1 2
j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
11/10/22 9:37 a.m.
TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/10/22 9:53 a.m.

I think generally the standing/variable desks do best for people with nerve or joint issues. Those that i know that used them loved them. They also were having pain issues sitting all day. 

my wife has the powered one and will switch it up depending on her nerve pain. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/10/22 12:32 p.m.

I would get an actual standing desk, not that little prop. They are more expensive, but they are worth it. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/10/22 1:17 p.m.

I would agree to try one out first if you can.  I have one I got from Costco (memory presets, charging ports etc).  I honestly rarely use it, it's just a bit weird for me.  It is nice after coming in from a walk to make it easier to cool down.  It's a good desk either way, so I don't consider it a waste.

My wife does not even have a chair, she stand the entire day.  Way better for her back.  She uses the one that sits on top of a desk as shown previously, works fine (but is always up).

Of note: some recent studies I believe show that while sitting all day can be bad... so can standing.

To each his own.  Never assume something is better for everyone.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/10/22 1:19 p.m.

In reply to j_tso :

That is pretty cool. And also very expensive. surprise

It would need some seriously industrial sound effects when it moves. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/10/22 2:52 p.m.
aircooled said:

Of note: some recent studies I believe show that while sitting all day can be bad... so can standing.

Not sure what you're calling recent, but I don't think this is new. I remember our facilities director at one of my jobs saying similar, and this was 7 years ago. 

Frankly, it makes a lot of sense to me. I hate standing for very long, in just about any situation. I don't mind walking at all, I'm happy skating for 6 hours a day, but standing in one spot for more than 30 minutes and I'm hurting, bad. 

For me, this is why the sit-stand aspect is so important. Sit for an hour, stand for 30-45 minutes. Sit for an hour, go to the bathroom, stand for 30 minutes. Sit for a while, go eat lunch and walk the dog, etc. I personally think that having all of that varied during the day results in much less RSI.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/10/22 5:33 p.m.

I've got an Ikea motorized sit/stand desk. I don't switch it into standing mode often but it's really god send when I have back issues as it tends to provide some additional relief if I can work standing up. The cats don't appreciate it though as they like to nap on my desk when I'm working and moving it up makes it harder for them to get on the desk.

If I was doing more work standing up, I would consider a treadmill desk as walking should be better on the back than standing.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
11/27/22 8:15 a.m.

I've tried to like my stand up desk, but I just flat out don't like it. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qg6xJZsXGDvL4daZAHq0QRzPDSa4M8F5dLbGSlVIcbTa33iglt1ZXXbcN9rqc6OX