1 2 3 ... 11
Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/31/21 9:21 p.m.

With most racing seasons starting this month will be the race cars of Speedweeks.  The obvious choices would be the NASCAR cars running at Daytona but to broaden the appeal we'll include the other cars of Florida's start to the race seasons. Sports cars that would be found at the Rolex 24, and the northern short ttack racers that flee the cold every year to run the asphalt oval at New Symrna and the Volusha county dirt track.  For the winner I have a Polar Lights Petty Ford.

For my entry I'm building Greg Sachs' 86 Pontiac and if somehow time allows I will try the Busch series Lumina I worked on in '95.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
1/31/21 10:42 p.m.

I need to finish a few on going builds, Novembers Corvette, this months Lancia, and a Ferrari I started in 1990 that I did a lot on last month. It could have raced at the 3 hour "Daytona Continental", but it is fantasy. Thus I am "non-comp" this month. I will post a few of the Ferrari though.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
1/31/21 11:51 p.m.

Heck yeah!

I have a Dale Earnhardt Squarebird kit that I'm going to build. This car would've raced in the 1982 Daytona 500, unfortunately scoring a DNF, but Dale did grab a win later that year at Darlington, his first of three in a Ford.

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
2/1/21 7:05 a.m.

I'm going to build Bill Elliott's 1985 Thunderbird. 
It was next in my pile to do... so perfect timing! 

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
2/1/21 7:26 a.m.

I'll be a week behind by the time it gets here, but I went with a short track theme. For some reason this kit spoke to me:

It still falls within my Ford parameter as it's allegedly a big block Ford engine and the basic outline of a Pinto body. Trying to come up with a non-3 tone paint scheme in my head that will work with the gold decals.

Modern NASCAR stuff just leaves me cold. I'd thought of doing a '65 Fairlane modified stocker but it's based on  a AMT 'annual' kit from the 60s so the detail is sparse. I also can't get past the hopelessly gigantic tires and don't have anything in my parts box to fix it. I think the faux Pinto thing above offers a fun change from the normal stock road car builds I typically do.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
2/1/21 9:31 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

Those modifieds are fun kits. A nice deep metallic red with gold numbers would have been a popular period correct scheme.  

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/1/21 9:49 a.m.

I'm so excited for this!

C5R, NASTRUCK, GT40? I have so many choices!

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
2/1/21 10:36 a.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to ddavidv :

Those modifieds are fun kits. A nice deep metallic red with gold numbers would have been a popular period correct scheme.  

I'd thought of that. I have a bit of an aversion to painting stuff red. It seems like it's the go-to color for cars and I've been cursed with my last two trucks being red. My favorite color is blue; I think a darker metallic blue could also work. I also remembered I have some unused decals from some of the other kits I've recently build that I could possibly use instead, though I do kind of dig the gold numbers that come with this one.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
2/1/21 10:41 a.m.

Blue is good, I like a dark green with gold too. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
2/1/21 10:53 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

The gigantic tires are pretty accurate.  The color and number remind me of John Blewett's car from when I was a kid but he ran a Gremlin before they all went to "Cavaliers". 

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
2/1/21 12:54 p.m.

I think metallic blue or purple would look really good on that Pinto. I really want to get that kit at some point.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
2/1/21 3:01 p.m.

My first model kit when I was a kid was a AMT Modified Stocker Galaxie. While I know they did run tires this big for awhile I just think they look absurd on a model.

AMT butchered the molds of the annuals to make these, which also kind of irritates a guy who wants a '69 Falcon kit but can't fix the ruined body shell these kits have.

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
2/1/21 3:10 p.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

Mikes decals has tires for all era of NASCAR and dirt racers! 

I started early... this weekend started on the body mods for my Tbird. I'll start with filling in the door lines. I'll also have to remove the lower molding, fill in the mirror area, thin the a pillars, and blend the front flares a little better. I'd also like to fix the too big front wheel well. A lot of work! I have headlights and a grill coming from the Prostock Tbird kits, as they're much more realistic than the flat ones that come in the NASCAR kits. 

The kit I have is molded in red... but I'm cheating and using a left over white body I had. 

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
2/1/21 6:19 p.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

Yep, the Torino I built last year had those big tires. I substituted Nascar slicks and cut down the wheel backs to use with the kit wheels.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/1/21 6:57 p.m.

My entry:

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
2/1/21 7:05 p.m.

I've wanted to get one of those early Salvino's kits!

Wally (Forum Supporter)
2/1/21 7:13 p.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

The tires on the modified stocker kits like the Galaxy are comically large. The Pinto tires should be more realistically sized. 

2/1/21 10:01 p.m.

Okay, here's the choices:

Revell Ford GT-40 #2

Accurate Miniatures 65 Sebring winner 63 Corvette Grand Sport

AMT 75 Matador NASCAR

Model King Gremlin Modified

Monogram Owens Corning Corvette

Revell C7R

Revell Ford GT 2017 LM

Claff
Claff Reader
2/1/21 11:03 p.m.

OK I am all in for Speedweeks, specifically NASCAR. In my stash of unbuilt kits I found four unbuilt NASCAR cars:

The three Monte Carlos are untouched; the truck was just barely started with a litte paint on random parts but nothing's been glued together yet. I think I'm going to build one of the Montes. I got a pleasant surprise in the bottom of the Kellogg's car box, at some point I treated myself to a $8.99 sheet of better NASCAR identity and detail decals.

That's the good news. The bad news is that the kit at some point got wet, and adhered to the above packaging is the original decal sheet for Texas Terry's effort, and I have my doubts whether it's salvageable. On the other hand, I wasn't planning on using OEM decals regardless.

As I was investigating decal kits, I found out that some decals require one of two bodies used on the Chevy kits. Early Montes had rounded bottoms of their doors, while the later kits were slab-sided. I forget when NASCAR made that change. I do remember when the change started happening with Busch North teams, and it took a long time before I didn't detest the slab-sided doors. Back to the subject at hand, I caught a break since I have two slab-sided bodies and one rounded doors, so I'm covered regardless of what decals I get.

I looked at a lot of '95-99 NASCAR results to see if any paint scheme from the area caught my eye, and one did. I liked the look of the Steve Park Pennzoil #1, plus I was a big fan of Steve even when he was in the Modifieds, and I even got to work with him in my last couple years in Busch North or whatever they called it in '07-08. A nice plus is that the Pennzoil car wouldn't require a ton of masking and spraying multiple colors, which appealed to my meager skills in that department.

There's a wrinkle to the Pennzoil car, though. The only decal sheet I can find for that is for the '00-02 Monte Carlo. It's essentially the same paint scheme that Park drove in '98-99. The bodies for the '00 don't seem to be *that* different than the '99s, at least not in any place where it affects the decals. I have a hunch that I can make the '00 decals work on a '99 body, even if it means clipping the Pennzoil logo out of the hood decal and just painting the hood under it.

While I debate that, I have some other options. I found a couple other decal kits for cars that I found attractive, and are meant for '99 bodies, though they're Busch Series cars and not Winston Cup cars. Busch Series cars were smaller (105" wheelbase vs 110" for Cup cars), but to my knowledge they didn't make Busch Series model kits, so I'm kinda assuming these Busch decal kits are designed to go on Cup bodies and nobody will be the wiser. As a Modified fan, I was also a big fan of Mike McLaughlin (#34), and I like that those decals don't require any secondary paint on the body. The Joe Nemechek Bellsouth car is a wild card: I can probably pull off that two-tone and wind up with a pretty wowee finished product, but I have no real fandom of Nemechek or Bellsouth.

The wife tried to make it easy on me to build the Steve Park car, saying "just get the right model for the decals" but that's not Parsimonious. I'll probably wind up building the McLaughlin car for this month and weigh my options for the other kits down the road. I know I'm not really up for the masking/paintwork needed to pull off the original Kelloggs or Dupont cars.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
2/2/21 12:52 a.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

Okay, here's the choices:

Revell Ford GT-40 #2

Accurate Miniatures 65 Sebring winner 63 Corvette Grand Sport

AMT 75 Matador NASCAR

Model King Gremlin Modified

Monogram Owens Corning Corvette

Revell C7R

Revell Ford GT 2017 LM

The Revell GT40 is the same as Fujimi's version, right? Get this resin upgrade kit and these decals and make it a Mercury GT40. Yes, that was a real thing, briefly.

https://themodelcarchannel.store/collections/1-24-1-25-race-cars/products/1967-daytona-ford-mercury-gt-40-resin-conversion-kit-for-fujimi-gt40-mk-ii-kits

https://www.indycals.net/decals/lemans/67mercury-gt40-3-daytona.html
https://www.indycals.net/decals/lemans/67mercury-gt40-4-daytona.html

2/2/21 11:05 a.m.

I think you all should save the sportscars for March's theme: Sebring.  Haha. No seriously. Isn't Sebring historically in March?

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
2/2/21 11:38 a.m.
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) said:

I think you all should save the sportscars for March's theme: Sebring.  Haha. No seriously. Isn't Sebring historically in March?

If I could do anything for a Sebring build, I'd get the resin conversion kit to build the GT40 roadster that won Sebring and allegedly was later cut up and buried to avoid import fees.

BenB (Forum Supporter)
BenB (Forum Supporter) Reader
2/2/21 12:17 p.m.

I'm going to make a valiant attempt to work on a model this month. The only Daytona car I have in my stash is Fujimi's Ferrari 330 P4 with Indycals decals for one of the 1967 Daytona cars. 

2/2/21 12:33 p.m.
slowbird said:
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) said:

If I could do anything for a Sebring build, I'd get the resin conversion kit to build the GT40 roadster that won Sebring and allegedly was later cut up and buried to avoid import fees.

Good point! Okay, Corvette Grand Sport in March. 

2/2/21 1:30 p.m.
ddavidv said:

I'll be a week behind by the time it gets here, but I went with a short track theme. For some reason this kit spoke to me:

It still falls within my Ford parameter as it's allegedly a big block Ford engine and the basic outline of a Pinto body. Trying to come up with a non-3 tone paint scheme in my head that will work with the gold decals.

Modern NASCAR stuff just leaves me cold. I'd thought of doing a '65 Fairlane modified stocker but it's based on  a AMT 'annual' kit from the 60s so the detail is sparse. I also can't get past the hopelessly gigantic tires and don't have anything in my parts box to fix it. I think the faux Pinto thing above offers a fun change from the normal stock road car builds I typically do.

Here's mine!

1 2 3 ... 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7mzPm4hzwDRKClVpwO9Ir8vpkKD2YAlKZ895Rkhy2AbjDoVTJBdd0MdZwSbOeXa5