Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/1/22 7:17 p.m.

While at home for Thanksgiving, mom presented me with a box of "my old stuff" that had apparently escaped all prior rounds of her giving me old stuff from when I was a kid.

And this one was fun! Anyone remember the XMODS brand from radio shack? One of these cars I super-modified with bigger rechargeable batteries, AWD (seriously), "stage 2" motor, and working headlights. I was also going for underglow as well as a body swap with another model car (that sadly wasn't in the box, though IIRC it was a 2002, and no it was not an XMODS model).

I remember the local radio shack used to host races for these guys, which I attended and competed in a couple times. It was fun. 

Anybody else rock XMODS back in the day?

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
12/1/22 7:20 p.m.

PatG would pay dearly for the yellow one ...just sayin' iffen yur not already attached....

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/1/22 8:52 p.m.

Woot, Super Street. 

Powar
Powar UltraDork
12/2/22 10:57 a.m.

Oh man. I think I still have mine in the attic somewhere. I don't remember which bodies I had on mine though

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
12/2/22 12:15 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Woot, Super Street. 

Haha - I don't think I had discovered GRM yet. Certainly didn't know what autocross was. 

If someone has a tiny grm bumper sticker I'll gladly adhere it!

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
12/2/22 1:17 p.m.

Yes, I remember having them. Definitely had a Supra and a NSX,  fond memories swapping out all of the parts. Pretty sure I disposed of them by now but potentially they could be in the basement. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/2/22 1:51 p.m.

I had the predecessor to these, the "ZipZap" style cars. I remember I had a silver & black FD and some red car. I think only the body, motor, and maybe wheels could be swapped on those older ones.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/2/22 2:17 p.m.

I don't even know what that is.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
12/2/22 3:05 p.m.
bobzilla said:

I don't even know what that is.

They are a brand of rc car that is very small (but they were relatively cheap) and was sold by radio shack. They had a bunch of available fast and furious style "stage" upgrades that you could also buy and add onto your car. Like "need for speed underground" but in real RC life. 

I remember there was a hobby shop in the same strip mall as my local radio shack. The hobby store didn't have a car under about $300 but the XMODS were $50. When the hobby store hosted races they did them in the parking lot. When the radio shack hosted races they did them inside! 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
12/2/22 3:08 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

I had the predecessor to these, the "ZipZap" style cars. I remember I had a silver & black FD and some red car. I think only the body, motor, and maybe wheels could be swapped on those older ones.

Oh man now that I search those I am sure I had some of those too. 

They were hot wheel sized rc cars and the car charged by clipping to the remote for a while.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
12/2/22 3:11 p.m.

XMODS cars are bigger than zipzaps. The XMODS I have are about 8 inches long.

They even came with little magazines!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/2/22 3:17 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:
GameboyRMH said:

Oh man now that I search those I am sure I had some of those too. 

They were hot wheel sized rc cars and the car charged by clipping to the remote for a while.

Yep that's them. The remotes were either shaped like a sewing machine/really messed-up game controller, or cylindrical. Steering was by electromagnet - it had a centering spring and the rack could be magnetically pulled toward lock angle on one side or the other! Great for tabletop race courses laugh

SnJ_MAX
SnJ_MAX
12/19/22 9:58 a.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

I'm Still rocking my xmods I'm also one of the few enthusiasts creating new production products to support the Xmods community on FB I would upload more pictures but I live in the mountains internet's not too good

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
12/19/22 11:21 a.m.

They are kind of back with Hexmods:

https://www.hexbug.com/hexmods

MINIzguy
MINIzguy HalfDork
12/19/22 7:50 p.m.

My username came from the hobby grade Xmods equivalent. Sold all my Xmods during COVID but kept the Mini Z's.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
F1Csbdz65AOCkYmL6CRtL8Uhntk1QBy7mfkYYfeRwtCTmQLs7xsfxgWtfd06SW2u