1 2 3
P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/23/22 11:57 a.m.

Nose too short. My money is still on the Accent.

drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
7/23/22 12:51 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Car has a very short rear decklid.  And I'm guessing it's well-loaded, as the rear end seems to be squatting in that grainy pic, or the rear wheel arch is lower than the front, or something?

The rear squat, may be because of worn rear springs coupled with making a quick getaway after the fact.. Which may indicate an older rather than newer car. 

P3PPY
10/19/22 7:23 a.m.

They say it's this 99-03 Mazda Protege

To me the A pillar looks unlike the original photo. I cannot explain

https://www.canadapolicereport.ca/2022/08/16/blackfalds-rcmp-release-suspect-vehicle-photos-from-fatal-hit-run-that-claimed-45-year-old-cyclist/

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/19/22 8:33 a.m.

In reply to P3PPY :

Woah I called it!

modlite9
modlite9 New Reader
10/19/22 10:12 a.m.

I was trying to give an upvote and accidentally replied...and can't seem to delete it.

P3PPY
10/19/22 10:21 a.m.
Javelin said:

In reply to P3PPY :

Woah I called it!

Way to go, Detective Javelin

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
10/20/22 1:31 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

wouldn't it be John welsh who called it?

John Welsh said:

In the photo given the windshield looks distorted giving the image a uniquely upright windshield.  I don't think we have seen a windshield that upright since the 1957 Chevy.  

The diving board rear bumper...maybe Protege of this era:

fastoldfart
fastoldfart Reader
10/20/22 2:39 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Nailed it!!!

1999-2003 Mazda Protégé

https://www.canadapolicereport.ca/2022/08/16/blackfalds-rcmp-release-suspect-vehicle-photos-from-fatal-hit-run-that-claimed-45-year-old-cyclist/

Haven't seen that they had made an ID or arrest yet.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/20/22 10:29 p.m.
lnlogauge said:

In reply to Javelin :

wouldn't it be John welsh who called it?

John Welsh said:

In the photo given the windshield looks distorted giving the image a uniquely upright windshield.  I don't think we have seen a windshield that upright since the 1957 Chevy.  

The diving board rear bumper...maybe Protege of this era:

Indeed. The good sir was the first. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/21/22 4:57 a.m.

Is anyone else bothered that in a day more than one of us could identify it as a Protégé but the police take a month to announce a "be on the lookout " for a Protégé?  Sure, the police got it down to a specific (and photographed) example, but. 

From there, how many 20-ish year old green Protégé are still registered to be on the road in the whole providence? My guess is not many. Seems easy to have local municipalities do a residence drive by looking for distinguishing evidence such as tint, wheels or body damage to eliminate candidates.  

P3PPY
10/21/22 7:15 a.m.

True. I've been wondering the same thing. Some good old fashioned paperwork can solve this for them now that they know what it is. 
Before they got the second set of pics, I am not surprised it took so long though. Due to the picture quality I wouldn't have believed that the car in the first pic and the follow-ons were the same except for the aftermarket wheels (higher stance) and rear lights. 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
10/21/22 7:30 a.m.
John Welsh said:

Is anyone else bothered that in a day more than one of us could identify it as a Protégé but the police take a month to announce a "be on the lookout " for a Protégé?  

Years ago the cops in this part of the province were looking for a suspect who drove a Camaro. It was all over the media and a lot of young guys driving Camaros were hauled in and their cars searched. This went on for months. 
They eventually found the  guy they were looking for and he drove a 240SX. 
At least these guys got it right. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
10/21/22 7:48 a.m.

TIL that a single blurry picture of a car can look like almost ANY make and model

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bVrRTCbkkzERS9L0tWgPbeTEo0lQvGf8yNxiPah1tbCFvD68q4Ha6014nPhSfngE