1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/6/20 9:55 a.m.

A friend gave me an experienced Galileo reflector telescope, minus any eyepieces, which he could not find.  I aim to pick up a couple and give this thing a look.  Model is FS125DX, F1000 x 120

I may be crazy, but I seem to recall a thread not too long ago where this very topic was discussed.  In keeping with my perfect record of never being able to find anything on this site, no amount of googling has turned up anything relevant.

So, what are some decent, cheap eyepieces?  I'm figuring something within the range of 6 to 10mm is probably where I'd start.  I'd probably consider a zoom if the quality was decent and the price was good.

TIA!

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
7/6/20 11:04 a.m.

For learning I'd just get whatever is cheap. They come n a few sizes though so check what'll fit. Most likely 1.25" IIRC. I'd be looking in the 10mm+ section, and get a Barlow lens for more magnification. Much smaller than 10mm just gets to be irritating and I have good eyes. Mine are all cheapies and they work great for my 6" hobby scope. Shouldn't need to spend more than $20-25 unless you get super serious. 

And you couldn't pick a better time to get into the hobby. Very shortly we will have fantastic views of Saturn and Jupiter. Fun stuff. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/6/20 12:02 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater :

Thank you for the info, sir!  I'm leaning toward a cheapo set on ebay that has 4, 10, and 23mm.  Just 26 bucks total.  He's sold a bunch, and people seem to like them.  Yes, 1.25"

I've got the Sears refractor I had as a kid, but it's pretty weak.  Hoping this collects a bit more light.  Jupiter and Saturn will be our goal!

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
7/6/20 12:50 p.m.

The smaller the eyepiece the more magnification, but 4mm is tiny! My smallest is 6.4 and I won't go smaller, especially with a 2x Barlow. I believe the focal length is 650mm on mine and with the 9mm and Barlow I can clearly see the stripes on Jupiter, 4 of its moons. With the 6.4 and Barlow I can distinguish saturns inner and outer rings. All the detail I want on the moon. Mars just looks like a fuzzy red ball no matter what magnification, and Venus has pretty cool phases just like the moon. It's a lot of fun especially if you don't live in super urban areas or if a dark mountain is close by. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/6/20 7:49 p.m.

Ended up spending just a tad more and getting a 4-pc. set of Celestron eyepieces.  Smallest is a 6mm.  I'm sure they're still made of pure chinesium, but at least it's brand-name chinesium.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/13/20 1:49 p.m.

Update:

Celestron eyepieces arrived.  Telescope pointed at Jupiter and Saturn ( butt not Uranus).  Pretty good image.   Nice and bright, even with the 9mm.  Saturn is cool.  Need to find some nebulae or something else interesting to look at.

adam525i (Forum Supporter)
adam525i (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/13/20 2:34 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Not sure if you are far enough north to see the comet currently but it might be worth a try.

https://earthsky.org/space/how-to-see-comet-c2020-f3-neowise

I need to get a cheap telescope or something and try to get a look while I can.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xFlVT4milaP0xoeHJm7esapn4DWffNVNocIew1sbsyyieRBZziJXtg2WshEsqPYb