ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/25/21 6:53 p.m.

I'm trying to learn how to use deep pour epoxy.  A project I am currently planning involves using it to fill holes in some plywood that I will allow light to pass through.

I want the epoxy to fill the areas I remove from the plywood.

I want the finish product to be stained.  

What is my order of operations here?

Stain, then epoxy?  If so, I suspect sanding/finishing could be an issue without messing up the stain.

Epoxy, then stain?  Will be areas the wood has absorbed the epoxy be resistant to stain?

Is a seal-coat recommended in this case?  If so, what do I use for that?

Picture something like these discs.  I want stained wood on both sides, with epoxy filling the center.  The center doesn't have to be filled the full depth. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/26/21 6:48 p.m.

Anybody?

WonkoTheSane (FS)
WonkoTheSane (FS) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/26/21 7:16 p.m.

I'm only a YouTube expert, but I'd probably stain, poly to lock in the stain so it doesn't bleed into the epoxy, then epoxy.

Are you planning on sanding down the finish so it's raw wood exposed? If so, you'll likely need to stain again afterwards. Most videos seem to leave a thin layer of epoxy that's polished on top.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
3/26/21 10:29 p.m.

I've done a bit of messing with things like this. Anywhere the epoxy has "soaked" into the wood will prevent stain from being able to penetrate. There just won't be room in the grain for it. 

What I would do is probably the most annoying thing to do. Use a filler in the hole so the epoxy isn't poured "Flush" with either side of the plywood. Clay works and may be the easiest solution for making the thin "plug". That will center your epoxy in the hole and keep it from the areas that will show off your stain the most. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9AJlNImLcN7sFLe8RjkyEaNwWpymFX2POzeeCFeDXas19ZLzg2P6FdeDYRa4H5wb