JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
11/27/21 5:59 p.m.

I'm sorry if this is already been discussed. I checked through the last two pages of recent topics and off topic before posting.

Rosalee Baker, 55, of St. Petersburg allegedly tried to sell her neighbor’s 2001 BMW and a 2000 Ford F-150 to a scrap yard in Hillsborough County, according to an affidavit from SPPD.

https://www.wfla.com/news/pinellas-county/st-pete-woman-arrested-for-selling-neighbors-cars-for-scrap/

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/27/21 6:30 p.m.

Wow. I wonder about the condition of the vehicles. Maybe they were they in the downhill side of, "It's not for sale, I'm going to fix it up someday."

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
11/27/21 6:36 p.m.

WOW , $130,000 bail , they do not mess around in that county !

it will be interesting to  hear the full story , if she just wanted them gone or wanted the money ......ummmm

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/27/21 6:51 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

it will be interesting to  hear the full story , if she just wanted them gone or wanted the money ......ummmm

Despite my speculation that the vehicles may have been junk, I'm going with the latter possibility. 

johndej
johndej Dork
11/27/21 7:16 p.m.

Damn, actually surprised there were that many checks and she didn't get away with it. I've been present when a couple of cars have been "disappeared" (legally by the owner so far as I was aware) by calling some random cash for junk cars; including one of my own, and was amazed by the lack of paperwork.

Any of the times driver only had a phone number, address of the car, and in my case, signed title was in the glove box but guy didn't check. Others, owner just pointed, it was gone, and cash handed over. 

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
11/27/21 10:06 p.m.

I just checked and she is still in jail. She has some history with the courts, theft is one of her specialties.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
11/27/21 11:05 p.m.

In reply to johndej :

There aren't many checks where I'm from.

I walked into our local place that registers vehicles (long explanation of why insurance agents handle that sort of thing here) with a stack of titles from cars that I had parted out over a few years.

I explained that I have these titles for cars that no longer exist, which I have taken apart and that the VINs should probably be flagged in the system as "scrapped" or "dismantled" or whatever.

They told me that sort of thing isn't tracked and there was no need to do that.

I asked "what if someone were to use this title and the VIN tag from the car to register a stolen car in their name?"

I received a blank stare and the comment that "You can't do that! That would be fraud!"

I'm sure the criminals know that would be fraud and don't care. How about actually doing something to prevent it? It might help the insane insurance prices in the province get under control.

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
11/28/21 12:01 a.m.

ICBC did "De-status" or "D"-Status a vehicle for me that I had cut up way back.

Could be the limited experience of the person you spoke with.

Every spring I usually have to explain that my "Ubilt" is a car, not a trailer.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
11/28/21 12:33 a.m.

In reply to SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) :

I drove a Pontiac "Other" for a few years. Because "Pathfinder" is a Nissan.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
11/28/21 8:12 a.m.
californiamilleghia said:

Seems like 90% of Cops or any other jail tv show are based in that county. 

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
11/28/21 9:26 a.m.

Been there, done that, and yeah, it was pretty much "here it is, thanks."

This was  many years ago, when Tim worked part-time for a guy who got behind on Tim's sales commissions, then just refused to pay him what he owed him. Tim took him to small claims, small claims said here's your judgement, good luck because this guy has a string of them against him already.

This guy also liked to get Tim, and sometimes me, to run errands for him. One of those errands had been dropping his car off at the repair shop. So after the court said GFL, we picked up the car, drove it to a junkyard, and junked it. 

Sure did feel like justice.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/28/21 9:56 a.m.

In reply to Marjorie Suddard :

Has that been published? Because it sure seems like it's a story worth publishing!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/28/21 10:04 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

Are we past the statute of limitations?  

Note to self: don't owe Margie money.  

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/28/21 10:08 a.m.

In reply to Marjorie Suddard :

And Margie goes on the "don't berk with" list.

Marjorie Suddard
11/28/21 10:57 a.m.

It's not been published, but I checked: We're far, far past the statute of limitations. Also, I'm hurt I wasn't already on the "don't berk with" list. :D

Thundercock Johnson II, esq.
Thundercock Johnson II, esq. MegaDork
11/28/21 11:32 a.m.

So, is this now an escalation of pushing the envelope? First you get patio'd, then you get scrapped?

Marjorie Suddard
11/28/21 11:45 a.m.

Nah, opposite: Scrapping was more of a test patioing.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/28/21 11:48 a.m.
John Welsh said:

I'm pretty sure she doesn't want any more NA Miatas though. 

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
11/28/21 11:58 a.m.

Love people and organizations that refuse to pay sales commissions.  I was in that exact place early in my sales career and it just sucks.  I was actually told to sell more so that they could pay me what they already owed me.  "Yeah, no thanks you're fired" is the correct response here.  

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/28/21 12:08 p.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:
John Welsh said:

I'm pretty sure she doesn't want any more NA Miatas though. 

Weird. I know what all of those words mean but i do not understand the sentence.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb UltraDork
11/29/21 8:10 a.m.

In reply to wawazat :

This is one of the downsides to working flat rate at a dealership. All techs kept a notebook in their toolbox to keep track of how many hours they are owed. I completely understand that it's a complicated system for payroll to keep track of, and there will be mistakes. But if it is honest mistakes you would think at least once they would pay too much. Nope, never happened. They always seemed to "accidentally" under pay. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rFVfH8zOCXe63A8Y2HkW8cOxCXgwZ7beEewWUd34KgliH96J6SIrkOu9tCVDC7Gq