1 2
Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/6/19 8:54 a.m.

...dick.

So much in life distills down to this one simple rule.  Why is that so difficult for people?  Don't be a dick.

I almost wrote "Don't be dicks," but we don't even have to figure out collectively how to stop.  We just have to work on it for ourselves, individually.  The rest should follow.

But somehow, it never seems to happen.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/6/19 9:06 a.m.

This is so true, not that hard to follow and seemingly seldom done..

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/6/19 9:21 a.m.

A Karen?

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
8/6/19 9:24 a.m.

We nailed some guy up for suggesting how nice it would be if we all treated each other well.

At this point, I don't think we're going to get any better.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/6/19 9:25 a.m.

Its a motto i try to live by. The modern version of do unto others as....

So simple.  Not always EASY, but simple. Especially difficult to practice when others are being a dick unto you. I struggle there.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/6/19 9:34 a.m.

Phil Plait had a video floating around espousing this exact phrase. 

I was discussing "people skills" with a friend last week. We both agreed that we had the same level of people skills we had when we were in our 20s, but the main difference in our success was that we got wise enough to stop being sarcastic dicks as we got older. My observations seem to indicate that this phenomenon might be an inverse bell curve- teens start with high dickishness,  which generally declines as you get older until you reach  your 60s, at which point the sarcastic dickishness seems to start to increase.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
8/6/19 10:43 a.m.

Also: “Don’t berkeley up the party.”

We don’t throw as many as we used to. Maybe 1 or 2 a year. The list of people we invite shrinks every year.

Don’t get so sloppy drunk that you make people uncomfortable and someone has to babysit you.

BYOB, and bring twice what you expect to consume.

If you’re one of those people who says E36 M3 like “My blood sugar is crashing, I need food NOW,” pack a damned sandwich, or at least have the decency to order the freaking pizza yourself and PAY for it.

/rant

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
8/6/19 11:23 a.m.

Even more relevant today....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggG_4s50geo

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/6/19 11:28 a.m.

George Carlin paired down the 10 Commandments to 2:

Don't be a dick.

Try really, really hard not to kill anyone. 

Amen. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/8/19 2:11 p.m.

In light of a recent thread that went sideways almost immediately upon launch, I'm compelled to add this:

No particular flavor of human being has the majority of dicks.  Regardless of what people on any particular side of any particular fence want to think, too many dicks are found on both sides of all fences.

That's not being an apologist for any particular group of people.  That's being truthful.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/8/19 2:16 p.m.
Duke said:

In light of a recent thread that went sideways almost immediately upon launch, I'm compelled to add this:

No particular flavor of human being has the majority of dicks.  Regardless of what people on any particular side of any particular fence want to think, too many dicks are found on both sides of all fences.

Uh, pretty sure you're wrong there. The human flavor "Male" has the majority of dicks.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
8/8/19 2:23 p.m.
mtn said:
Duke said:

Uh, pretty sure you're wrong there. The human flavor "Male" has the majority of dicks.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/8/19 2:28 p.m.
mtn said:
Duke said:

Being a dick has no gender.

Having a dick does, no matter what way you chose to identify.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
8/8/19 2:49 p.m.

No, no, no!  Our dicks are right, their dicks are wrong!

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
8/8/19 3:33 p.m.

Read this book and try to live by its principles.

Unfortunately, this guy scored all the babes

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
8/8/19 7:10 p.m.

My wife says I’m a jag and my brothers a stroke.  A slight bit different than a dick 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/8/19 7:21 p.m.
mtn said:

The average human has half a dick.

Gary
Gary SuperDork
8/8/19 7:46 p.m.

Well, this thread really sucks. wink

But to be serious, I agree that Dale Carnegie was a genius. His book (How to Win Friends and Influence People) turned my attitude around in the eighties and launched my career towards success for the next thirty years. Brilliant book if you follow the principles. Every now and then I go back and re-read it. Not that I need to for work, because I'm retired. But it applies to everyday life as well. Everybody should abide by Dale's principles.

Problem is, when you run into somebody who isn't woke to Dale Carnegie's social etiquette principles. That happens here on the forum frequently. I've experienced this abnormal behavior here often. Wink, wink ... you know who you are, and I know you're on this thread. Then you just have to "smile and nod," and think that person must be having a bad day.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/8/19 9:12 p.m.

I've deleted more than a few replies. I've looked at them and thought, man, that's going to come off totally wrong. It's usually not my intent to push buttons. I'm here to dole out cheap laughs, even at my own expense. Especially at my own expense.

Maybe I'm maturing?

Gary
Gary SuperDork
8/8/19 9:16 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Yes, indeed. Perfect!

Gingerbeardman
Gingerbeardman Reader
8/8/19 11:00 p.m.
mtn said:
Duke said:

The inverse corollary is that the majority of bitches I've ever met are dudes.

gencollon
gencollon New Reader
8/8/19 11:43 p.m.

In reply to Gary :

Meh. Self censorship is overrated. 

If your posts aren't personal attacks, or totally instigative, let 'em be.

To the OP: if everyone you know is a dick.... well, you are the constant in the equation. Time to re-evaluate the company you keep, along with your own actions and words.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/9/19 6:33 a.m.
gencollon said:

To the OP: if everyone you know is a dick.... well, you are the constant in the equation. Time to re-evaluate the company you keep, along with your own actions and words.

I'm talking on a planet-sized, civilization-wide.

My options for choosing the company I keep are limited at that scale.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/9/19 8:00 a.m.
Duke said:
gencollon said:

I'm talking on a planet-sized, civilization-wide.

My options for choosing the company I keep are limited at that scale.

How are the options for who you associate with limited?

Are you literally being forced to be around people you don't want to associate with?

egnorant
egnorant SuperDork
8/9/19 9:29 a.m.

I work with people who justify being a dick because people offer some slight that offends them. I see them being a dick to the next person they deal with because they have been triggered. I try really hard to break the contagious dick syndrome and I often see people just unclench and have a better day because of it. Being charming and nice has 2 great results. One is that I help good people have a better day and second is that the people who are real dicks get irritated that I don't get bent up because of how they treat me.

I'm not an AHole...I'm a hemorrhoid...I irritate AHoles!

Bruce

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
U0ecXjy3u5p79CJQ5g4Hdka83EanhO00HE0dzKIdARIGXhN2jDnnjuRdw1lnIi4C