1 2
DrBoost
DrBoost Reader
3/23/09 9:00 a.m.

Ok, I know I could do a google search but I don't know scam from scamola so I'm asking you folks. Where is the best place to get a domain name? Where can I check to make sure it's not already taken (besides punching up the domain in the address bar)?

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
3/23/09 9:02 a.m.

I've used godaddy quite a bit. Good prices, fairly reputable.

Words of advise: If you find a domain you think you may want, buy it, right then. Don't wait and think about it. Worst case you're out 8 bucks. There are domain snipers out there. If you wait, no matter how goofy the domain, it'll turn up taken.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
3/23/09 9:15 a.m.

I agree with Tim...

I used BlueHost.com quite a bit. Free Domain when you sign up for the $8 per month host for a year

Get your domain asap.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
3/23/09 9:17 a.m.

network solutions (expensive) has a free tool to show if domains are available.

http://www.networksolutions.com/

keep this in mind

.com is the MOST desirable.

.net is next

past this......it doesn't matter. you can't get .ORG or .EDU unless you are approved to be a non-profit or education.

DrBoost
DrBoost Reader
3/23/09 9:38 a.m.

Wow, there's tons to see on those two sites (bluehost and godaddy). Has anyone used both? Any preferences?? I'm doing tutorials now.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/23/09 9:40 a.m.

I've used godaddy. Good for domain names but their built-in website builder/blog thingy/etc suck pretty bad. If you have your own website software then I heartily recommend them.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
3/23/09 9:42 a.m.

either should be fine.

just keep an eye on how much data your going to use.

flat site? (no shopping cart, etc) the low package will most likely be fine

what are you going to put on it?

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
3/23/09 9:46 a.m.

or think of it this way...

use godaddy and support Danica

JThw8
JThw8 Dork
3/23/09 12:38 p.m.
Grtechguy wrote: past this......it doesn't matter. you can't get .ORG or .EDU unless you are approved to be a non-profit or education.

Dunno about that, I've registered a few .ORG sites and noone has ever asked for proof of my status. I can see it for the .EDU though.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
3/23/09 12:40 p.m.

.org is supposed to be for non-profit organizations....

SupraWes
SupraWes Dork
3/23/09 12:49 p.m.

I use godaddy for my domains and hosting.

aircooled
aircooled Dork
3/23/09 12:54 p.m.

Sometimes for fun I like to see what domains people have reserved (or made a site of) by just typing in somewhat common but strange names in the address bar. Best to avoid words like big and dong, but otherwise it can be interesting.

Guess what? There is a site using Blueavacado.com but no Redavacado, what's up with that?!

And there is someone sitting on Dink.com....

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/23/09 12:59 p.m.

InMotion Hosting was the last one I used since I needed to build a website for a client to take over, so they had to use the "built-in" web builder. Neat package and if you're handy with a graphics program you can re-do the templates quite nicely. I was very pleased with them, job went well. Site looks light-years better than a godaddy template.

JFX001
JFX001 HalfDork
3/23/09 1:25 p.m.

Do you have to "park" the name on something like godaddy? I'd like to buy a name,and develop it in the near future.

I just want the name for now.

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
3/23/09 1:27 p.m.

I use angryhosting.com for both hosting and domain registration. Hosting is as cheap as $1 a month, and the domains are about $10 a year.

aircooled
aircooled Dork
3/23/09 1:29 p.m.

Currently I don't think there is any law at all for holding but not using a site, you just have to pay the yearly fee. There has been at one cases of someone holding a name that clearly should be someone elses that was forced to give it up, but I suspect that will not be an issue.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
3/23/09 7:26 p.m.

GoDaddy's a good site.

But one warning.

If you purchase a domain name through GoDaddy, they put a 3 month hold on the name. During that time, you can't have someone else host.

So if you wanted to end up pursuing any other hosting options (like the one I was talking to you about on the phone), you can't get to the name you reserved for 3 months.

We have solved that by building a site under another name and re-directing, but it's a bit of a pain.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/23/09 7:51 p.m.

We used Yahoo. No problem.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
3/23/09 8:18 p.m.

Easy. Just did it.

They made us park the name for 90 days.

InigoMontoya
InigoMontoya New Reader
3/24/09 9:20 p.m.

I work for GoDaddy.com, have for the past 3.5 years, there is no policy that you have to park a domain with GoDaddy for any amount of time before hosting it elsewhere. The only part you have to 'park' is that you cannot transfer the domain name to another company for 60 days, but that is an ICANN rule, not a GoDaddy rule. But you can still change the nameservers to point to another hosting company. Heck, as part of the registration process I can put in different nameservers for you.

SVreX, if you have having a problem, send me an instant message, I will call you and fix the problem.

Oh, and anyone else who needs any help with their GoDaddy account can contact me as well.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/24/09 9:44 p.m.

You should also think about what you are going to use to build the site. For instance, MS FrontPage has to be hosted with someone who knows how to support it and has full FrontPage extensions in place. They also should have excellent customer support as anything Microsoft will crash often.

Registering the name however is a different process than hosting it. I have used GoDaddy, but the tech support guy kept mumbling something about how I killed his father and that I should prepare to die. Whatever.

I use www.whois.com to look up domain name owners.

SupraWes
SupraWes Dork
3/25/09 8:48 p.m.
JFX001 wrote: Do you have to "park" the name on something like godaddy? I'd like to buy a name,and develop it in the near future. I just want the name for now.

Yeah you can buy it and do nothing with it. You just have to pay the annual fee for keeping it. 3 of the 4 I own are actually that way, stuff I want but am not ready to use yet.

InigoMontoya
InigoMontoya New Reader
3/25/09 11:32 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Registering the name however is a different process than hosting it. I have used GoDaddy, but the tech support guy kept mumbling something about how I killed his father and that I should prepare to die. Whatever.

I guess I would qualify as busted there

Actually if you need to reach me my name is Sean.

Oh, and if you decide to use something like Frontpage, we support that too.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/6/13 5:48 a.m.
Grtechguy wrote: .org is supposed to be for non-profit organizations....

Why my domain that is for all my motorsports related stuff is a .org lol there is no domain police that I am aware of. I use Ipower it is cheaper than go daddy go daddy does not put forth a immage that i want to convey to my cliants. Ipower is very professional. I have set up many websites for people using them. Very reliable and there customer sports has been fantastic. There offices are also local to me as is there customer support.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/6/13 7:36 a.m.

Not sure what the point of answering a 4 year old thread is??

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hsXpidQzvbzAvFknfT4JyW9QmEK2bElOSS24YpAHhYuRf2RcAxD3TJ9yqQRZWG40