914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/26/12 2:14 p.m.
! Craigslist has given Statewidelist.com a CEAST AND DESIST so until further notice statewidelist.com will not be online. If you would like to send us your email so we can stay in contact please email

It worked fine yesterday.

DrBoost
DrBoost UberDork
5/26/12 2:40 p.m.

It didn't work for me yesterday.
Sad, I liked that site. Why would CL give a ceast and desist?

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid SuperDork
5/26/12 4:10 p.m.

I've never used that service, but it sounds useful.

Haven't they been having trouble with CL for a while? I imagine CL isn't making a profit off of them, so they want them to stop making their site easier to browse.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
5/26/12 4:18 p.m.

I honestly think craigslist is trying to cut back to a few cities. I think it's just too much, and Craig is a micromanager. I think it's gotten too big and he's afraid of it getting away from him.

ScottRA21
ScottRA21 Reader
5/26/12 4:29 p.m.

You'd think that the dude who runs Craigslist would look at all these "crawler" sites and figure it out:

Do the same thing.

Okay, I know he intended it to be just a "local classifieds only" thing, where you search for stuff in your own home town. But it has proved to be so damned popular, and effective, that people want to use it for more than just "their home town".

Up here in Canada, Kijiji seems to be catching on well, because it does support Native searching by Province. I thing Craigslist is possibly going to go under if they don't adapt and figure out that what the public wants, is to be able to more places at once.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UberDork
5/26/12 4:36 p.m.

The whole point of Craigslist from the beginning was local buying and selling.

MattGent
MattGent New Reader
5/26/12 6:05 p.m.

CraigsPro+ for iphone will do whatever you want

-Search all local (or however many you want) CLs

-Save searches

-Auto-search and alert you when something pops up

-Bookmark favorite ads

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
5/26/12 7:17 p.m.

I have 5 craigslists that are local to me, but not one for my area. It sucks searching all of them.

ThePhranc
ThePhranc HalfDork
5/26/12 7:27 p.m.
Derick Freese wrote: I have 5 craigslists that are local to me, but not one for my area. It sucks searching all of them.

This. Living in a smallish state and next to another local for me isn't just my city.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UltraDork
5/26/12 8:00 p.m.
DrBoost wrote: It didn't work for me yesterday. Sad, I liked that site. Why would CL give a ceast and desist?

The cynic in me says it's because eBay owns a chunk of it.

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
5/26/12 9:29 p.m.

what's a "ceast and desist" order?

maybe Craigslist doesn't want people to associate them with a site run by people that can't spell..

Duke
Duke PowerDork
5/26/12 9:34 p.m.

Crazedlist and Jaxed have bothe been shown the door, too.

keethrax
keethrax HalfDork
5/26/12 9:46 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: The whole point of Craigslist from the beginning was local buying and selling.

And when a product hits the real world, unintended applications of it often jump to the front. Fighting that is stupid on a number of levels.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
5/26/12 9:56 p.m.

I use Search Tempest.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
5/27/12 7:24 a.m.
mattmacklind wrote: I use Search Tempest.

Even that isn't working as well as it did a few weeks ago.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy PowerDork
5/27/12 7:37 a.m.

Damn... I used state wide all the time. even with dealing with the ads

Ranger50
Ranger50 SuperDork
5/27/12 7:58 a.m.
Nitroracer wrote:
mattmacklind wrote: I use Search Tempest.
Even that isn't working as well as it did a few weeks ago.

Yeah the barely two days ago worth of searching or two months ago ads suck. But by now, I know where I would go to get what I want, so I just go straight to the CL area and search. Takes me a bit longer, but I don't miss anything that isn't coming up in searches either.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/27/12 8:26 a.m.

Search tempest still works well enough to find the rust-free $800 E30 I picked up yesterday.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
5/27/12 8:30 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler:

Pics or it didn't happen

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/28/12 5:35 a.m.
stuart in mn wrote: The whole point of Craigslist from the beginning was local buying and selling.

Some people venture out more than a 2-block radius on their moped.

That said, you wouldn't believe how hard it was to contact people in North Carolina or Georgia when looking for a car. They'd see an out of state phone number and figure it was a scammer.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam UltraDork
5/28/12 8:17 a.m.
Derick Freese wrote: I have 5 craigslists that are local to me, but not one for my area. It sucks searching all of them.

Likewise. I don't just search Harrisburg, I search York (a mere 20 miles south of me), Lancaster (40 miles east), and sometimes Philadelphia, which is a hike but there's a lot of stuff there.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/28/12 8:23 a.m.
Strike_Zero wrote: In reply to Tom_Spangler: Pics or it didn't happen

Soon enough.....

SVreX
SVreX UltimaDork
5/28/12 7:48 p.m.

Craig Newmark has made Craigslist into a $150 million dollar per year company, with virtually no help from the outside, financial or otherwise.

He is ultra protective of his concept, and can't stand anyone else making money off what he does, or any variation thereof.

Though his primary revenue stream may possibly be dangerously close to pimping prostitutes, it's kind of hard to argue with his success.

He can afford to be an a$$ about it.

yamaha
yamaha Dork
11/27/12 9:31 a.m.

Aquatic watercraft?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VIIyyvltYc1tMFLZUwEIXokkgUlLkiwCdULqRbGHcKTTIrJBvdFFKs1IhEYVivuk