1 2
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/6/22 4:23 p.m.

I don't know how i would know this...  wink  But I once heard of a dog jumping out of a window of a Class A RV.  The embarassing part was when the VIR track P.A. asked the owner to come get the dog off pit lane.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/6/22 5:15 p.m.

This is our leash. We mostly use the 2dr Golf to cart the girls around so don't use the seatbelt bit but it is cool to have:

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/6/22 5:29 p.m.

We also use a harness in the car for my dog. Keeps him out of my lap and holds him in the car. I either just clip the tether from the seatbelt to his walking harness or put on the car harness. Easy peasy and everyone stays safe. 

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/6/22 6:39 p.m.

I was a kid when I saw a dog jump from a car (Chevelle). It was a bloody mess. Lots of screaming and crying. From the woman in the car and the guy driver.

Today I teach driver education and currently have three dogs.

1. Dogs are not stupid where vehicles are concerned. They're dogs. They do not necessarily comprehend what they are experiencing.

2. Pets become projectiles in vehicle crashes. A fifty pound dog becomes the equivalent of 1500 pound force in a 30 mph crash. F=ma.

3. Our dogs are always tethered and harnessed or crated when travelling. Kurgo makes some great harnesses. We sell them at my wife's store. They have metal clasps and latches. Plastic is useless. Check out the Center for Pet Safety dot org for some interesting video reviews of harnesses and crates.

4. Wire mesh barriers and crates will not, I repeat, will not protect you or your pet. They collapse horribly in crashes. They really only confine the pet to an area of the car under normal circumstances.

5. Windows should only be lowered enough to allow a dog to sniff the air. Do you let your kid hang out the door, head out the windows? See that glass there? Makes a nice guillotine. Why do you allow your dog to do this then?

6. Dogs in beds of truck, on laps, or roaming around the interior are unsecured loads. And a distraction. And a visual obstruction. And can compromise your ability to maneuver a vehicle in an emergency.

/Rant

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/6/22 6:43 p.m.
WilD said:

When I was a child, my dog fell out of the bed of an F-150 while leaning over the side for a better sniff of air.  Luckily, I was also in the bed of the truck and managed to grab part of her and scream for my dad to stop before we both went over.

The southern version of Darwin's survival of the fittest.  If you survived to adulthood then you got to sit in the cab.  Only the best southern kids made it.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/6/22 7:28 p.m.
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) said:

I was a kid when I saw a dog jump from a car (Chevelle). It was a bloody mess. Lots of screaming and crying. From the woman in the car and the guy driver.

1. Dogs are not stupid where vehicles are concerned. They're dogs. They do not necessarily comprehend what they are experiencing.

2. Pets become projectiles in vehicle crashes. A fifty pound dog becomes the equivalent of 1500 pound force in a 30 mph crash. F=ma.

3. Our dogs are always tethered and harnessed or crated when travelling. Kurgo makes some great harnesses. We sell them at my wife's store. They have metal clasps and latches. Plastic is useless. Check out the Center for Pet Safety dot org for some interesting video reviews of harnesses and crates.

4. Wire mesh barriers and crates will not, I repeat, will not protect you or your pet. They collapse horribly in crashes. They really only confine the pet to an area of the car under normal circumstances.

5. Windows should only be lowered enough to allow a dog to sniff the air. Do you let your kid hang out the door, head out the windows? See that glass there? Makes a nice guillotine. Why do you allow your dog to do this then?

6. Dogs in beds of truck, on laps, or roaming around the interior are unsecured loads. And a distraction. And a visual obstruction. And can compromise your ability to maneuver a vehicle in an emergency.

/Rant

Quoting for emphasis. I'll add that the other issue with letting your dog ride with it's head out of the window is the significant risk of eye damage. 

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
10/6/22 7:36 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) said:

/Rant

Quoting for emphasis. I'll add that the other issue with letting your dog ride with it's head out of the window is the significant risk of eye damage. 

For that you need doggles...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/6/22 8:06 p.m.

I cringe when I see a snack sized dog on someone's lap while driving .  You know what happens to it when the airbag deploys?

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/7/22 2:37 a.m.
Appleseed said:

I cringe when I see a snack sized dog on someone's lap while driving .  You know what happens to it when the airbag deploys?

It goes from snack size to bite size?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gxPNuisENEpqlQNeDa70kLeolzSv7fU5aunyzEQIAyevRR7tHkegqmRgJQ8nHlm4