1 2
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/30/22 7:40 p.m.

Currently in the interview process with them for a Senior Technical Writer position (same title I've currently had for almost 6 years at my current gig). Still a long way to go (a few more rounds). 

But they searched me out to apply, spoke with their internal recruiter and applied. Then made it through the screening call with the same recruiter and have an interview with the hiring manager next week.

The main thing I'm curious about is if the work/life balance is actually as they present it. Apparently many of the people in her team, including the manager, have been there 6+ years. Which to me is a good sign.

procainestart
procainestart Dork
7/30/22 8:37 p.m.

I do not nor have not worked for them, but I've worked as a tech editor/writer in the Seattle area, and the word I hear from a former colleague who left for Amazon, as well as current/former Amazon employees/contractors via the local Society for Tech Comm chapter is, it really depends on the department. My former colleague now works on AWS stuff, and they really like their job, FWIW. The fact that your potential team has staff with 6+ years would bode well, I imagine. In contrast, I have two neighbors, one a writer (basically a tech writer, mixed with SEO and marketing elements), and one a marketing/writer-type, who were both pretty much chewed up and spat out by Amazon.

You're probably aware, but if you'd be moving to the area, it's worth noting that Seattle is really expensive, traffic remains terrible (if I weren't an avid bike commuter, I'd move), and the gray, wet, low-light winters are, for many, a coarse-grit belt sander to the soul.

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
7/30/22 8:49 p.m.

The maint. techs I have known that used to work for them, so not speak well of them. But that is all ex employees. And that's the hands on side, so...

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/30/22 9:06 p.m.

Paging fueled by caffeine...

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/30/22 9:56 p.m.
procainestart said:

I do not nor have not worked for them, but I've worked as a tech editor/writer in the Seattle area, and the word I hear from a former colleague who left for Amazon, as well as current/former Amazon employees/contractors via the local Society for Tech Comm chapter is, it really depends on the department. My former colleague now works on AWS stuff, and they really like their job, FWIW. The fact that your potential team has staff with 6+ years would bode well, I imagine. In contrast, I have two neighbors, one a writer (basically a tech writer, mixed with SEO and marketing elements), and one a marketing/writer-type, who were both pretty much chewed up and spat out by Amazon.

You're probably aware, but if you'd be moving to the area, it's worth noting that Seattle is really expensive, traffic remains terrible (if I weren't an avid bike commuter, I'd move), and the gray, wet, low-light winters are, for many, a coarse-grit belt sander to the soul.

Yup, it's with the AWS group. 

It's a full remote gig. Many tech companies are highering Tech Writers at my level, 14+ years of experience with varied industries (manufacturing, defense, aerospace/production, CAD, version control, XML, software) remote. I've also mentored multiple new writers, all that kind of stuff. 

I'm mainly just kind of bored and looking for a new challenge. But I will admit, in the intial call with their internal recruiter we went over compensation...........and to be frank, where I live it would literally be life changing money. Like I do pretty decent for Oklahoma, but were I to land one of the few positions they have open, it would DOUBLE my current base pay. 

procainestart
procainestart Dork
7/30/22 11:14 p.m.

If you want to PM me the name of the group, I can ask my former colleague if she knows about it, has any beta for you.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/31/22 12:43 a.m.
procainestart said:

If you want to PM me the name of the group, I can ask my former colleague if she knows about it, has any beta for you.

Yeah, I would greatly appreciate that!

EDIT: I went to your page and didn't find your email. 

procainestart
procainestart Dork
7/31/22 1:38 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

900notch at Google's email domain

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/31/22 12:15 p.m.
procainestart said:

In reply to z31maniac :

900notch at Google's email domain

Sent your way!

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/31/22 4:54 p.m.

As a technical writer myself, and also someone who lives and works in the Bay Area, I interact with a fair number of Amazon people.

By and large I would say their reputation trends negative and the joke is that Amazon is a revolving door "PIP factory" (PIP being the shorthand for performance improvement plan, the precursor to getting fired). WLB reviews are mixed to negative as well. However there is definitely a group that absolutely loves their jobs and says they have good WLB, so that's not universally the case by any means.

Amazon has its fingers in a lot of pies so I think a key factor is being on an established team that upper management perceives as valuable. I have heard that working on some of the weirder products that never took off (like their Luna game streaming device for example) is absolutely miserable and just feels like a death march.

I don't know if you're familiar with the anonymous workplace app/website Blind but you should check it out and ask about the org you'd be working in. Tons of Amazon folks there.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/31/22 5:48 p.m.

My sister was a manager for the post office and then at an Amazon DC.  I was approved to become an Amazon delivery service partner.  Honestly, my impression was the company comes before family 100% of the time.  This happens to be the exact reason there are so many jobs right now that no one wants.  

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/31/22 6:33 p.m.
pointofdeparture said:

As a technical writer myself, and also someone who lives and works in the Bay Area, I interact with a fair number of Amazon people.

By and large I would say their reputation trends negative and the joke is that Amazon is a revolving door "PIP factory" (PIP being the shorthand for performance improvement plan, the precursor to getting fired). WLB reviews are mixed to negative as well. However there is definitely a group that absolutely loves their jobs and says they have good WLB, so that's not universally the case by any means.

Amazon has its fingers in a lot of pies so I think a key factor is being on an established team that upper management perceives as valuable. I have heard that working on some of the weirder products that never took off (like their Luna game streaming device for example) is absolutely miserable and just feels like a death march.

I don't know if you're familiar with the anonymous workplace app/website Blind but you should check it out and ask about the org you'd be working in. Tons of Amazon folks there.

I'll check it out. In case you have heard of anything before, this is the AWS Identity Docs group. 

And if you know of any remote positions........... laugh

pointofdeparture
7/31/22 7:10 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Haha, I might or might not be looking myself...company has posted losses for two quarters straight and it's starting to feel like the higher-ups are asleep at the wheel indecision

Check out gigs with cybersecurity providers like CrowdStrike and Palo Alto Networks, most of them pay quite well and are open to remote. CS is also pretty recession-proof which means stability. (I interviewed with a team at Palo Alto and really liked the management, but despite good feedback I got passed over for a more experienced candidate.)

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/31/22 8:13 p.m.
pointofdeparture said:

In reply to z31maniac :

Haha, I might or might not be looking myself...company has posted losses for two quarters straight and it's starting to feel like the higher-ups are asleep at the wheel indecision

Check out gigs with cybersecurity providers like CrowdStrike and Palo Alto Networks, most of them pay quite well and are open to remote. CS is also pretty recession-proof which means stability. (I interviewed with a team at Palo Alto and really liked the management, but despite good feedback I got passed over for a more experienced candidate.)

I'm in a strange position as a Senior Technical Writer. I have an incredibly varied experience (15 years this December) with manufacturing (and many different subsets in there from Marine Propulsion to winches), defense, aerospace, and user-facing software for eCommerce. As well as mentoring new writers in my current position. 

But a lot of companies are looking for the one skill set I haven't had a chance to develop yet......API Documentation. So I'm going to start looking at decent courses and possible certifications for it. As I'm sure you know, API docs is at the top of the pay scale in tech docs. 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
7/31/22 8:18 p.m.
z31maniac said:

In reply to z31mania:

....and to be frank, where I live it would literally be life changing money. Like I do pretty decent for Oklahoma, but were I to land one of the few positions they have open, it would DOUBLE my current base pay. 

That's about all I'd need to know.

Go for it and bank some cash.

pointofdeparture
7/31/22 8:48 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

API documentation is a great subset of the field to be in at this moment, but it's easily offshorable and there are even AI tools being built to handle it so it might not shake out too well long-term. It's a good skill to have in your pocket, I did some of it at my last job, but I wouldn't make too hard of a pivot.

I have worked for two companies now where API docs were all done in India (with the rationale that it's developer documentation instead of end user documentation and developers just need to see enough to know how the API is structured and how the fields validate, which doesn't require as much English writing as traditional documentation).

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/31/22 9:00 p.m.
pointofdeparture said:

In reply to z31maniac :

API documentation is a great subset of the field to be in at this moment, but it's easily offshorable and there are even AI tools being built to handle it so it might not shake out too well long-term. It's a good skill to have in your pocket, I did some of it at my last job, but I wouldn't make too hard of a pivot.

I have worked for two companies now where API docs were all done in India (with the rationale that it's developer documentation instead of end user documentation and developers just need to see enough to know how the API is structured and how the fields validate, which doesn't require as much English writing as traditional documentation).

Interesting. In the words of Johnny Carson, "I did not know that."

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi HalfDork
7/31/22 9:03 p.m.

Do either of you happen to have experience and interest in computer architecture?

pointofdeparture
7/31/22 9:36 p.m.

In reply to mikeatrpi :

I'm a lifelong computer hobbyist and I currently work for a well-known networking hardware company, so I don't know how close that gets me.

FWIW, Intel has rejected a few of my job applications over the years, but seeing their stock tumbling right now, that might be a bullet dodged cheeky

procainestart
procainestart Dork
8/1/22 1:29 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Does your defense experience include dealing with federal export or data security regulations? DoD is rolling out a cybersecurity certification (search CMMC, or try here) that is going to be required of contractors to do business with DoD agencies. If you know how the defense industrial base works, and have worked with controlled unclassified or classified information, then perhaps a pivot to cybersecurity could work, CMMC, in particular.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/1/22 7:45 a.m.

I worked at amazon corporate for a while.  TLDR, really depends on your direct leadership and team. 

they will push yiou hard and it wk have both good and bad effects on you. One you'll be amazed at what you can do and what you and team will do. Two. The churn will burn you out.  Directions change constantly and if you can't handle thst it'll hurt. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/1/22 10:17 a.m.

In reply to procainestart :

No, we built power distribution systems for submarines and DDG class (I think) vessels. I don't think there is a contractor out there that would be willing to pay me enough to deal with bureaucracy of all that again. devil

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

Gotcha. I would say I'm used to changing priorities, guess it would depend on exactly what that means in this context. 

I will say I've read plenty of stories, that people take the pay, put in their 4 years to vest the RSU sign on bonus, and then go elsewhere. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/15/22 12:17 p.m.

Had my interview last week, went 90 minutes. Didn't get a good vibe/wasn't clicking with the interviewer. 

Got the email earlier I'm no longer in consideration. No biggie, still have a good job and will keep looking. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/22 1:32 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

i'm picturing your interviewer adjusting their bib at the all-you-can-eat baggadicks buffet.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/22 1:39 p.m.

From what I've heard of Amazon corporate, you couldn't pay me to work there. I might take my chances in a warehouse for a while if I was in a tough situation though.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0Hlk081SW2epOV4IyOGyO59GD18WWusKpxJPhkV6WtZNQNBpd8Tr5OyDTnPgr11O