daytonaer
daytonaer HalfDork
10/11/21 3:30 p.m.

Does anyone know what happens if you don't follow the directions when using floor self-leveling compound?

Specifically I want to add extra water to the mix to get it to flow better.

So far I have done 2 rooms, with varying success and frustration. I am not actually trying to level the floor, I am simply trying to make it flat so a floating click together type floor placed over will sit flat.

I have followed the directions perfectly, I have purchased a spike roller to break the surface tension.  I have surface undulations I am concerned may cause a floating floor above to "pop" apart if certain pressures are placed over the "voids" 

Interestingly in one of the 20 or so bags I mixed I added extra water to try to combat a mixing drill which died and that bag went down smooth as glass and has zero undulations. It did crack when it cured, but the cracks are hairline.

I am aware an incorrect mix ratio will cause weakness in the calculated cure of the mix, but I really don't need it to be very strong, just flat. It will really only have foot traffic and will be covered with a floating click together floor. 

I'm leaning toward getting a few extra bags and mixing thin to try to smooth out the undulations I made worse with the leveler.  Worst case scenario I can imagine is the thin second layer I place will lift and warp causing a moving surface under the floating laminate floor I put on top. 

Thanks

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OamhodQYCI1RvtU5t4fwo3IfxhoKEdWdqSHqjJg7ZS5ga6PCZBfy61dQmKIjkd9y