Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
6/16/22 3:59 p.m.

I'm selling some old lawn equipment on Craigslist (less than $150 value)

I get an email response from a guy named "Kenny".  This is literally the only thing in the message:

"where in the berkeley is it located dumb ass??"

Does Kenny ( and idiots like him) actually think he's going to get a response using this strategy?

(note of clarification, I always use the "pin" for location on the Craigslist map, so anyone who has eyes, already knows the approximate location)

.end Rant.

Does this kind of E36 M3 happen to anyone else?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/16/22 4:07 p.m.

Angry man in mom's basement just desires any attention even if that attention is a provoked internet battle. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/16/22 4:10 p.m.

Did Basement Kenny leave a callback number or e-mail?  

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
6/16/22 4:36 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Nope. 

A reply would go through Craigslist automated message reply loop

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
6/16/22 4:37 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Isn't that what Facebook is for?

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
6/16/22 4:46 p.m.

Right click. Delete.

I find myself doing that a lot lately. Some I don't even bother to read.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/16/22 5:15 p.m.

Back in 1999, I was selling a Honda Civic. I posted to a local mailing list that it was for sale, including the asking price and the color.

First question: How much? Followup question from the same person: What color?

By that time it was sold. So this is not new. But if the emails had been abusive, they would have been trashed immediately.

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
6/16/22 6:02 p.m.

Now I find that even if my first statement to a seller is "I'd like to come over and take a look, what's your address and phone number" - they'll reply back (after having only listed a few minutes ago) with - "sorry, sold, someone already sent me money."

People are basically buying stuff sight unseens because it's a good deal. Back in my day we had to communicate with the sellers, butter them up, and only then would they provide their address and phone number. 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
6/16/22 8:05 p.m.
pheller said:

Now I find that even if my first statement to a seller is "I'd like to come over and take a look, what's your address and phone number" - they'll reply back (after having only listed a few minutes ago) with - "sorry, sold, someone already sent me money."

People are basically buying stuff sight unseens because it's a good deal. Back in my day we had to communicate with the sellers, butter them up, and only then would they provide their address and phone number. 

I get that, I'm listing this cheap and I think it's a good deal for a buyer. 

But who thinks a strategy of "starting a conversation with cursing and insulting the seller" is going to produce a deal for them?

MiniDave
MiniDave New Reader
6/17/22 11:53 a.m.

Yeah, like you would ever want to meet up with that guy......I hope he was just having a bad day.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/17/22 12:03 p.m.
Indy - Guy said:

I'm selling some old lawn equipment on Craigslist (less than $150 value)

I get an email response from a guy named "Kenny".  This is literally the only thing in the message:

"where in the berkeley is it located dumb ass??"

Does Kenny ( and idiots like him) actually think he's going to get a response using this strategy?

(note of clarification, I always use the "pin" for location on the Craigslist map, so anyone who has eyes, already knows the approximate location)

.end Rant.

Does this kind of E36 M3 happen to anyone else?

reply:  Sorry, someone who asked me for my location politely already found my place and bought it.  Have a good day."

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
6/17/22 12:06 p.m.

Pretty sure my response to where it was located  would have included a part of his mother's anatomy 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/17/22 1:40 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Back in 1999, I was selling a Honda Civic. I posted to a local mailing list that it was for sale, including the asking price and the color.

First question: How much? Followup question from the same person: What color?

By that time it was sold. So this is not new. But if the emails had been abusive, they would have been trashed immediately.

You have more patience than I do.  I just delete responses that ask questions that are clearly in the for sale ad.  No amount of money is worth having to deal with stupid.

"Is it a manual trans?"  The ad says auto and the interior photos show two pedals an an auto shifter.

"Does the A/C work?"  Ad says the vehicle does not have air conditioning.

"What is your bottom dollar?" $50 higher than the advertised price.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
6/17/22 2:43 p.m.
MiniDave said:

Yeah, like you would ever want to meet up with that guy.......

Exactly my thought.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
6/17/22 2:45 p.m.

In reply to jharry3 & Peabody:

I didn't give him the satisfaction of a response, just deleted the message.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
6/17/22 2:47 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Yeah, I don't have time to waste on an idiot.  If someone could put together an actual response and show up, I'd gladly sell this stuff for less than half of what I have it listed for.  It may just be easier (and quicker) to haul it to the dump.  Sad.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PdUDeizqFm85Z1WaoAqoB70MQRIJ891J3p7YnL2enzKxjDfBJIkE26zBqze8Ht9v