1 2 3
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/29/22 8:43 a.m.

New England is getting one. We should get more than 2 feet of snow in the metro Boston area when this is all over.  It has been about 7 years since we got a good old Nor'easter

Snowblower and the generator are on stand by. I avoided the usual panic at the store and instead will just dig a little deeper in to the freezer if needed.  

And in typical New England fashion we will be seeing temps below zero today and by Thursday we will be in the 50s.

Be safe everyone  

Gary
Gary UltraDork
1/29/22 9:14 a.m.

Front yard/back yard as of 9:00 am. We're in RI.  So far we've had around 4" but with the wind gusts there's a lot of bare ground and drifting. The pics don't show the snow coming down, but it's blowing sideways out of the northeast. Weather reports claim 18" here before it's over.

(We just returned from a week in South Florida Thursday night so this is a rude awakening frown).

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/29/22 9:32 a.m.

It's snowing in SC as well. We won't get any accumulation to speak of and it will probably be gone by noon. 

dean1484
1/29/22 9:47 a.m.

The wind seems to be much worse at the coast. I am about 20 miles wrst of Boston and there has been constant snow and the occasional 20-30 mph hour gusts with a constant 10-15 mph. The bulk of the storm is not here yet.  Towns south of Boston on down to the  Cap are already at more than 6 inches. They are saying expect 2-4 inches per hour for the next 8 hours or so. Then it will start to taper off and be all gone by early tomorrow morning.  

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/29/22 9:54 a.m.

This past week Chicago celebrated the anniversary of its worst snow ever from 1967.  23"

Unfortunately as a 5 year old chap I was living in St. Louis and missed it all.  Everyone has been discussing it for 55 years now.  

dean1484
1/29/22 9:58 a.m.

This is a good one but not unusual. I mean there was the blizzard of 78 that had snow drifts up to the top of the 2nd floor. We were jumping off the roof of our house as kids in to the snow around the house.  Dad was less than pleased. laugh

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/29/22 10:08 a.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

This past week Chicago celebrated the anniversary of its worst snow ever from 1967.  23"

Unfortunately as a 5 year old chap I was living in St. Louis and missed it all.  Everyone has been discussing it for 55 years now.  

Mom still talks about me being born in the gnarly 3 months of snow in 79.

Gary
Gary UltraDork
1/29/22 10:22 a.m.

One hour later. Compare this to the same two scenes I posted earlier. The storm has intensified: much heavier snow and stronger wind. Hoping we don't lose power.

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
1/29/22 10:26 a.m.

Have a nice ~4" here and the kiddos are vibrating with excitement to get out for some sled riding.  Stay safe and warm out there folks!

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
1/29/22 10:46 a.m.

We’re 20 or so miles north of where I think Gary is, there wasn’t much on the ground at 7:00, by 10:30 we had this:

It’s windy and drifting so tough to say exactly how much we’ve got so far but definitely a solid change from 7:00.   13 F and snowing hard which is unusual for our area, it usually warms up to snow.   The good news is it’s light powdery stuff so cleanup will be pretty easy. 

thedoc
thedoc GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/29/22 10:57 a.m.

So we took the mustang out for some mild hooning this morning, but Maine hasn't been hit that hard, yet.  The wind is pretty intense.

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/29/22 11:39 a.m.

I really don't mind the snow.  

But here in Arnold Maryland it rained first, froze and turned into snow later as the temperature dropped.

yuck.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/29/22 11:43 a.m.

We're expecting about a foot.  We were told we could dress casually.  They may be rethinking that. 

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/29/22 11:58 a.m.

Meanwhile, here in New Mexico the first Miata Winter Series event is tomorrow.  I don't miss Upstate NY winters at all.  

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/29/22 12:22 p.m.

I don't understand how anyone could like this miserably cold weather. I grew up in Virginia with moderate winters. Then i moved to California then Texas. I would never ever purposely live in a state with real winters. 

Gary
Gary UltraDork
1/29/22 12:30 p.m.

Noon. We're now experiencing 1"-3" snow per hour, up to 55-mph wind gusts, temperature 19 degrees F, (wind chill below zero), visibility a couple hundred yards. Weather Service has declared this an official blizzard.

(We live here because for ten months out of the year it's nice. We can tolerate the extreme winter weather like this to appreciate the rest of the year here. No earthquakes, no tornadoes, no drought, rarely a hurricane. No rattlesnakes, no tarantulas, no scorpions, no big flying bugs. And we can travel South during winter for vacation if we choose to. Whenever Annie and I vacation in FL or SoCal we say "great place to visit but wouldn't want to live there." Overall, New England is a pretty good place to live. And I think most of those who couldn't stand the winters here have moved elsewhere. laugh)

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/29/22 12:37 p.m.

I miss snow.  Not enough to live where it does it, but I enjoy visiting friends when its about to come down.  

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/29/22 12:45 p.m.
yupididit said:

I don't understand how anyone could like this miserably cold weather. I grew up in Virginia with moderate winters. Then i moved to California then Texas. I would never ever purposely live in a state with real winters. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/29/22 12:47 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

And, a little harder to photograph is the lack of insects and kudzu and mold and fungus that the winter brings. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/29/22 12:50 p.m.
yupididit said:

My dumbass moved back to it. I liked it a lot better in Cali where if I wanted to see snow, I'd head three hours to Tahoe. Second biggest regret of my life, right after not moving away from it sooner. 

We were supposed to get a horrible storm last week here, calls for 2-3 feet. I had 5 inches at my house. 20 minutes up the road to my old house and they had about a foot. We've been spending entirely too much time with the wind chill below zero though. 

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
1/29/22 12:52 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

Solid headgear choice.

Gary
Gary UltraDork
1/29/22 1:05 p.m.

This is my current point of view of the outdoors from where I'm sitting in our sunroom. Heat in here is set at a toasty 78 degrees. I'm stayin' right here. I have magazines and a good book to read, and later we'll watch Clint Eastwood's movie Cry Macho, and I'll drink some vino this evening. I won't snowblow the driveway until tomorrow. Maybe the wind will blow it off the driveway by then smiley.

GhiaMonster
GhiaMonster Reader
1/29/22 1:14 p.m.

Bummed over here in upstate NY. On the snowfall map yesterday there were two counties not predicted to get any, mine and the one next door. Hoping to have some friends with kids over for hooning and snow sports in the yard tomorrow anyway.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/29/22 1:36 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Our coworkers from Detroit and us were in Orlando for a trade show and we stayed across the street from the convention center.  Red Roof Inn.  We decided we wanted our own cheap room compared to sharing a room with a coworker (that sucked) at a higher priced place.  

They gave an extra room to a customer and my coworkers complained there was mold in the bathroom shower.  We got into an argument.   

Didn't ever hotel in Orlando have a little mold somewhere?  

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/29/22 4:49 p.m.

Well, it stopped snowing by 9. Everything on the ground and cars was melted by noon. By 2 I was working outside in a t-shirt. And the low tonight is 23. Pretty typical for Charleston, SC. 

I wouldn't have minded getting 5-6 inches and having it stick around for a day or two. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SOX6BheIVYcFbYuQGzAeo8AdhMrogmW2Lu0zZh11NUBCHXyramlD4sqpAe2HqO2W