1 2
Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/6/22 9:55 a.m.

My current setup is a single 32" curved monitor. It works well, but I frequently need to look at multiple programs at the same time and I'm getting tired of clicking between them. Or worse, look at one program, and jot down notes on my desk pad so I don't have to go back and forth. 

I don't really have room for 2 - 32" monitors on my current desk. I'm considering a second smaller monitor above or to the side of my main monitor. I'm not sure how well that will work. 

Show me what you have. What you like and don't like about it and what you would do differently if you were starting from scratch. 

My current desk.

Untitled photo

wae
wae PowerDork
5/6/22 10:01 a.m.

Monitor arms.  I've got 4 monitors on my desk along with my laptop (3 for my personal computer and 1 plus the laptop for work).  I got some static arms from Amazon that hold two monitors each.  For my wife, who has a large curved monitor as her main plus one "regular" one on either side, I got three independent arms.  They take up a little more room in the back with all their articulation, but she can position each monitor individually.  She can even rotate them to portrait mode if she needs that.  The "Lawrence" approach that I use is more compact and less expensive, but there's a lot of work involved to make sure that the monitors are lined up with each other and then you're pretty much stuck with how they're arranged.

You get a ton of desk space back and the ability to put more monitors over your workspace that would otherwise be possible.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/6/22 10:08 a.m.

No pictures right now, but I have two 27 inch monitors and my laptop up as a third screen. I would go bigger if I could. But I don't have room. 

Things I like: 

• I have a Dell WD-15 dock. I plug in 1 USB-C cord into my laptop, and it does everything. Power, video, audio, etc. I have a USB phone charger, the keyboard dongle, both of the monitor cords plugged into the dock, and literally the only thing that ever gets plugged into my laptop is that USB cord, unless I'm traveling.
    • WD-15 has 2 HDMI and 1 VGA inputs, I believe it supports 3 monitors but I've never tried as I just don't have room)
  • I always have my chat/email up on one screen
  • I can have 4 different Excel sheets up at once. 
  • I can have a browser and another application up at once and switch between them while keeping both up

Things I don't like:

• Since I got my monitors at different estate sales, they're not the same, and I have one stacked on... I'm not sure, whatever todays equivalent of a phonebook is? to keep them even.
  • My desk is just too small. Make sure you have a big enough desk. I should really drop $200 on something used and get a really good setup.

One thing I did buy, but haven't used yet, is a dual monitor mount. That should clean up a bunch of clutter.

Of note here: I would like 2 of the same monitors, but it isn't a big deal for me. I do just spreadsheets and databases, the video quality is not all that important. The biggest thing for me is having a good dock.  

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
5/6/22 10:12 a.m.

Yes.  You must have monitor arms.  They clear up space on the desk for other junk to collect :)  You probably have room for dual 32s if you want, esp. if you use a decent set of arms.

I run triples for work (24").  The jump from doubles to triples isn't that big.  But holy crap the jump from 1 to 2 is huge.

Do you have a laptop?  If so, a good dock is critical.  If desktop, no worries there. 

I prefer to have matching monitors.  Mismatched sizes/resolutions drives me a bit crazy.

A lot of how you set it up depends on your workflow and the software you use.  Lots of documents?  You may benefit from a vertically oriented screen.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/6/22 10:32 a.m.

I run a similar setup as mtn.  Two HP 24W monitors purchased from Walmart some years ago (pre-pandemic) with a Dell laptop and WD15 docking station  (both work supplied).  VGA cable for one monitor and a HDMI cable for the other.  These sit on a small 48"W x 19"D desk with a riser and the monitors sitting on some workshop manuals to raise them higher so the bottom of the monitors is just above the top of the laptop screen.  I run the main program I'm using at the moment on the monitors and email and web browsers on the laptop.  I have a monitor stand to replace the manuals, but the base of the stand is too deep, so I'm planning to use clamps to attach the stand upright to the back of the desk riser.  However, this requires taking my entire setup apart, so I've been procrastinating... I need to do it, however, so I can also install a UPS system I bought months ago.  To my left is a TV table with a 24x18 drawing board on top for 11x17 drawings.  Eventually, I'll build a table that is slightly lower so one of the desk drawers isn't blocked.

My FiOS router is on the desk riser as well with a cable directly connected to the dock.  Some of the modeling files I open are multiple GB and we've learned over the years a cabled internet connection works better than WiFi if it can work. 

I'm on my 3rd WD15 dock since getting this laptop about 4 years ago.  My work IT keeps a stock of them on hand since they fail pretty often. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
5/6/22 10:47 a.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

I'm on my 3rd WD15 dock since getting this laptop about 4 years ago.  My work IT keeps a stock of them on hand since they fail pretty often. 

I think Dell just makes E36 M3ty docks.  Sadly it seems that many others do as well.

I got my laptop about 3 years ago.  I had a T18DC that failed and am now using a WD19TBS that hasn't failed, but is still pretty sucky.  The port replicator docks were much better from a performance and usability standpoint IMO.

Since this thread is expanding a bit into other desktop workstation related stuff, I highly recommend a cable management thing like this (but better maybe) to manage the inevitable rats nest that comes with having multiple monitors and lots of usb accessories.  I made this out of a piece of an old dog crate, but there are plenty of off the shelf amazon solutions as well.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/6/22 10:47 a.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

I am really, really happy with the dock - but I have only paid for 1. I was accidentally shipped two when I bought one and they told me to keep it; then I literally trash picked one.... And it works!

So I would be unhappy if I had to replace them somewhat regularly, but since mine has been working, I can't imagine anything better than plugging in a single cord. FWIW, it works right now with either my work supplied dell laptop, as well as our Microsoft Surface Go.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/6/22 10:49 a.m.

You can see my multi-monitor "office" setup in my last Wear Your Helmet to Work Day pic:

The work laptop in front of me is attached to the upper-center and left monitors, which are both on arms clamped to my weird improvised desk thingy. Both monitors picked up cheap from thrift stores. For the kind of work I do I'm using the laptop monitor for chat/VoIP/email apps and the upper-center monitor for the browser/CLI/text editor, and I leave background stuff that might be handy to check on like ping tests running on the left monitor, when I connect with someone by remote desktop I put that window on the left so it's not competing for space with the other stuff I'm always using.

wae
wae PowerDork
5/6/22 10:55 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

I got some plastic downspout and cut a section to fit under the desk.  Then, I cut a slit in it and stapled it to the bottom of the desk.  Cables go in and stay hidden in there.  It's even solid enough to hold adapters.

TR7 (Forum Supporter)
TR7 (Forum Supporter) Reader
5/6/22 11:02 a.m.

I ran multiple monitors for many years, just upgraded to an ultra-wide (32:9). Worth it. If you are space limited, maybe consider a smaller ultra wide like a 21:9 vs dual monitors that would be 32:9. 21:9 should still allow for 2 open documents side by side without much of an issue.

nlevine (Forum Supporter)
nlevine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/6/22 11:24 a.m.

My little corner of the dining room is a little messy, but I'm using a new 27" monitor, an ancient 24", plus the laptop screen for my setup, with the "custom" cardboard monitor stands. 

I definitely need a larger workspace. Planning to move to a bigger desk soon, once we move the kid's desk into his room...

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/6/22 11:25 a.m.

I have a pair of big 32" Samsung flatscreens. I am intrigued by the idea of dual 32" curved, but I could also see the curve bugging me.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
5/6/22 11:27 a.m.

I gave up and bough a 38 ultra wide. 2K resolution 160htz response rate and does 95% of everything I need. I have a older one with crapy HDR support. 

Not my rig but same moniter for scale. 

Alienware Aw3821dw - what a monster, love it! : r/ultrawidemasterrace

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
5/6/22 11:37 a.m.
TR7 (Forum Supporter) said:

I ran multiple monitors for many years, just upgraded to an ultra-wide (32:9). Worth it. If you are space limited, maybe consider a smaller ultra wide like a 21:9 vs dual monitors that would be 32:9. 21:9 should still allow for 2 open documents side by side without much of an issue.

Yeah, my personal computer (mostly gaming) has a 35" 21:9.  Its fantastic in the sense that its so much less complexity than multiple monitors, but still has most of the value.  I would prefer dual monitor setup for work, but if space was a premium, I would go for either in a heartbeat.  All of mine are currently running 1080p, but if doing a single 21:9 I would probably shoot for the UW equivalent of 1440 or 2160.

You definitely need to be more skilled at docking windows if its all a single screen - I know I work with some people that would struggle with that.

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/6/22 2:00 p.m.

This is my set-up at work.  I run off of 2 laptops so have to just swivel to the side.  My main laptop is hooked to the 2 32" Samsung curved monitors and the 27" on the left side for email.  The far left monitor is my stand alone for the second laptop which that keyboard and mouse work with.  

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
5/6/22 2:10 p.m.

This is my "Work From Home" battlestation:

I have a very small office in my small house, and it is also my game room, vinyl listening room, and music room. There's a lot packed in here! At the beginning of the pandemic, my company sent us all home, and I didn't have a great place to work in the house, so I transformed this room into what you see here. The main desk is a space saving 39" W design that fits well in here, and I added a laptop stand that we had kicking around on the left as a workstation for fixing/diagnosing laptops. The laptop has a 16" screen, and the two Viewsonic monitors are 24" WQHD models that I grabbed from the office before we shut it down. It's all connected through a Dell D3100 triple monitor dock. The monitor mount is a clamp-on model that has two VESA mounts and the arms are flexible. When not in use, I can fold the right-most monitor in to save some space. For a compact setup, I love it. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
5/6/22 3:03 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Cable management is something I have to work on as well.  Since I'm not really sure how, it's one of the reasons I've been procrastinating. 

Fortunately, I don't have to pay for the docking stations, but when it goes down I'm basically dead in the water and can't work.  My carpel tunnel starts screaming if I try to use a touch-pad for any length of time in lieu of a mouse.  And since the mouse needs a std USB port, I need the dock to work.

TR7 (Forum Supporter)
TR7 (Forum Supporter) Reader
5/6/22 3:11 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
TR7 (Forum Supporter) said:

Yeah, my personal computer (mostly gaming) has a 35" 21:9.  Its fantastic in the sense that its so much less complexity than multiple monitors, but still has most of the value.  I would prefer dual monitor setup for work, but if space was a premium, I would go for either in a heartbeat.  All of mine are currently running 1080p, but if doing a single 21:9 I would probably shoot for the UW equivalent of 1440 or 2160.

You definitely need to be more skilled at docking windows if its all a single screen - I know I work with some people that would struggle with that.

I moved from 2 27" when one of those died to a 49" ultrawide right at the beginning of the pandemic. Its been spectacular for my producitivity and general making my job easier. 

This takes care of all my docking needs

https://store.kde.org/p/1276605

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/6/22 3:21 p.m.

Here's my work station and I only have one 27" monitor, but I can't multi task anyway. I also have a bad back and can't sit at a desk for very long so I modified this Walmart computer roll away table and raised the couch so that it would fit under it. This works great for drafting as long as I don't fall asleep, the viewing position is just perfect for looking through tri-focal glasses, and my fat belly is the perfect mouse pad.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
5/6/22 4:02 p.m.

In reply to VolvoHeretic :

Grandmas Boy — Nicholaus Goossen

JAGwinn
JAGwinn New Reader
5/7/22 1:20 a.m.

Here is mine...AutoCAD...

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
5/7/22 1:34 a.m.

I have a 24" for general use, and a 22" oriented vertically for reading documents, forum threads, etc.  

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
5/7/22 7:04 p.m.

In reply to red_stapler :

It amuses me how many of the admins I've worked with over the years that generally work exclusively with Word documents, yet not one of them has oriented one or both monitors in a vertical position.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/7/22 7:11 p.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

The last time I saw a portrait-mode monitor was in the video for Billy Idol's "Rock the Cradle".

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
5/7/22 7:24 p.m.

I tried orienting a 2nd LCD like that for a big spreadsheet, but looking back and forth gave me a headache.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2y8ONrfLoQJCssSJ9ml6jpaZFNaaBl6NWk1RKx3Rnmp3KDszvYjAlH9cCS696WGh