Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/24/21 12:56 p.m.

I had a dog named Boomer once.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/24/21 12:58 p.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

I feel like there has been many deletions and can't follow......

Yes, our fearless thread instigator turned out to be a big chicken and deleted their account.

But that doesn't mean we can't have a legit discussion anyhow :)

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
11/24/21 12:59 p.m.

Oldmanyellsatclouds.jpg

The generation coming after my generation, which was perfect when viewed from the bottom of a beer glass, is ruining all the things. 

Erich
Erich UberDork
11/24/21 1:20 p.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers" - Socrates ~400 BC

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
11/24/21 2:33 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Beer Baron said:

The problem with electric vehicles is that they need to make cooler noises.

I'm waiting for aftermarket modifications so that when I accelerate at WOT, I can choose whether the my car sounds like the Enterprise engaging warp drive or the Millenium Falcon making the jump to light speed.

An Ominous Hum when engaging launch control at a stoplight would also be desirable.

They actually make a pretty cool noise when you get on it. They don't broadcast it to the neighbors, but you get this tense high voltage whine when it's deploying many electrons at once. It's fun.

The Teslas do have an external speaker that you can use to play other noises. Wouldn't be that hard to hijack it and have it play your Ominous Hum or Enterprise noise based on what's coursing through the CAN data.

So clearly the impediments to making them fully awesome are trivial and surmountable.

(I know this is text. I hope it is clear just how tongue-in-cheek my critiques are. Although I am serious that I would totally hack a Tesla to make starship noises based on throttle position and speed.)

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
11/24/21 2:34 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Yes, our fearless thread instigator turned out to be a big chicken and deleted their account.

...and nothing of value was lost.

Keith Tanner
11/24/21 2:44 p.m.
Beer Baron said:
Keith Tanner said:
Beer Baron said:

The problem with electric vehicles is that they need to make cooler noises.

I'm waiting for aftermarket modifications so that when I accelerate at WOT, I can choose whether the my car sounds like the Enterprise engaging warp drive or the Millenium Falcon making the jump to light speed.

An Ominous Hum when engaging launch control at a stoplight would also be desirable.

They actually make a pretty cool noise when you get on it. They don't broadcast it to the neighbors, but you get this tense high voltage whine when it's deploying many electrons at once. It's fun.

The Teslas do have an external speaker that you can use to play other noises. Wouldn't be that hard to hijack it and have it play your Ominous Hum or Enterprise noise based on what's coursing through the CAN data.

So clearly the impediments to making them fully awesome are trivial and surmountable.

(I know this is text. I hope it is clear just how tongue-in-cheek my critiques are. Although I am serious that I would totally hack a Tesla to make starship noises based on throttle position and speed.)

I know I want to do that now :)

I have the sort of mind that looks for solutions to problems. Comes across as cheerleading sometimes. 

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP HalfDork
11/24/21 4:17 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

So, in theory, a Tesla could be programmed to sound like a Jetson's car under acceleration up to a specified speed? I'm not sure the noise would be enjoyable at speed over extended periods. 

Keith Tanner
11/24/21 4:20 p.m.
DjGreggieP said:

In reply to Keith Tanner :

So, in theory, a Tesla could be programmed to sound like a Jetson's car under acceleration up to a specified speed? I'm not sure the noise would be enjoyable at speed over extended periods. 

I don't see why not. Set it to reflect rate of acceleration and it would disappear at steady state speed. The data you need is on the CAN bus.

There's some sort of external sound effect capability from the factory but I haven't looked at it much. 

JStrobel80
JStrobel80 New Reader
11/24/21 4:26 p.m.

Keith, do you think in your lifetime your going to see the need to start an "electric" swap aftermarket parts catalog? Do you see it becoming a K24 swap type of project someday? I occasionally see people "electrifying" the most random cars. 

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
11/24/21 4:50 p.m.

In reply to DjGreggieP :

Some Renaults had a feature called R-Effect, it played custom engine sounds through the audio system in sync with the revs. Not including the F1 car was a mistake.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/24/21 4:52 p.m.

As long as we're turning this train wreck thread to better uses... dculberson, curious about the TDI/bad at math rationale?

I don't know many folks who have them, but those who do are seeing genuinely awesome mileage... Are you in a place where diesel sells at a premium, or is it a cost of ownership thing?

I enjoyed my TDI Sportwagen test drive (I generally like the way VWs drive) and we only didn't get one because they were pulled off the market the week we were headed to the dealer. Diesel sells for the same as pump Regular here, not even Premium.

Keith Tanner
11/24/21 7:32 p.m.
JStrobel80 said:

Keith, do you think in your lifetime your going to see the need to start an "electric" swap aftermarket parts catalog? Do you see it becoming a K24 swap type of project someday? I occasionally see people "electrifying" the most random cars. 

Even the OEs are seeing that coming - both Ford and GM are releasing electric "crate engines", and there are shops that will sell you what you need to use Tesla junkyard drivetrains. The SEMA show had a bunch of companies offering electric motors that look like small blocks for random electrification projects. So it's kinda already here. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
11/24/21 8:28 p.m.

In reply to Erich :

I love that quote. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/24/21 11:23 p.m.
Duke said:
yupididit said:

Boomer is a slur? I thought Boomers were the greatest American generation. So, how is it a slur?

No, Boomers are the children of the greatest American generation.

The greatest American generation fought and won WWII, then came home and got busy.  The result was the Baby Boom, aka Boomers.

Oh so the Boomers are the one's who berkeleyed it up for the rest of us? 

Cooter
Cooter PowerDork
11/24/21 11:24 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Everyone needs a scapegoat.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/25/21 9:44 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:

The media doesn't care about the guys building 20 year old Miatas in their driveways for autocross. The media doesn't care about the guys taking their 40 year old MGs out on a Sunday drive. The media doesn't care about the guys restoring old Mustangs and Camaros in their garage. They are all about who is spending the most money and who they can sell to. What's flashy and who's grabbing attention.

There is an entire world out there that is not being covered by the media.

Want to feel old? There are no 40 year old MGs in the US. And the Mazdaspeed Miata will be a 20 year old car in a couple of years :)

(takes deep breath)

The oldest Miatas are older now than the oldest Midgets and MGBs were, when they were new.

The oldest NBs are as old now as a rubber bumper MGB was when it was new.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/25/21 9:55 a.m.

Other things that were as old or slightly newer then as the Miata is now:

Falcons

Corvairs

Volkswagen "station wagons" (bus)

The '57 Chevy

johndej
johndej Dork
11/25/21 10:00 a.m.

They've been making the Prius for over 20 years. You'll be able to register one as an antique in 4 more.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
11/25/21 10:03 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

But that doesn't mean we can't have a legit discussion anyhow :)

Damn it, I just re lit the shiny happy person torch and was getting ready to pass it to him. 

Gary
Gary UltraDork
11/25/21 10:56 a.m.

Regarding the sound an EV makes, or could make, consider the McMurtry Speirling:

McMurtry Speirling at Goodwood Hill

I just heard about this recently. It debuted at Goodwood this past summer. Created purely for racing, it has a sucker fan to create high downforce which makes a sound sort of like a turbine or jet engine. Probably not practical for the street, but I think 20-30 of these on a race track could be fun. I like it. (And I'm a boomer smiley).

And there's no lack of enthusiasm among the creators!

The sound

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/25/21 12:56 p.m.
Beer Baron said:
Keith Tanner said:

...and nothing of value was lost.

Well I do feel like there was room for sarcasm and ridicule so maybe there was some value.

I just feel left out now

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
11/25/21 9:23 p.m.
johndej said:

They've been making the Prius for over 20 years. You'll be able to register one as an antique in 4 more.

"A hybrid is a normal car for fools" --Jeremy Clarkson

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/26/21 1:08 a.m.

Do Prius jokes really still have legs this far along? If anything it seems like they have displaced the Corolla as the compact car normal people buy that is cheap to run above all else. Oh, and taxis/rideshare.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/26/21 1:22 a.m.
pointofdeparture said:

Do Prius jokes really still have legs this far along? If anything it seems like they have displaced the Corolla as the compact car normal people buy that is cheap to run above all else. Oh, and taxis/rideshare.

No, they jumped the shark at least 5 years ago, at which point the people that owned them because it was the best overall vehicle for them outnumbered them virtue signaler owners probably 100-1. 

Unless you're talking about jokes about them being the taxicab of choice or looking like a bloated mosquito - Those will never get old. 

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1MkwHwOkFS8FbipFkBaV1xjoCm6z1kenpq3GsXItM0pELFXlrC4OT95Y4r8B0Pyb