1 2
captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/27/21 11:50 a.m.

I know that our host here have gotten out to some shows, and I now myself have gotten out to two and there's something unexpected that you don't think of or prepare for that hits you as you're walking into the venue. It gets dusty. Incredibly dusty. I don't know if that is more strong in my situation from having worked in live music for 3 years and having people that I'm fortunate enough to consider friends who are in touring bands. Or if it's because of some of the (and please nobody take this as anywhere on the political spectrum and flounder it) involvement that I personally had in the development of one of the vaccines as a patient who was in one of the clinicals at NIH after having had a significant covid infection that required hospitalization. 

But it's a heart-wrenching relief to see and be able to experience artists whose work you enjoy and whom you respect as people perform. And to laugh and a joke with them again. But there's also with that sense relief a sense of gravity and how fragile things really are. Having a friend who has been in a band for over 18 years at the start of the pandemic, talk about how last summer he started writing a resume, and how do you convey to potential hiring managers all of the logistics and organization and marketing and engagement and representation and branding and scheduling and HR stuff in terms of all the staff that a band has to do. They are business, they're family, but they're a business as well. 

It's also somewhat funny because I was joking with two of the guys about the John Mayer album, and we got on and off shoot with regards to talking about automotive journalists (which I'm also fortunate enough to be in contact with song)  as there seems to be a strange connection between musical artists and automotive journalists. I won't name any journalist from other publications out of respect to our host, but Mayer, the guys from Weezer, Dave Grohl, JK, and a myriad of others are friends with automotive journalists. In the conversation my friend brought up that there's a connection through writing and communicating and there's also an aspect that guys and bands enjoy and appreciate cars that are engaging and fun and can also fit and suit a need which may not be hauling around gear anymore but now for most of them involves hauling a family around, I've reached an age where the majority of my band friends have kids who now in middle school, or nearly entering it. It's crazy they have these little people who are super intelligent and have been exposed to amazing things in various cultures and people that have provided them all different perspectives which adds to their brilliance. But being in a band and having a family also takes up a lot of their time so when it comes time for them to purchase a vehicle they reach out to their friends who are automotive journalists and say here's what I want to do here's what I kind of like what should I get? Because I don't want to be in a dealership all the time and I don't want to be a prima donna who's sending a publicist to have to go to a dealer. 

They just want to enjoy things like anyone else without the headache and the happily live their lives. And getting back to performing shows is an important part of that. 

7/27/21 11:52 a.m.

I forgot to add, I can only imagine that there was a similar feeling, as silly as it may seem to some of us, for GRM staff to get back to their first local autocross or HPDE or when they took part in partnering and taking part in the Pine Mountain Hillclimb. Having something that you love to do that provides benefit to others and is financially viable taken away from you is gut-wrenching. Being able to resume it is a surreal euphoria that you're not even certain is real as it begins to reoccur. We appreciate you. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/27/21 12:17 p.m.

Enjoy it while it lasts.  I have a feeling we aren't out of the woods yet.

7/27/21 12:26 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

I agree but that's a tangent I'd rather not go down. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/27/21 12:39 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Enjoy it while it lasts.  I have a feeling we aren't out of the woods yet.

Meh, we've been going out to eat and available shows since Summer of last year. The locations and venues were doing social distancing, so I'm ok with that. 

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
7/27/21 12:45 p.m.

We should consider throwing some politicians in a volcano to appease the virus.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/27/21 12:58 p.m.

there wont be an "again" for me. 

7/27/21 1:23 p.m.

I'm going to ask an admin to put this on pause until somebody actually talks about a berkeleying concert experience. 

If we want to rehash or ponticate on things regarding the reality of the past 18 months, I can link to a thread that I started in January 2019 that makes a large number of people in this community look like berkeleying morons with their assertions that things would become remotely close to how they have been, or their assertation that it wouldn't at least here, in this country. 

In short pipe down and unless you're going to talk about experiences as we return to normalcy, with all due respect, get the berkeley out of my thread that was created to discuss those experiences. And to be clear this isn't directed at anyone It's directed at everyone.

bluebarchetta
bluebarchetta Reader
7/27/21 1:25 p.m.

I'm seeing Foo Fighters at the all-new Icon venue tomorrow night in Cincinnati.  It should be an amazing show - hopefully Dave and the guys have bottled up all their enthusiasm from the postponed 25th anniversary tour that was supposed to happen last year.

Not at all worried about the virus (got both Moderna vax shots in April, and I'm only 50 years old and 30 lbs overweight so I like my odds even if I got it), but I am a little concerned about being in an urban center after the events of summer 2020.   

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
7/27/21 1:26 p.m.

I haven't been to a show in years, but some good friends got to play one Saturday in Atlanta, and it meant a lot to them to get out again. 
Fingers crossed. 

As for me, any big shows would mean a trip to Vegas and I berking HATE that town. Local scene is small and quiet but there's some good talent when I'm in the mood for country and folk artists. Or SLC, but that's a 4 hour drive each way and I'm too old to want to stay out late and sleep on a couch just to go see a show on my own since wife isn't much of a metal fan. Really miffed that I wasted my last chance to see Rush on their clockwork angels tour that I had berking tickets for. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/27/21 1:30 p.m.

We have tickets to Reckless Kelly in September. We're ready to turn around if we're not comfortable in there. 

I'll feel a lot more comfortable once my daughter can get her vaccine.

7/27/21 1:50 p.m.

In reply to bluebarchetta :

The Foo Fighters at MSG was my first show "back" 

I Don't know how they got through portions of it with energy and charisma and bright item bushy-tailed having fun instead of having to hold back and restrain emotions that are positive in nature but also zap energy and the ability to perform at times. 

7/27/21 1:51 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

I thought R Kelly was in prison? 

(You're outside of Chicago, I had to go there) 

Tk8398
Tk8398 HalfDork
7/27/21 2:09 p.m.

The required risk tolerance to attend a live show has likely changed forever, and in talking to the people I know who will be performing and paying attention to how things have been going so far I don't know when I will go to another show.  

7/27/21 2:18 p.m.

In reply to Tk8398 :

Without delving into it, as it's not a topic I want to focus on, there are definitely varying levels of precautionary measures and systems to handle certain things to be considered with regards to what some may consider worthwhile versus other ways to handle things that may be fairly reckless. 

Ultimately, fan bases will decide. Thankfully there are a few streaming apps to watch live performances at home now. I've actually been watching the broadcast of the show that I attended Sunday evening now that I'm back home. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/27/21 2:20 p.m.

We have tickets to see The Hu in October in Boulder CO. It'll be our first show in awhile.

I'm hoping the live scene pops up again soon, I haven't really pushed a new drummer in awhile because there's no where to play anyway for us but not playing music is wearing on me.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/27/21 2:22 p.m.

My wife and I are going to see Chicago in Cincinnati on Friday.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltimaDork
7/27/21 2:38 p.m.

I really miss seeing live music. They've recently restarted here locally but shows are really ramping up this fall. Unfortunately, no one has played that I was interested in seeing so far, and our local numbers are climbing fast enough I don't think I'll be going out this fall. The venues here don't practice any precautions and they aren't required to.

Not trying to go down that road, just saying I miss it but I think I missed my window. 

7/27/21 2:41 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

I just got back from CO and it was impressive, I wish I had planned on spending more than 4 days out there. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/27/21 2:58 p.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

I'm going to ask an admin to put this on pause until somebody actually talks about a berkeleying concert experience. 

If we want to rehash or ponticate on things regarding the reality of the past 18 months, I can link to a thread that I started in January 2019 that makes a large number of people in this community look like berkeleying morons with their assertions that things would become remotely close to how they have been, or their assertation that it wouldn't at least here, in this country. 

In short pipe down and unless you're going to talk about experiences as we return to normalcy, with all due respect, get the berkeley out of my thread that was created to discuss those experiences. And to be clear this isn't directed at anyone It's directed at everyone.

April of last year we went to see Pablo Francisco at a comedy club. 

June of last year we went to a drive-in to see Bert Kreischer.

January of this year we went to see Mark Normand. 

Not music, but live comedy. The shows we had been planning on going to were canceled and no others have rebooked. However, we are going to two shows in October. One in OKC, one in Tulsa. Gojira for me, and then Dashboard Confessional for her.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Reader
7/27/21 3:16 p.m.

Pre-COVID, I bought a ticket to Furnace Fest down in Alabama, it's a lot of, mostly, hardcore bands for three days in Birmingham.

It was postponed...twice. And now it'll be in September. That's my first show back.

After that, there are two Im planning to go to in October (ugh, same week though)

Bad Religion and Alkaline Trio

The Menzingers

I miss live music, it's the thing I miss most since this whole thing started.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
7/27/21 4:52 p.m.

I began "clubing" again 6 weeks ago. A local outdoor stage at Iron Bound Farm with limited menu eatery on premise has music on Friday evenings. Local talent which abounds in the area. Last Friday there seven aquaintences showed up that I hadn't seen since pre pandemic, one who is an incredible sax player and sat in for most of Brian Molnar's show. I get the dusty part all too well!

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/27/21 4:59 p.m.

I'm considering starting up the Open Mic again - It was never mine, but I think everyone would be cool if I took the reigns. We'll see. 

I miss playing at the bar. We could easily do it on the patio, too.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/27/21 6:06 p.m.

Pre-covid, we did a lot of shows--like a lot. Sadly, haven't been back. We have tickets for some concerts, though: Five Eight (outdoors), Primus/The Sword (late August) and Bad Religion/War On Women (October). Fingers crossed as Florida, especially our town, seems to be a bit of a hot spot. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/27/21 8:31 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

When? They're on my list of bands to see.  

I went a bit crazy buying tickets. So far I've seen Raul Malo from the Mavericks and Blackberry Smoke. I have tickets for Hall & Oates, Luke Bryan, Brooks & Dunn, ZZ Top, Chris Stapleton, Jeff Ross & Dave Attell, and Billy Joel at the USGP. I'm not sure how many work will let me go see but I'm trying to stay optimistic.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3TvIuevTJ1b4GpI8P9iLhTJefmeojP4JBSPfwF5D1v8tUY9XV7v5WxCpLKTUJ4iE