1 2
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
7/5/13 4:18 p.m.

Last night it sounded like a South American revolution in my n'hood. Binky the Wonder Cat hauled ass to parts unknown when the first big one went off and stayed out of sight till about 6AM today. The flag for this state needs to be changed; it needs to have a redneck with his hand blown off instead of the palmetto tree.

Secretariata
Secretariata GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/5/13 11:15 p.m.

In reply to Curmudgeon:

In the intermissions between explosions there were a lot of sirens...

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/6/13 10:35 a.m.
bastomatic wrote: There are definite negatives to living in a state that allows the sale of "real" fireworks. Neighbors who think every summer evening is the 4th of July, for example. Michigan has become a big fireworks state over the last couple years. It's not awesome.

Yeah, my neighbor down the block has a full on fireworks fetish. Every night all summer it's pop-boom-bang.

cwh
cwh PowerDork
7/6/13 10:51 a.m.

I hear pop boom bang almost every night, but it's not fireworks.

stroker
stroker Dork
7/6/13 11:52 a.m.
Hal wrote: 1 55 gallon drum 4 Cups of Dihydrogen Monoxide 1 Handful of Calcium Carbide 1 5-10 minute fuse That how we used to celebrate the 4th when I was a kid.

Never had a Chemistry class. What is that?

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
7/6/13 11:57 a.m.

In reply to stroker:

Calcium carbide+Water=Acetylene. Calcium carbide used to be rather easy to find, used in old acetylene lamps used in mining and antique cars.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
7/6/13 12:06 p.m.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/strange-looking-car-leads-to-explosives-charges

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
7/6/13 12:15 p.m.

Grumpy old men in this thread.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
7/6/13 12:17 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac:

The highfalutin' term is a curmudgeon, thankyaverramuch.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
7/6/13 5:32 p.m.

In reply to Curmudgeon:

Probably Oxyacetylene out of a cutting torch, it's some TOUCHY E36 M3, pressure, light, heat, static electricity, all end in KABOOM. The trick is to keep the balloon wet inside and out. A fist sized one sounds like a hand grenade.

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
7/6/13 5:38 p.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/strange-looking-car-leads-to-explosives-charges

http://www.esdjournal.com/static/Kansas/dauer%20truck.htm

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
7/6/13 6:29 p.m.

don't play w/ fireworks anymore, don't think I'm missing anything, have all my fingers btw

Hal
Hal Dork
7/6/13 8:16 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: In reply to stroker: Calcium carbide+Water=Acetylene. Calcium carbide used to be rather easy to find, used in old acetylene lamps used in mining and antique cars.

And make sure you put it out in the middle of a 10 acre field because it will be heard for miles!

pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
7/8/13 9:24 a.m.

Calcium Carbide is available, 10 pounds for $80.

https://www.lehmans.com/p-2220-five-2-lb-cans-of-calcium-carbide.aspx

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/8/13 9:47 a.m.

I was in the OBX for the 4th, and despite MANY signs describing how illegal it was to set off fireworks, there were impressive displays all up and down the beach. Some of them were borderline professional sized, and must not have come cheap! Made me wonder where I get some for next year!

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
7/8/13 10:29 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: I was in the OBX for the 4th, and despite MANY signs describing how illegal it was to set off fireworks, there were impressive displays all up and down the beach. Some of them were borderline professional sized, and must not have come cheap! Made me wonder where I get some for next year!

PA is good for them. So is Rocket City at South of the Border My neighbor, a generally nice guy, went up to PA before the 4th and got a couple mortar sets (a 9 shot and a 20 shot). We had a Sam's Club giant selection of fountains (you know, the nice legal kind), and he brought his two displays over to our house for a neighborhood get together. Now, mind you, we live about 2 blocks from the county cop substation...

Holy cow, those were pro looking mortars! I was afraid we'd get arrested, but no one showed up.

After spending a weekind in his huge pool, he and his brother in law deceded to go up to PA again yesterday afternoon and get a few of the bigger sets at the fireworks stand in PA (it's only 20 minutes away) and brought back about 5 sets of 3" mortar collections. He lit off a pair of the displays last night (both 9 shot sets) They lit up the neighborhood ,and apparently, according to friends of mine, they were visible above the trees from 4 blocks further away than the substation...

Not even a siren went off. And my dogs slept thought it again (and so did the neighbor's on the other side from us, who came out to watch after the first one went off). Luckily it only lasted about 30 seconds to a minute. Our cats were all sitting at the window. To be honest, the whistling legal fireworks got the dogs to take notice on the 4th. The couple times a whistler went off, they came to the back door and barked. I try not to set off any that whistle, but you often don't know beforehand.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
7/8/13 10:38 a.m.

Wisconsin state laws are something like 'legal to buy' but 'illegal to use'. And what you can't find in the stores or road side tents, you can drive to a Native American reservation to buy everything else.

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/24/22 6:33 a.m.

This canoe brought back some dusty memories from some greats who we've lost. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/18/22 8:28 a.m.

Please don't canoe on CWH. sad

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
5/18/22 8:44 a.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

Agreed

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners