1 2 3
Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
8/18/10 2:16 p.m.
nervousdog wrote:
Appleseed wrote:
Twin_Cam wrote: Black. End of story. It makes any car look awesome. Though it is really the worst color in every other way imaginable.
Correct. Name one car, if you can, that doesn't look good in black. You can't.
What about the Chevrolet HHR?

Ugly? Yes. But still better in black.

failboat
failboat New Reader
8/18/10 5:52 p.m.

Phoenix gold metallic from the e46 m3. Rarely photographs well but looks great in person. Or borderline ugly. But that's why its awesome.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger HalfDork
8/18/10 6:21 p.m.

As much as I hated them in the 80's those basic 70's era colors have really grown on me. The tans and greens and oranges really work for me.

EricM
EricM Dork
8/20/10 10:31 a.m.

Brown, I like brown cars. Burnt Orange is a close second.

I got my love of brown cars from this:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/408230-show-us-your-browns.html

paanta
paanta New Reader
8/20/10 1:56 p.m.

My E34 535i is Kashmir Beige. I'm pretty sure I could drive by a state trooper at a buck twenty and he'd get confused and pull over the guy in the next lane. It's absolutely invisible, even with dark window tint.

White would almost always be my first choice for its combination of easy care, blemish hiding, and mild invisibility. I'd rather people not remember my car. "I'm calling to complain about a speeder. It was white. I don't know what type of car it was. Japanese maybe."

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
8/20/10 1:59 p.m.

Zonker yellow.

MedicineMan
MedicineMan Reader
8/20/10 2:29 p.m.

I used to love red, but as I get a little older I find that I dont like the attention that it draws. Right now we have two nissan gray's (knight armour xterra and storm gray frontier) and black on the CJ...it looks sharp with the orange renegade decals...but its going to be a pain to repaint and make it look like anything when the time comes

motomoron
motomoron Reader
8/20/10 9:47 p.m.
aeronca65t wrote: We have four white cars. Plus BRG race car and Speedwell Blue race car.

No E36 M3? I AGONIZED over what color to paint my MKII Sprite for 2 years of hellish bodywork - and settled on Speedwell blue. I get so many comments, and at British car shows it's always the only one that color. Cool!

My history:

• Sandy/gold '73 Volvo 164
  • Silver '80 Civic DX
  • White '84 Civic S
  • Silver '84 Rabbit GTI
  • Red '88 Civic Si
  • Speedwell blue '62 A-H Sprite
  • White '90 Civic Si
  • White '02 Civic Si
  • White '99 Dakota Sport
  • Silver '98 M3
  • Lunar Mist (silver-ish) '01 Tacoma
  • Red '90 Miata

The motorbikes have been all over the map. Lately the KTMs are all orange and black though. That's easy.

-

3Door4G
3Door4G Reader
8/21/10 1:39 p.m.

Looove brown cars, if they're done well I think it looks fantastic. Hotlinked for your viewing pleasure.

And like someone said earlier, it's hard not to like Championsip White

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
5/27/22 8:11 a.m.

12 yo zombie

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/27/22 8:43 a.m.
Appleseed said:
Twin_Cam wrote: Black. End of story. It makes any car look awesome. Though it is really the worst color in every other way imaginable.

Correct. Name one car, if you can, that doesn't look good in black. You can't.

I can:  ALL OF THEM.

Black cars hide all the detail, shadow lines, openings, everything.  They're shapeless blobs.

And worst is when they have black wheels and a black interior.

[edit]  And yes, I knew when I posted this that it was a zombie thread.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/27/22 8:46 a.m.

Well, this was Simpsons-level a prophetic post.

ditchdigger said:

As much as I hated them in the 80's those basic 70's era colors have really grown on me. The tans and greens and oranges really work for me.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 PowerDork
5/27/22 11:32 a.m.

My favorite color on cars is brown followed closely by white. I'm odd.

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/27/22 6:11 p.m.

Blue!

No, Yellow!

Aieeeeee!!!  As I am cast into the Gorge of Eternal Peril.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
12/29/23 9:34 p.m.

Black cars are pretty meh.  The statement that the lines get lost is definitely true.  The C8 Corvette in white looks absolutely stunning.  In black, it could be anything.

To me the color has to fit the car.   My wife has a red/red fender/black top Wrangler Rubicon.  That thing is bussin'.   My viper?  Yellow of course.  Don't lose it in a parking lot thats for sure.   For an SUV or truck, give me white or dark gray.  An all color-matched white truck like those early 00s F250s is a real slick lookin unit.  The other nice part is a late model white or gray truck is practically invisible, nice for blending in when you need to.  

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
12/30/23 7:14 a.m.

Not necessarily favorite, but I have a theory that White accentuates the inherent nature of a vehicle.

White sportscar... looks sharp, fast, and ready for business.

White luxury car... looks clean and classy.

White pickup or van... looks like you're going to be doing work.

White econobox... looks like a rental or other fleet vehicle.

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/30/23 8:55 a.m.

Seriously old thread so I will end it.

dxman92
dxman92 SuperDork
12/31/23 4:03 p.m.

Gray or silver for me.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
12/31/23 4:05 p.m.

Porsche signal orange