1 2 3
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
2/10/23 9:29 a.m.

Our cat, Data, started losing weight and barely eating, so he went on a trip to the vet yesterday. We figured it would be something minor like a sore tooth, but instead got some very different news: His liver is covered in tumors and failing, to the point they didn’t even do a biopsy. They sent him home with some steroids and appetite stimulant, but the bottom line was clear: He won't live to see his 9th birthday this summer. He probably won't live another week. There's nothing more to be done except decide when to make the worst decision a pet owner ever makes. Nicole and I are completely shocked and completely devastated. We've both lost pets before, but we figured this phase of the process was still a decade away. It's never easy, but this feels particularly hard. He's going to have the best final few days possible, with all the treats and Chipotle burritos he can manage to eat. 

I'm not sure exactly what this thread is for, other than to vent and to share Data's story. So here it goes:

A friend of mine was doing IT work for the local police department, and found a kitten inside the server closet. Nicole’s a trekkie and I love puns, so we named him Data and brought him home.

From that day, he's basically always been by my side.

He'd even come out in the garage with me to work on projects.

He turned into a gigantic cat, eventually weighing 17 lbs. and being able to put his front paws on the counter from ground level. 

For nearly a decade, he's always been at my side. He sits with me on the couch, sleeps with me at night, and since the pandemic and work-from-home, spends every work day on his spot on the desk right next ot my laptop. Data was there when I put on my cap and gown to graduate, there when I put on my suit to get married, just plain there.

Thank you, Data, for all of the happy memories. Hopefully we'll be able to make a few more before you have to go.

wae
wae PowerDork
2/10/23 9:40 a.m.

Oh, wow...  That's awful news, I'm so sorry.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/10/23 9:41 a.m.

I'm sorry Tom. It would be better if they lived forever, wouldn't it.

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/10/23 9:45 a.m.

smudge is on my lap while browsing at the moment, and we feel for you... can relate. Cats generally make life better and it sounds like Data had that covered for you. I suggest extra treats and love for a very good boy.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/10/23 9:49 a.m.

That's terrible news. It makes me tear up thinking about it (we have 3 dogs and a cat)

All the beezchurgers and ice cream from here on out. 

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/10/23 9:55 a.m.

I'm so sorry to hear the bad news about your Data. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/10/23 10:00 a.m.

Ah jeez. I'm sorry Tom and Nicole, and all other friends of Data. That sucks. I hope Data gets to do all of his favorite things with his favorite companion(s) with his remaining time. Feline hookers and catnip?

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
2/10/23 10:03 a.m.
mtn said:

Feline hookers and catnip?

Basically. His favorite food is Chipotle burritos. No idea why, but he freaks out and will basically grab them out of your hand while you're actively eating.

I had a tooth pulled yesterday and am on a liquid diet (really was a fantastic day), but Nicole ran out and got him his favorite:

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/10/23 10:08 a.m.

Sad news indeed. My condolences. 

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
2/10/23 10:10 a.m.

As someone who recently lost my two best friends - Shiba Inu Jack and Afghan hound Max - my deepest sympathies to you and Nicole. Our furry friends certainly make our personal worlds a better place.

Enjoy your final moments with Data. I certainly treasured my final week with my pals and I feel they did, too. (Max even got some of my turkey bacon, which he really enjoyed to my surprise.)

Ultimately, do what your heart feels best. Talk about it. Don't talk about it. Walk aimlessly for hours (OK, maybe not that, but it's good exercise).

Many of us who are pet lovers are here for you.

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
2/10/23 10:14 a.m.

So sorry Tommy. Nothing but Chipotle for here on out for the little guy.

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
2/10/23 10:14 a.m.

Sorry for the news. It looks like you have given him a great life for a 'found' cat.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/10/23 10:17 a.m.

Oh man sorry to hear that.  Enjoy the time you have.  

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
2/10/23 10:19 a.m.

I felt absolutely gutted when I heard the news yesterday. My heart goes out to you and Nicole.

I was talking about it with my wife, and we both agreed: it feels like saying goodbye to a pet just hits you differently than saying goodbye to a person.

Not to say that one is more impactful or important or anything like that, it's just a different kind of pain, or something.

On a lighter note, our late Zoe still gets to hang out on my work desk:

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/10/23 10:23 a.m.

Crap.  Sorry man.  My Moxie dog is turning 15 this year.  She has had cancer (mast cell) for the last 5.  It's not a particularly bad cancer, more of an inconvenience.  It mostly makes little itchy tumors under her skin, but if one decides to develop somewhere important like brain, liver, or something there isn't much to be done.  Not looking forward to losing her.

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
2/10/23 10:25 a.m.

So sorry to hear this news.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/10/23 10:38 a.m.

I'm so sorry. Losing pets is awful. I wonder whether it's because our relationships with them are so uncomplicated, or perhaps because we can't tell them what's going on while we feel responsible for them.

Whatever the case, well done on giving him a good home, and I hope all of you get some joy from the unrestricted flow of burritos.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/10/23 10:46 a.m.

So sorry to hear that, Tom.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado UltimaDork
2/10/23 10:51 a.m.

Yeah, it's almost a crime that they don't live as long as we do. And that they get diseases that can half that. Tell Nicole that another Trekkie said, maybe there's a Soji out there looking for y'all. If you find a black & white female that loves burritos, bring her home.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
2/10/23 10:56 a.m.

Sorry to hear that. It's tough when you lose them so young.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
2/10/23 11:05 a.m.

Sorry to hear that. We lost a kitty this summer. It's never easy.

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/10/23 11:08 a.m.

Oh no.  Sorry to hear about this.  It is always hard to lose a pet.  Treasure what time you have left.

Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/10/23 11:08 a.m.

No question, Data has an amazing family and is living his best life.  I'm sorry about the news, but that is one happy cat. 

Enjoy your burritos Data.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/10/23 11:47 a.m.

That's sad news Tom. Enjoy the time while you can for sure. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/10/23 11:57 a.m.

Oh boy. My condolences.

Shortly after buying my first house I got my first dog, Louie. Later in life as he declined, we found a vet that only made house calls. Vet visits were always difficult for him but in later life they became nearly tamatic. The vet calls at home were great. 

When it came time to "make that decision" we handled the whole thing at home. We made things as hospice like as possible. No cold metal table for him and no need to walk out of an office building crying for ourselves. 

The inlaws had 10 acres so I handled the internment myself but the vet had options if needed. 

The vet mentioned that she handles this for a lot of people and you don't have to be a regular customer to get the service. 

Is there similar in your area? Might be worth a few phone calls/inquiries.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IK4YxId5xfiRbPzf7amjzWdrtf2gQkcsEnuWUvYxXpjQRrLpIQd1KKMWWdE8gqYe