Carsandbikes
Carsandbikes Reader
6/5/22 2:26 p.m.

I think that I might need a new 'frig, friday I went out of town for a few hours and when I got back I snacked on part of a pint of ice cream...all seemed good.  Then a few hours later I went back for a bit more ice cream and it was soft.  (I live alone, and don't think that I left the freezer door partly open.)

I turned up the controls on the frig and freezer.  They had been at mid-range and no food had spoiled though I often suspected that the freezer wasn't keeping food as cold as it did when I moved into this house 4 years ago. Sometimes ice cubes in the storage bin were a tad wet feeling.

Long story short...after upping the setting in the frig/freezer the compressor now cycles on 45 minutes then off 45 minutes around the clock.  Looking at info on the net is not helping.  Bought a new frig and it will be delivered the 6th of June.  

Thoughts?  Advice?

BTW, I live in a small town with the nearest repairman 30 minutes away so just getting a diagnosis seemed like it was going to be expensive. 

rustyvw
rustyvw GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/5/22 2:42 p.m.

I would check the external coils either behind or under the fridge.  If they are too dirty, the refrigerant can't work the way it's supposed to.  I would also put a thermometer in the freezer so you can accurately tell whats going on.

Carsandbikes
Carsandbikes Reader
6/5/22 3:02 p.m.

In reply to rustyvw :

I looked at the coils under the frig, I can't see anything wrong though they were a dirty orange (rust color?).

I think I jumped the gun by buying the new frig without checking out the temps, but something that I forgot to add: before upping the settings inside the frig the top of the freezer unit (on outside) was room temp while side of refrig was cool.

I guess I am doomed to second guessing whenever I spend more than $20.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/5/22 3:53 p.m.

What kind of fridge?

That happened to my old GE side by side. Freezer wasn't freezing but the fridge cooled fine. Repair guy had me clean out the freezer and them he removed the inside back cover. Behind the cover was a wall of ice. So it cooled great but it froze up disallowing airflow. 

Had to replace a "reheat coil" which took about three minutes once the ice was melted and out of the way. I'll bet you have something similar happening. 

Carsandbikes
Carsandbikes Reader
6/5/22 4:56 p.m.

In reply to OHSCrifle :

It's a GE refrigerator but the freezer is on the top.  Been checking on it all weekend and the on-off cycles are getting longer in duration.   On for 50 minutes, off for 40-45 minutes with minimal door openings all day. 

I pulled the unit away from the wall by a few inches, all that I see on 1 side is metal covers top to bottom. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EpJ9chfJQDDAU5HG0rtRN6vecWkk1wIwzj4gvs8AnlPjCVkQH7oYwLD2gvTJQynb