1 2 3
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/1/22 1:17 p.m.

Remember when Audi came out with Nardo Grey and it was kinda awesome? 

Its been trickling down to all manufacturers, with mixed results but overall I liked the look. On a family vacation last week when passing a Subaru in this color, my sister said: did they say, 'paint it the same color as my electrical panel.' Dammit, now I can't unsee it. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/1/22 1:25 p.m.

How did you not see it the first time?

Worst colour ever, except maybe for the beige high fill primer colour the Japanese use sometimes.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/1/22 1:30 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

No, Nardo Grey is an awesome color. At least it was until every car manufacturer in the world latched onto it, and by extension, people.

Black is the worst color ever for cars that are not hearses or limousines.  You will not change my mind, so don't bother. Happy to share a cup of coffee and talk about something else, though.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
8/1/22 1:35 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Worst colour ever, except maybe for the beige high fill primer colour the Japanese use sometimes.

I'm with you.  Disliked it the first time I ever saw it.  Dislike it today.  Battleship gray.

Wxdude10 - Mike
Wxdude10 - Mike HalfDork
8/1/22 1:36 p.m.

I have to agree.  I didnt see electrical panel grey before.  I saw Lego piece grey, including the glossy finish.  

That color can be done now...

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
8/1/22 1:36 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Nope.

Garage floor paint does not belong on a car.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
8/1/22 1:45 p.m.
Duke said:

Black is the worst color ever for cars that are not hearses or limousines.  You will not change my mind, so don't bother. Happy to share a cup of coffee and talk about something else, though.

Your opinion is wrong.

The Last Buick Grand National Built Has Only 33 Miles And It's For Sale

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/1/22 1:59 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

There are exceptions that prove the rule, but they are extremely rare.

Most black cars end up as shapeless blobs, especially when 'murdered out' with black wheel and dark tint.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
8/1/22 3:07 p.m.
Duke said:

No, Nardo Grey is an awesome color. At least it was until every car manufacturer in the world latched onto it, and by extension, people.

Gonna go full pedantic and say that neither black nor gray are colors. They are values. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
8/1/22 3:11 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

What about white?

NickD
NickD MegaDork
8/1/22 3:18 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Debated. Some say that white is a color because it is the presence of all colors (while black is the lack of all color). Others say that white is not a color but a value because it is lacking any chroma.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/1/22 3:20 p.m.
NickD said:
Duke said:

Gonna go full pedantic and say that neither black nor gray are colors. They are values. 

Depends on the grey.  Grey comes in warm, true neutral, and cool variants.  Only true neutral grey is a value; the others are colors, since they contain yellow or blue overtones, respectively.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/1/22 3:29 p.m.

I still like it. Also like black.

Only colors I can't stand are white, silver and beige/gold. Two of my three cars are silver or gold...

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/1/22 3:52 p.m.

I live in FL. Black is out. I don't care how it looks, I don't want to drive a solar oven. White's my number one choice, but I haven't owned a white car in 15 years.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/1/22 3:59 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

I still don't see it. 

Then again, I can delineate between flat and glossy finishes. cheeky

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/1/22 4:02 p.m.
93EXCivic said:

I still like it. Also like black.

Only colors I can't stand are white, silver and beige/gold. Two of my three cars are silver or gold...

I love standard, gloss white on cars. That's the way I ordered my '13 Mustang GT a decade ago. I don't care for pearl white. My '06 350Z was pearl white, I liked it at first. But not matter how often I washed and waxed it, it always looked dirty to me.

If a straight, gloss white was offered on the new BRZ I would have ordered it that way instead of Red. 

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/1/22 4:17 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

I live in FL. Black is out. I don't care how it looks, I don't want to drive a solar oven. White's my number one choice, but I haven't owned a white car in 15 years.

I didn't like black cars when I lived in Wisconsin. Now that I live in California, I REALLY dislike them. Yet, it seems to be one of the most popular choices...in Wisconsin it's something I would have begrudgingly accepted for a car I otherwise really liked but out here, no way (unless it were something super crazy falling into my lap like a GNX or whatever).

I tend to like blues and greens on cars but if we're talking greyscale, I prefer interesting grey shades with some metallic depth, though plain old white also works well on some cars (Hondas come to mind). I think Nardo Grey was one of those colors that looked interesting when it first came out but I agree that it has now reached "overdone to death" status.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
8/1/22 4:57 p.m.

I think white enhances the inherent nature of the car it is on.

Ice white sportscars look sportier. White econoboxes look like rental cars. White vans and trucks look like fleet or work vehicles.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/1/22 5:21 p.m.
Beer Baron said:

I think white enhances the inherent nature of the car it is on.

Ice white sportscars look sportier. White econoboxes look like rental cars. White vans look like serial killer or pedo vehicles.

FTFY.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/1/22 6:19 p.m.
Duke said:

I'll take my coffee black as well. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
8/1/22 6:24 p.m.

So down a rabbit trail here I always felt there is only one color for Ferrari's (red). 

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/1/22 6:36 p.m.

Nardo Grey all day.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/1/22 6:53 p.m.

Huh huh huh...Nardo.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/1/22 7:04 p.m.
Peabody said:

In reply to Duke :

Nope.

Garage floor paint does not belong on a car.

I didn't know it was called Nardo Grey. I always called it Garage Floor Epoxy Grey. It is different from electrical panel grey, but only slightly. I don't hate it but I'm generally not a fan either. I am starting to wonder if it's the new beige, of "Beige Camry" infamy.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/1/22 7:11 p.m.

I've never quite understood how Nardo and other grays replaced Nogaro Blue as the "cool" Audi paint color...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HfRtOkvupc4yawfeLrH0PCiWhVda7qbFlPybD52oQJX0mDGpjH2T4juMYLwWFBAS