1 2 3 4
SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/2/22 8:05 a.m.

Wordle is like the pinewood derby. It's so seemingly simple that everyone thinks they have a formula to beat it. 

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
3/2/22 10:38 a.m.
Steve_Jones said:

In reply to Beer Baron :

As posted above I use Audio for the vowels, and every so often start with table or stump if I want to switch it up

Arise seems to work pretty well too... Only difference between it and soare is 'i' vs 'o'.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/2/22 12:18 p.m.

There are a lot of different strategies...

I've seen vowel strategies and frequency strategies.  Frequency strategy appears to be more accurate than vowel strategy.  That's why I don't like Audio or Patio.

I haven't seen much consideration given to consonant combinations, blends, digraphs, and trigraphs.

Every word will have vowels.  65% of 5 letter words will have more than 1 vowel. So, vowels matter (and there are only 5 of them, so eliminating vowels is good).

The vast majority of 5 letter words will ALSO have consonant combinations.  Most of them will have 2.

I am currently using SHEAR as a starting word.  E, A, and R are the 3 most common letters in English.  S is used frequently.  It helps eliminate every 4 letter word with an S tacked on, but also helps with consonant combinations.  Combinations like SH, ST, SK, SL, SCR, STR, SPR, and SPL will all be eliminated.  

H is not usually considered because it is not a common letter.  But it is VERY common in consonant combinations like SH, TH, CH, TCH, PH.  And having it in the 2nd position really helps.  If S is grey but H is green, I've probably got a TH (or perhaps a CH) at the beginning.  If the H is yellow, there is a good chance it is at the end.

The R also helps with combinations like BR, DR, TR, GR and CR.

I've had SHEAR show up entirely grey.  That helps me a lot.  I will usually follow that with MOUNT.  That's a pretty good assault on the alphabet, the vowels, AND the combinations (I will get screwed on the more unique less common letters).  But I need a better attack on the letter I...

VIVID was rough!  Especially when I tried CIVIC.

Yep!  Like many folks, I have been over-thinking this game! cheeky

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/2/22 12:35 p.m.
Mndsm said:
Beer Baron said:

I used to do ADIEU. Switched over to SOARE as mentioned. Watched a video where someone trained a program to learn to solve wordle, and it came up with SOARE as the strongest opener.

The other day when the word was VIVID, that drove me nuts.

That one made me have fits. I'm still mad as hell about today's though, I don't think that one's fair. 

Huh...

Today's seemed pretty straight forward

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
3/2/22 1:11 p.m.
SV reX said:

I am currently using SHEAR as a starting word.  E, A, and R are the 3 most common letters in English.  S is used frequently.  It helps eliminate every 4 letter word with an S tacked on, but also helps with consonant combinations.   

do you think HEARS would be better so you can see if that S is at the end?

and yes, today's wasn't bad. Yesterday's was tough. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/2/22 1:38 p.m.

In reply to jfryjfry :

I thought of that. I figure if the S is yellow, there is a really good chance it belongs at the rear. Having the H in the 2nd position seems to help me more (because it helps me know about letter combinations)

If the H in the 2nd position goes grey, it eliminates all words that start with TH, SH, CH,   PH, etc. If it goes yellow, it's probably at the rear (or maybe the front, but the 2nd letter then is probably a vowel). If it goes green, then I have a very good guess what the starting letter is (odds are it's a T, because I already learned it's not an S) 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/2/22 1:54 p.m.
Driven5 said:

Arise seems to work pretty well too... Only difference between it and soare is 'i' vs 'o'.

Until you consider position.

Every letter in SOARE is more common in those positions then ARISE.  

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
3/2/22 2:05 p.m.
Driven5 said:

I see that it requires you to use words from the pre-determined list, presumably so that you can't use non-word based strategies.

Interesting that apparently 'chode' is on the list, but not 'whore'.

I cannot attest to the accuracy of your statement, but I find it interesting that "whore" would not be recognized, but "soare" would be recognized.   "Whore" is widely-used, and we all know that "soare" is among the most obsolete of English words, last seeing common usage near the end of the 18th Century.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
3/27/22 4:31 p.m.

Todays really challenged me. I got it in 5 but it was rough. I had zero letters until turn 3. I managed to get 3 more on the next turn so was able to get it after that. What a challenging word!

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
3/27/22 4:36 p.m.
dculberson said:

Todays really challenged me. I got it in 5 but it was rough. I had zero letters until turn 3. I managed to get 3 more on the next turn so was able to get it after that. What a challenging word!

Agreed!

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
3/27/22 4:50 p.m.

Today was 3, but I got lucky on Thursday  and got it in 1

Wordle 278 1/6

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/27/22 6:04 p.m.

I don't use any of the "statistically best words." To start.  I just pick whatever five letter word comes into my mind whenever I decide to do it. Sometime those words are terrible. Like today I started with "wagon" because I was sitting on my porch and saw my kid's wagon sitting there. That makes it more challenging, But still undefeated :)

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/27/22 6:45 p.m.
dculberson said:

I used up enough letters the first two tries that I got it in three but it took a lot of thinking to get there.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
3/27/22 7:54 p.m.

Today's was not cool. It's a 5 for me, dawg.

stukndapast
stukndapast Reader
3/28/22 9:49 a.m.
SV reX said:

VIVID was rough!  Especially when I tried CIVIC.

I have only been playing this for a week or so, and didn't realize that the answer could contain the same letter more than once.  That could make it a lot harder.  I did like the one this week that didn't have any of the "normal" vowels.

wae
wae PowerDork
3/28/22 9:57 a.m.

I could only think of two words that would work for yesterday's and the correct answer was my second guess, unfortunately.  For today's, I had the last four letters correct on my second word, but the first letter wasn't any of my first 3 guesses.  That's two days in a row of 5/6.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/28/22 10:47 a.m.

In reply to wae :

I had a similar thing today.

When I realized how many different first letter options there were, I sacrificed a guess so I could eliminate as many as possible.  Got it in 4.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/28/22 10:53 a.m.
SV reX said:

In reply to wae :

When I realized how many different first letter options there were, I sacrificed a guess so I could eliminate as many as possible.  Got it in 4.

I'm playing in "hard mode".  I had 4 guesses at the first letter while knowning the last 4, but didn't get it :(

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
3/28/22 10:57 a.m.
SV reX said:

In reply to wae :

Yup.  I just plain got lucky.  My first time with a 6.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/28/22 11:10 a.m.

FYI, for those who want to hear about the history of the game, this is a surprisingly interesting article. Also, TIL that the inventor's name is Wardle.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022/03/wordle-creator-describes-games-rise-says-nyt-sale-was-a-way-to-walk-away/ 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/28/22 11:21 a.m.
ProDarwin said:
SV reX said:

In reply to wae :

I'm playing in "hard mode".  I had 4 guesses at the first letter while knowning the last 4, but didn't get it :(

Right.

I knew the last 4 on the 2nd guess, and had already eliminated 4 different possibles for the first letter, but was still able to think of 4 more possibles.

So, I used a throwaway word which I knew was wrong, but it used 3 of the remaining 4 options.  Which left me with only 1 remaining word I could think of.

I was right.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/28/22 11:25 a.m.

Yeah sometimes those throwaways are a gamechanger.

Has this thread already covered the Wordle spinoff games?

These two are great

Nerdle (numbers/math) https://nerdlegame.com/

Worldle (geography) https://worldle.teuteuf.fr/

travellering
travellering HalfDork
3/28/22 11:46 a.m.

I definitely had an error 404 on today's wordle.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/28/22 9:30 p.m.
travellering said:

I definitely had an error 404 on today's wordle.

I hate when I work out the last four letters by the third attempt.. but there are seven possible first letters so I fail to get it. 

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/29/22 10:23 a.m.

Oof, some good stuff in the first guesses! I've been trying to go off the top of my head, but falling back to TRADE and PIOUS a lot when I can't think of anything to get the vowels covered.

Also enjoy worldle, which I'm terrible at. But I guess I'm learning geography?

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2g1lRV48g3j0GVXkfb1Wrcdlz8ABPaYPHcneShyBFMfpZHYV4RteYcEpNgxfmVgZ