Holy. Crap.

Kia_racer
Kia_racer New Reader
10/30/09 5:02 p.m.

Yeah, but how well does it furn?

Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
10/30/09 5:46 p.m.

Cars like that don't need to turn. Everything comes to them.

cwh
cwh SuperDork
10/30/09 6:06 p.m.

Those LOOONNGG dark winter night do bad things to car guys. But look at what they build, awesomeness.

procainestart
procainestart Dork
10/30/09 8:17 p.m.

That car is insane.

Build thread here (in Swedish, so via Google Translator): http://tinyurl.com/yc3s57c. I went through the Swedish version and found that the Swedish word for sleeper is...sleeper.

OK, found some more info on it in English: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133294

The Swedes have been stuffing radiators into trunks for years. The Pikes Peak AWD car had this configuration, as did (do??) several 9-3 rallycross cars (wheel-to-wheel European type).

As for turning, eh, while it appears to have the stock front double-wishbone suspension (with modified spindles and firewall-mounted rack), the engine is way farther forward than stock, so it probably turns...badly. Of course, as Appleseed notes, "Cars like that don't need to turn."

Teqnyck
Teqnyck New Reader
10/30/09 9:53 p.m.

This may be an admitting of my own ignorance, but why in the world would you leave a car like that carbureted? I mean, I've seen some pretty gnarly Audis, well into the 700-800hp range, so wouldn't it be easier to swap like an RS4 engine/drivetrain into a car like that? I'm confused....

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
10/30/09 10:38 p.m.

One of the Jalop commenters said he sees both carb'ed and FI pictures, and that it looks like the owner upgraded from carbs to FI.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Reader
10/31/09 12:38 a.m.

Ha! Take that ricers! BTW, what do you call people who build over-the-top sweedish cars? Meat ballers?

Shaun
Shaun Reader
10/31/09 12:58 a.m.
Teqnyck wrote: This may be an admitting of my own ignorance, but why in the world would you leave a car like that carbureted? I mean, I've seen some pretty gnarly Audis, well into the 700-800hp range, so wouldn't it be easier to swap like an RS4 engine/drivetrain into a car like that? I'm confused....

Good question... Tuning simplicity and traction for a Saab guy who knows what he is doing? monitor your exhaust temperature and mixture and adjust: fuel pressure, jets. timing, boost control = haul ass in ever bigger increments. Just a wild guess with no information other than this post.

The Swedes do fantastic things. Awesome dragster.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
10/31/09 12:52 p.m.

The Swedes quietly build some of the craziest cars out there. That is so rad.

I love the idle on that thing--so gnarly.

alex
alex Dork
10/31/09 1:09 p.m.
HappyAndy wrote: Ha! Take that ricers! BTW, what do you call people who build over-the-top sweedish cars? Meat ballers?

Swedish tuned speed: lutefisk.

andrave
andrave HalfDork
11/2/09 9:24 a.m.

caution, clicking any of hte pics on the "build thread" will throw more pop ups at your computer than you can click an X at.

81gtv6
81gtv6 GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/2/09 10:04 a.m.

That is soooooo sweet.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid HalfDork
11/2/09 3:47 p.m.

wow......they do some very kiiler things over there though....sigh.....

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam Dork
11/2/09 6:41 p.m.

That thing sounds possibly more badass than any other vehicle I've ever heard.

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Memberand SonDork
11/2/09 8:25 p.m.

Want.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
11/3/09 8:43 a.m.
Twin_Cam wrote: That thing sounds possibly more badass than any other vehicle I've ever heard.

AWD Turbo Saab 99 vs. AWD Turbo Polo

Heaven or hell, FIGHT!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm724dV--fg

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KMDvDhzEUaeO9D8Y4QnLlWzFWE2ZTtYXHPLRK3w5WcjbRl7M2rINt4xdiYYwHPUk