20 5:52 a.m.

Anyone here have experience with the kobalt brand 24v max stuff?  I have a good collection of Ryobi stuff including their 1/2" impact.  It's great for lug nuts and what not but it's been stopped by the lower shock bolt on my 9-3 wagon.  

This thread motivated me to look up the specs on the kobalt impact.  I'm not typically a lowes shopper as they arent convenient to me but the specs look good.

They have a few flavors:

The biggest says 1200 ft lb for $270

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-XTR-24-Volt-Max-1-2-in-Drive-Cordless-Impact-Wrench-1-Battery-Included/1002274076

They also have this guy, 650 ft lb for $170 with battery and charger.

They also have a 3/8 ratchet and a small 1/2" 150 ft lb guy or a 3/8 I've that looks identical except the anvil size.

Rotaryracer
Rotaryracer Reader
6/22/20 5:30 p.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

That's the XWT08Z....doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, but consistent with most car naming convention these days.  smiley

CPO Outlets usually has some of the better prices on Makita stuff, and you can find that impact gun here.  Looks like the current going rate is $259 for the bare tool (no battery).

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/26/20 6:44 p.m.

If there was ever a question in doubt that Milwaukee was the answer, even their marketing people get us.

RX8driver
RX8driver Reader
6/27/20 7:59 a.m.

Holy cow, a marketing image that's actually plausible! His arm's even dirty.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/27/20 10:51 a.m.

In reply to RX8driver :

And I don't even think the inlet pipe needed to come off of that turbo...

russde
russde GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/27/20 10:54 a.m.

I'm a fan of  the Ridgid stuff in general...and am considering the impact bare tool to go along with the rest of my current tools.

One caution about the warranty: I went to Home Depot with a 1/4 impact driver that stopped working, was given a pamphlet and told to call the 800 number, I did so, the lady at Ridgid expressed confusion as to why I was told to do so and told me to go back to HD.

Different guy at HD took the tool, charged me $25 (refundable) deposit, and told me to expect a response from Ridgid in 4-6 weeks. I'm building a deck...so I bought another 1/4 impact bare to use.

TLDR: The warranty MAY work, I'm not sure yet; it takes a LONG time to get an answer one way or the other.

I just bought a 1/2" Bauer and an extra battery. I'll report back.

One of the things I find crappy/ interesting about the recent HF stuff is they sell a lot of it a la carte, which means it is no longer cheap. We're talking $330 for an impact, 2 batteries, and a charger, in my case.

Edit: Nope, it's the Earthquake XT, not Bauer

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) Reader
6/27/20 12:55 p.m.
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) (Forum Supporter) said:

I just bought a 1/2" Bauer and an extra battery. I'll report back.

One of the things I find crappy/ interesting about the recent HF stuff is they sell a lot of it a la carte, which means it is no longer cheap. We're talking $330 for an impact, 2 batteries, and a charger, in my case.

Edit: Nope, it's the Earthquake XT, not Bauer

Hmm, at that price it seems like you can get something nicer than HF.  Have the HF options been holding up better than other options?

Here is a sale at Grainger.

In reply to matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) :

Well, you've kind of got me there. I have read reviews saying the gap between the Earthquake was narrowing in performance, but thought there was a bigger gap in price. I admit to tossing all my coupons, and this being my first HF trip since coronapocalypse started, I was leaving with it, if in stock. We'll see how dumb a move that was.

Lots of people having good luck with them.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
6/27/20 5:32 p.m.

I'm a huge fan of Bosch. My 1/2" impact will remove anything, but all of the tools are still light and strong and the batteries last forever. I use mine as hammers every time I'm working on something. Bonus points for the 2.0 ah batteries, which keep the tool lighter. I swap back and forth between those and the big batteries depending on what I'm doing. 

And yeah—the Bosch radio blows the others away. 

BTD
BTD Reader
6/27/20 6:15 p.m.

My Earthquake XT has been nothing short of amazing during the multiple years that I've owned it, so I'd say you've done good. AVE really liked it - big hammer, good electronics, Samsung batteries. Hard to argue with that. Mine holds a charge seemingly forever and has never failed to break any bolt loose for me.

The rest of my stuff is Dewalt, FWIW. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vGrQ7Ht1sGM6pfhqwOxLhvqA5q716JC5dw9CLyG3d0BZlWMauxMrRUq2tQvvfSEG