AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/26/20 1:03 p.m.

My garage floor has a crack problem. The surface of the concrete has deteriorated in some areas as well. I don't think it's changed much in the 10 years I've lived here, but it bugs me more than it used to because of the way I use the space.

I want to patch it up a bit so floor jack, trans jack, cherry picker, etc, can roll over the cracks instead of getting stuck. What products should I consider? PO smeared some kind of epoxy-looking stuff over the worst of it and it has actually held up in some areas. I'm not expecting miracles or permanent solutions, of it holds up OK for 2 years I'll call it good.

dculberson (Forum Supporter)
dculberson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/26/20 1:22 p.m.

Fill your crack with Polyurea. My shop floor had some doozies in it and I had a guy suggest it and he put it in, it's held up just great for 6 years so far.

Search for "polyurea crack filler."

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
5/26/20 1:40 p.m.
dculberson (Forum Supporter) said:

Fill your crack with Polyurea.

If I had a dime...

But seriously, polyurea is awesome. It also makes a really nice floor covering that would protect concrete from road salt and solvents and things that have obviously taken a toll on that slab over the years.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
5/26/20 1:50 p.m.

In the cement section of the local HD you'll find crack repair stuff in a squeeze bottle that works for the cracks. Where there are small pieces that could wobble from the weight of an engine hoist hoist or whatever I'd use the mix up powdered patch filler. Pressure wash prior to repairs.

My house is concrete block built in early 70's and I stripped all the old paint with a gas engine high pressure power wash, repaired all the cracks and other damages & repainted. Been about 4 years since I started the repairs and none of the cracks have showed back up (which actually surprises me).

Pbucket's been wonky the past couple days but I'll try a pic.

[URL=https://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/house/20180422_174115_zpsaaux6ezj.jpg.html][/URL]

5/26/20 9:57 p.m.

I didn't see any Polyurea products available OTC so I got this stuff instead:

and i did this with it:

I should have done this a week ago. Or 10 years ago. Anyway, it can take foot traffic tomorrow at 9PM and wheeled traffic on Friday at 9PM.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/26/20 10:54 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

I should have done this a week ago. Or 10 years ago. Anyway, it can take foot traffic tomorrow at 9PM and wheeled traffic on Friday at 9PM.

good thing the corvair isn't scheduled to run till at least November 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/27/20 6:22 a.m.

Why did it crack?  Your problem is solved by fixing the disease, not a symptoms. 

Mine has small cracks but that's because after building footings and block walls, I filled the inside with dirt.  I learned AFTER that I should have tamped it after ever 4-6" of dirt fill.  I tamped, not often enough.

YMMV.

5/27/20 8:53 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

totally agree with fixing disease, and that may come later. for now, i need to be able to roll my cherry picker and trans jack. slab was poured in 1979, no doubt there's been some settling over the decades that led to this. from what i can tell, it hasn't changed much in the 10 years i've lived here, other than the PO's "fix" crumbling a bit in use.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/27/20 9:35 a.m.

In some cases slabs crack because they are poured on expansive clay and were not designed to take the forces the moisture driven expansion/contraction forces these types of clays can generate. 

Houston is built on expansive clay and an amazing number of houses and garages have cracked slabs because of this.

I have seen 3 year old homes with cracked slabs due to expansive clay that either the engineer did not take into account in the foundation design or the contractor ignored the engineer's instruction and did not properly prepare the ground with non expansive fill before pouring concrete.. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wfuTe4POYluuNN5Aq8FuyGs4nOfRRXm1rEDxTrZSzIi6XigGcCAunc03xVnVBPEN