1 2 3
92dxman
92dxman Dork
10/6/14 12:39 p.m.

I am lacking a good bigger size wrench in my garage. I've paired it down to either a larger size crescent wrench or a set of two or three pairs of channel locks. What say yee GRM hive would get me the bigger bang for the buck?

KyAllroad
KyAllroad HalfDork
10/6/14 12:41 p.m.

What about a big monkey wrench? It was the only way to get out a stuck O2 sensor...

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
10/6/14 12:43 p.m.
KyAllroad wrote: What about a big monkey wrench? It was the only way to get out a stuck O2 sensor...

+1, if you are going to use something that will destroy the fastener, anyway. Get an aluminum handled one, though, your toolbox drawer will thank you.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
10/6/14 12:48 p.m.

Aluminum pipe wrench, Ridgid .

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
10/6/14 1:22 p.m.

Seriously, all of the above

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/6/14 1:27 p.m.

I'm with The Aussie. All of these have different applications and aren't something i'd cross-shop.

Ditchdigger
Ditchdigger UltraDork
10/6/14 1:41 p.m.

Knipex Pliers wrench?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
10/6/14 1:43 p.m.

Two different tools for two different tasks. If you need a wrench, don't use a Channellock.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
10/6/14 1:53 p.m.

Giant "crescent style" adjustable wrench from HF. Very handy. Channel-locks are handy too, but not for things that need to come off with the big adjustable wrench. And with that, you can put it back together too because you won't destroy it taking it apart.

Grizz
Grizz UltraDork
10/6/14 2:01 p.m.

Buy everything mentioned in this thread.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver UltraDork
10/6/14 2:18 p.m.

^ This ^

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
10/6/14 3:36 p.m.
Grizz wrote: Buy everything mentioned in this thread.

Add a chain wrench for good measure

Grizz
Grizz UltraDork
10/6/14 3:41 p.m.

Oh god yes.

And a strap wrench for when you don't want to scratch stuff.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/6/14 3:46 p.m.

knipex. Awesome.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi SuperDork
10/6/14 5:43 p.m.

I don't own a crescent wrench. I can't think of a reason to have one when I have every size wrench and the wrenches don't round off fasteners. YMMV.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/6/14 6:21 p.m.

at work I carry a Crescent Wrench at all times.. at home, I do not even have one in the toolbox

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
10/6/14 7:16 p.m.

You need both, though I'd put channel locks at higher priority.

The best channel locks are the style with the square cutout in the jaw, like these. I like my harbor freight set(pictured). They grab nuts very well, great for household plumbing work too.

I'll second.third whatever a proper pipe wrench as well.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy SuperDork
10/6/14 7:21 p.m.

If you are going to buy giant channel locks you need to buy quality ones, otherwise you might as well use BBQ tongs.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese UltraDork
10/6/14 7:33 p.m.

The only tool I buy the "Kleenex" of are Channellock pliers.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/6/14 7:36 p.m.

^Lol^

That's pretty true.

I agree with everything said so far.

I own a lot of tools. I own every tool mentioned in this thread.

Since you didn't give the option of owning several, my suggestion is the channel locks because....

...I use my big adjustable once a year. (Mine is REALLY big, like 2' long). I use my channel locks multiple times per week, every week.

But they ARE different tools, with different capabilities (as others have noted).

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
10/6/14 8:09 p.m.

They are all usefull, but when I need to pull a 2" nut off without making a mess, I most often use my absurdly big crescent wrench.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/6/14 8:33 p.m.

I will agree with everything listed. You need it all and several sizes of each.

What I grab depends on what I'm working one. Cars usually get big boy wrenches that fit properly. Tightening the legs on the dining room table, will probably get the Crescent wrench. Pulling the plastic plumbing on the bathroom sink, gets the Channel Locks every time. The rigid pipe on the well, gets the pipe wrench.

If you don't own a Crescent wrench, you are missing a important tool. Nothing is better for tweaking flat steel brackets, and other uses that have nothing to do with removing bolts and nuts. I've got them from 6" to 18", they are in the drawer labeled "Adjustable Nut Destroyers."

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/6/14 8:46 p.m.

the only thing i use the BIG crescent wrench for is gm cooling fan to water pump nuts.

how big are you trying to go? i'd just upgrade my wrench drawer.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
10/7/14 4:49 a.m.

we're coming up to the holiday season... which means tools will be on sale... buy as many of them as you can: the real Crescent Wrench and Channel Lock brand tools come in variety packs for not too much money..

might as well get some real Vise Grips, too, but they aren't as good as they used to be since they started making them "elsewhere"...

92dxman
92dxman Dork
10/7/14 10:31 a.m.

I'm looking for a good all purpose wrench. I don't have a big wrench to yank stuff with in the garage with some force. I have plenty of Vise Grips and smaller wrenches. I have a pair of Knipex Alligator Pliers which are awesome. That Knipex Plierwrench looks awesome until I saw the price of one .

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hoIRfffFDPMXsJpdPklbhEk8niKLmJAtT7PnIi6u8AxgdmKXczZnJ5QvLLpSD9jF