1 2 3
yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/25/23 11:09 a.m.

In reply to NY Nick :

I didn't take it that way at all, no need to apologize or edit anything. I was just curious and figured it was something economic. We too, are looking to purchase more land between here and Georgia. Also looking in TN and WV. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/25/23 12:08 p.m.
yupididit said:

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

Are your taxes super low because your mortgage is way less than a new fully loaded pickup truck? lol

But, looking at real estate in Harrisburg PA shows normal homes aren't cheap and property taxes are pretty high, significantly higher than national average and higher than the state average. Property taxes on my home is significantly less here than an equal priced home in Harrisburg PA. It seems like your $1000/yr in taxes is an exception and nowhere near the norm.

Downtown Harrisburg is stoopid expensive for taxes.  I live about 5 miles from downtown in Lower Paxton Twp where the millage is much lower.  Mom and dad live in Carlisle which is significantly higher in the school tax rate, but their property tax isn't that bad.  They likely only pay around $3000 (most of which is school) on about 50 acres with a house that likely appraises in the low $400s

And yes, part of the property tax is based on the county's assessed value of land and buildings, but it's also due to the fact that millage rate is just lower where I live.  PA is kind of whacked.  The bigger cities are pricey.  Rural areas tend to be cheap.

At least we have great roads (said no one from PA ever)

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BGzqCCbxA7P0nBtaTDuckwOTXP8FwCS6How1qB3w2RUugaLIv1FANFH4787t66Qf