1 2 3
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/29/22 5:00 p.m.

Pond hockey. I'm not living in a state were I have to pay for ice. In a barn.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/29/22 5:45 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Guy I worked with in Minneapolis. 

"Boot Hockey" usually younger adults also involving adult beverages.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
1/29/22 6:11 p.m.

That looks like a "meh" storm.  Typical weather people calling for snow meggadon, OMG!  Then there's less than a foot. 

Last March we got a real dump, 2.5 feet.  Although it'd been 15 years since we'd had a storm of that amount...

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/29/22 6:29 p.m.
yupididit said:

I don't understand how anyone could like this miserably cold weather. I grew up in Virginia with moderate winters. Then i moved to California then Texas. I would never ever purposely live in a state with real winters. 

It's a lot easier to dress for 0F than it is for 110F.   Whenever I go south for vacation, it's almost impossible to run, with the heat and humidity.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/29/22 7:32 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Pond hockey. I'm not living in a state were I have to pay for ice. In a barn.

Between my FIL being in and out of the hospital, my wife having to be with him, and my daughter, the amount that I've played hockey outside this year is terrible. 

how's the ice up by you? I played in Libertyville a few weeks ago, and it was hard but not smooth at all. Still fun cause it was mostly little kids. Setting up the littlest ones with goals is awesome. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/29/22 7:40 p.m.
dean1484 said:

This is a good one but not unusual. I mean there was the blizzard of 78 that had snow drifts up to the top of the 2nd floor. We were jumping off the roof of our house as kids in to the snow around the house.  Dad was less than pleased. laugh

That was the best winter of my life. 

My father had to hire a guy with a payloader to do our driveway. 

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/29/22 8:05 p.m.

You call it a "good old-fashioned snow storm". It's winter after all. 

Then it became a nor'easter. 

The "catch phrase" a few years back for snow and cold weather was "polar vortex". Yes it was going to get cold and possibly snow.

The newest one I've heard is "bomb cyclone". Still cold and snow.

Waiting to see what they call winter next...........

Woody (Forum Supportum)
1/29/22 8:32 p.m.

In reply to lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) :

I heard them say "Bombogenesis" yesterday. 

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/29/22 9:01 p.m.

We got 19 inches out of this storm.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/29/22 9:14 p.m.

Earthquakes and tarantulas are so much more pleasant than freezing weather. I can't wait to move back to Texas or the southwest. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
1/29/22 10:08 p.m.

I live in Connecticut and we got a foot of snow here today.

When I retire, I'm moving to Maine. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
1/29/22 10:12 p.m.

Oh yeah, it snowed. 

A LOT. 

Here's a before pic of my patio:

And after:

Hard to really tell snow depth because of the drifts, but we got about 2 feet of powder. The big story are the snow drifts. I have never seen anything like this. 

The view out of my garage. That mound in front may contain a 1979 Pontiac Trans Am. 

I mean, wow. 

I'm 6ft 1in. These were well over my head. 

Oh, and then this happened:

Drive belt popped off my trusty Ariens Deluxe 24. I thought I popped the gear box, but luckily, just reinstalling the belt got me going again. Time to order a new belt for the next storm, because this one is stretched. 

This storm could have been A LOT worse. The height of the storm and high tide didn't coincide, or a lot more damage would have been done to the coast. Plus, the snow was the light, fluffy stuff, not the heavy, wet, backbreaking cement that we usually get with storms like this. I'll take it! 

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/29/22 10:36 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

That's a lot of snow!

My '78 Ariens just got me through our last storm with just over a foot of snow two weeks ago. My Auger belt just hung on but if I put too much load on it it would start slipping or the blower would stop. Spent last weekend sorting that all out and finally got the carb/governor set juuuussst right. Learned a lot about how they put these machines together, they're really easy to service. 

When you go to change that belt  the hole blower section pops off really easily and gives you access to them. Pop the belt cover off, loosen the belt guide and pull the auger belt off the drive pulley. Then it's just two more bolts and the front fully comes off  as it pivots on that lower bar.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
1/29/22 10:54 p.m.

In reply to adam525i :

This Ariens is only a few years old, but yeah, I love it. This is the 1st time it's had any issues, and it gets used and abused every year up here. It's easy to wrench on, and put together right. They don't mess around! 

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/29/22 11:20 p.m.

I love that I can still walk into a local dealer and get parts from the shelf for it even though it's 44 years old and that Ariens is still an independent company building these things in North America. The design is so simple but works so well and hasn't really changed after all these years. It's kind of funny though pulling a part number from the original manuals found online and then finding out that the part number has been superseded 5 times between then and now but still being used.

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
1/30/22 9:35 a.m.

Hah!  I fixed the neighbors, their drive belt was so stretched out it wouldn’t move.  I had held onto my original one and fortunately it was the right size for theirs.   I just looked out and there’s another 4-5 inches since I called it a day around 5:00 last evening.  

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/30/22 9:56 a.m.

We got a solid two inches at home, close to 7 at work.  

For reasons I don't understand there was a really clean Fishbowl driving around in it. 

I also don't understand people that willing live in the snow, I'm am avoiding it when I get out of here.  It's fun to watch a good storm here.  Things get really quite for a while then in the afternoon people come pouring out to play in it.   

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

Solid headgear choice.

Thank you, Since my hair is coming out I try to keep warm, and it's hard for customers to yell at someone with a funny hat. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
1/30/22 10:31 a.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

We got a solid two inches at home, close to 7 at work.  

For reasons I don't understand there was a really clean Fishbowl driving around in it. 

I also don't understand people that willing live in the snow, I'm am avoiding it when I get out of here.  

That bus is beautiful, and it matches the bank perfectly.

I have a hard time tolerating heat and humidity. I don't ever want to be in Florida during the summer again. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
1/30/22 10:41 a.m.

If you grow up with the cold you learn to deal with it and have fun. You just have to dress for it.....this was an outdoor hockey game.

No photo description available.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/30/22 11:47 a.m.

I grew up in the cold and still hate it. 

We got about 8" of snow from this storm in Seacoast, NH. At least that's what the wife told me, I'm the smart one and went to S. Cali last week for a month.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/30/22 12:44 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
1/30/22 1:02 p.m.

We got a touch of frost on the grass this morning. Just a touch. 

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
1/30/22 1:30 p.m.

This is two weeks ago. Pretty good for NC, it stuck around for four/five days.

This is Yesterday's snow. Fairly normal for NC 20 degrees and snow at breakfast.... sun bathing in the afternoon. 

Gary
Gary UltraDork
1/30/22 1:49 p.m.

Same two views as I posted yesterday. What a difference a day makes. Took around two hours to snowblow the driveway and front walkway and clean off the cars. Back to normal.

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/30/22 2:25 p.m.

I grew up in it. I moved to SC, NC and then worked in Texas for a couple years. I'm still in it. It can actually be kind of fun. My biggest problem with it is all of the cars are pieces of E36 M3. That is essentially all daily drivers. Sure there are some nice cars but if you want your car to be nice it's put away for 6 months. But you can snowmobile and ski and skate and all that is fun. Here is the very small outdoor rink I built for the kids to play on. They are having fun!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bzauKxbdyRf53Pr3UUG8ZPdifBAw432x353Tnkv2Xpvy8OiqDHcuJ6APhxtlNiWm