1 2 3 ... 8
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/25/22 12:15 p.m.

Title should be obvious.  What movies can you not stand that are critically acclaimed and or loved by many?  Here's a few of my list.

Braveheart.  Utter crap, badly acted, historically iffy, the best Scottish accent in the movie was by a guy who was meant to be Irish.  The clincher though, it was nominated for, but didn't' win, a best costume oscar despite 90% of the cast wearing tartan kilts all the time centuries before they were invented.   

Titanic.  Another epic E36 M3 show of an awful plot light movie.

This one will be controversial here.  John Wick II.  Loved the first movie.  Feel I should love the second movie, but I've tried to watch it three times now.  I can never get past half way without being board out of my head and giving up.  Never tried III due to the ongoing disappointment with II.

Have at it.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/25/22 12:23 p.m.

Black widow, eternals, 2016 ghost busters, live action Alice in Wonderland movies, pretty much every single Netflix original movie except Kill the Irishman, the godfather, umm anything Seth Rogan has made since Superbad (maybe not critically acclaimed but huge with my friends), anything AT ALL with Will Farrell in it, star wars movies starting with episode 1, really this list just goes on and on. 

You know, it would be a considerably shorter list just to write out movies I've actually not regretted wasting time watching. Especially movies made since around Y2K. 

Late edit. It's a real shame. I love movies. But I pretty much have to rely on independent cinema to see things and stories I want to see, albeit at scary low budgets and even lower talent levels. Or watch the same old movies over and over, because the big multibillion dollar studios are afraid to take a risk on a new idea when they can just put a fresh coat of paint on an old classic. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
1/25/22 12:25 p.m.

Dating myself here, but "Out of Africa."  Much critical acclaim, but in reality, a painfully long and wretchedly boring piece of rubbish.  Nothing against Streep or Redford, but as for the screenplay--some stories are just not interesting enough to make a film that runs for over two and a half hours. 

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/25/22 12:27 p.m.

I can't stand Forrest Gump...

Totally different genre, but hated Napoleon Dynamite too....

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/25/22 12:30 p.m.

In reply to Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) :

My name is Rico. I finally got over all the unfunny ass clowns calling me Rico Suave, and that horrid piece of E36 M3 comes out with an Uncle Rico and somehow took over the culture of people my age for a year or three. Absolutely wretched movie. 

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/25/22 12:32 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

I knew this would be good.  Love Out of Africa, great movie, well paced, brilliant acting and stunning cinematography with unbelivably beutiful backdrop.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/25/22 12:35 p.m.

Star Wars, all of them. I am baffled by the appeal. 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
1/25/22 12:38 p.m.

Rocky Horror Picture Show.

What the actual Berk?

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
1/25/22 12:39 p.m.

Avatar.  Was a huge hit, lauded in all the press.  I couldn't stand it.  Thought the story was stupid and wasn't that impressed with the aliens.

The Lord of the Rings films.  I know I have to turn in my software engineering business card by saying it, but I just can't keep up with the characters, the dialog or the story.  When the first one came out, I actually fell asleep in the theater trying to watch it.  My wife loves them and I take them as a good opportunity to nap.

-Rob

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/25/22 12:47 p.m.

The Revenant would be a recent example for me, it's a godawful movie

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP HalfDork
1/25/22 12:49 p.m.

Any 'Fast' movies from Tokyo Drift onward...

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/25/22 12:52 p.m.

American Graffitti. All the car shows and Hot Rod Magazine hyped the E36 M3 out of it, and after years of wondering what the appeal was, I finally found a copy at the local library and rented it. Maybe it's a generational thing, but I didn't really get the appeal. It's just watching a bunch of people that I never had a reason to care about futz around for an evening, and it keeps building up the big street race, and it finally gets to it at the very end of the film....and one of the cars crashes immediately. 

wae
wae PowerDork
1/25/22 12:55 p.m.

Lord of the rings.  Soooooo boring.

Wonder Woman.  Their depiction of WWI Germany was all off.  Not that WWI was good or anything, but they just transposed the evil of Nazism and the German leadership of WWII.  I just couldn't get past that.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
1/25/22 12:56 p.m.

Star Trek.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/25/22 12:59 p.m.

Anything Christopher Nolan. He goes out of his way to make his films as incomprehensible as possible: excessively convoluted plots, everyone speaks softly or with a mask/helmet on or a weird accent, music that is WAY TOO DAMN LOUD. This parody nails it.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/25/22 1:01 p.m.
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) said:

I can't stand Forrest Gump...

:golfclap:

Forrest Gump isn't the movie I hate the most.  But it's the movie I hate that the most other people seem to love.  I think it's relentlessly stupid from start to finish.

On the other hand, I can understand hating Napoleon Dynamite, but I actually love it.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/25/22 1:04 p.m.

Big Lebowski

Furious_E (Forum Supporter)
Furious_E (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/25/22 1:21 p.m.

Lord of the Rings is terrible and I'll fight anyone who thinks otherwise. Bunch of weirdos traipsing around the woods for 3+ hours.

All of the Marvel/DC movies of the past 10+ years. Haven't even seen most of them, it's just a genre that I have little interest in and unfortunately that seems to be all that Hollywood is capable of producing anymore. Oh another Spiderman movie, woohoo, did we really need to remake it for the third time this decade? Couple that with the fact that they all seem to have interlocking plot lines and I'd need to go back and watch 20+ hours worth of film (when I barely have the time, attention span, or desire to sit through one two hour film) just to understand half of what is going on in any one given movie and I could not possibly be less interested. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/25/22 1:23 p.m.

Any kids movies that have animals that talk and do things like play basketball.  

Air Buddies - there, I said it.  

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
1/25/22 1:24 p.m.

Endgame

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/25/22 1:24 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

That's another one for me:  Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy is truly terrible. Even Heath Ledger's phenomenal performance as the Joker - which was so good that it actually, permanently berked with Ledger's head - couldn't save those movies from Christopher Nolan.

Christopher Nolan can be brilliant, but he can also put out kilotons of dreck that he manages to convince a lot of other people is brilliant.  I think it's an 'Emperor's New Clothes' thing.

Dunkirk was absolutely fantastic, as was MementoInception and The Prestige were excellent.  Tenet was terrible, as are most of his other movies.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/25/22 1:25 p.m.

The first fast and furious movie. I made it 10 minutes, and stopped it.  That convinced me that I never wanted to try and watch any of the others.

Trent
Trent PowerDork
1/25/22 1:28 p.m.

I can understand that it was well made and well acted but I berkeleying hated "The sound of metal"

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/25/22 1:28 p.m.

My big one, which a trillion dollars' worth of revenue proves I'm in the minority about:

Pretty much every Disney movie ever made that wasn't Pixar-originated.  They're all total crap, even by the standards of children's entertainment.  Not suitable for anyone over 7.  And even then, most of them require corrective parenting to reduce the amount of damage done.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/25/22 1:30 p.m.
wae said:

Wonder Woman.  Their depiction of WWI Germany was all off.  Not that WWI was good or anything, but they just transposed the evil of Nazism and the German leadership of WWII.  I just couldn't get past that.

The MCU movies have their ups and downs, but the DC Universe movies are pretty universally bad.

1 2 3 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jzIc2WzR8gLuOv0Dh9NkY0NOvckRND8bCQe7q9W45EUuVnc4iaxBBv7F0c8YhPcO