1 2 3 4 ... 7
914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
7/1/09 7:05 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Got the idea from a "food horror stories" thread I was reading. Anything mixing mayonnaise and ketchup - Food from hell. There is a salad made from nothing but mayonnaise mixed with ketchup, I forget the name but it's orangey-pink and tastes like a cruel prank.

Sounds like Thousand Island salad dressing, Russian Dressing is the same but has chopped pickles in it.

Catalina Dressing used to be my favorite until I worked in a resteraunt and had to make it: 50/50 ketchup and oil whipped together, no spices.

Unfortunately GameBoy, as my waistline will attest, there isn't a food I don't like and nothing I won't try twice. Maybe the first time it wasn't prepared well; twice, then decide.

Artichokes to Zebra Mussels, and my favorite pizza has grilled eggplant on it. Recalibrate your tongue, there's a lot out there you're missing.

Dan

TJ
TJ Reader
7/1/09 7:06 a.m.

Surprised that there is more than one melon hater. Not too surprised about the mayo haters.

I've been trying to gain an appreciation for swiss chard. It should not be eaten.

How about kohlrabi? Look strange, but taste pretty plain - sorta like a turnip.

I've not eaten liver and really don't see the need to.

Not a big fan of mushrooms - they are a fungus after all. I'll eat them if they're on my pizza or in a spaghetti sauce, but I don't enjoy the texture of them.

Peaches - don't like the taste, smell, the fuzz. I don't eat them.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
7/1/09 7:21 a.m.

People don't like mayonnaise? That's like saying you don't like sex.

Those of you who like your steak well done: a place we used to go when I was a kid would, if you ordered a steak well done, bring out a plate with an old boot on it. They did that to my mom, the expression on her face was hilarious. There's no way anybody could really like a well done steak.

I'm pretty easy to feed, with a few exceptions.

Can't stand salmon. Most fish I can tolerate, I really like flounder and Spanish mackerel (try it broiled with paprika and lemon juice!), but salmon just will not do.

Bell peppers are good unless they are cooked till mushy, then they are disgusting. I also (and this is like blasphemy here in the Deep South) cannot abide okra, unless it's well hidden in vegetable soup. If it's boiled in a pot on the stove, it strongly resembles gorilla snot. Ewww.

I guess this doesn't really fall in the 'common foods' category, but kimchee is disgusting. If I had a choice between kimchee and the aforementioned boot on a plate, I'd have to sit down and think 'er over.

Other than those items, I pretty much shovel it all in. And my waistline shows it.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/1/09 7:24 a.m.

After reading some of your comments about bacon, cheese, and mayo, I'm beginning to reconsider being associated with this group..... ;-)

For me it's broccoli. I don't know how to describe it except to say that if evil has a flavor, that's what broccoli tastes like.

BAMF
BAMF Reader
7/1/09 7:25 a.m.

Crustaceans. They are like insects. However, they marinate in the sea. Disgusting.

Also, you have to rip them apart at your table. Imagine doing that with a pig or cow.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
7/1/09 7:26 a.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: After reading some of your comments about bacon, cheese, and mayo, I'm beginning to reconsider being associated with this group..... ;-)

Agreed.

BACON IS MEAT CANDY.

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Memberand SonDork
7/1/09 7:27 a.m.

Mushrooms.

Onions.

I won't eat any of them.

walterj
walterj Dork
7/1/09 7:27 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Bacon - maybe just because of the reeking death-stench associated with preparing it at home. That smell scars you for life, and that's before you see the grease left behind.

Do your friends call you "comrade" where you are from?

cwh
cwh Dork
7/1/09 7:34 a.m.

Where he's from, they eat iguanas and cow's foot soup. No, really!

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
7/1/09 7:34 a.m.
walterj wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote: Bacon - maybe just because of the reeking death-stench associated with preparing it at home. That smell scars you for life, and that's before you see the grease left behind.
Do your friends call you "comrade" where you are from?

Hahaha....

I would buy Bacon insensce or candles if i could find them.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/1/09 7:38 a.m.

Beer.

Seriously. It must be like the cilantro thing with me. I think it's a body chemistry thing. And beer I've ever had just has a weird, sharp, metallic taste that makes the far back corners of my tongue recoil.

Also, raw tomatoes by themselves. Love tomatoes as a component of something else, love tomato juice, gazpacho, salsa, any cooked tomato product. But a raw tomato slice on a hamburger usually gets tossed.

On the other hand, there's not much you could to to an onion to make me NOT eat it.

jg

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/1/09 7:42 a.m.
Salanis wrote:
Luke wrote: I think you might be doing Shepherd's Pie wrong. It's not meant to have macaroni. And it has to be hot.
Yeah, Shepherd's Pie is supposed to be meat, potatoes, and veggies in gravy, topped with mashed potatoes and cheese, then baked. It's very British (i.e. gravy and a crust).

Yeah realized it last night, I meant macaroni pie.

I also can't stand onions, cheese or mayo in anything but very small quantities. Onions are to be used like salt, not a main ingredient. They make everything they touch taste old and stale.

Also I understand the hate for guacamole if you eat the store-bought stuff, the texture is sickening because it's pretty much been blended to a liquid. If you prepare it yourself by smooshing it, it has a much nicer texture and tastes much better than the store-bought stuff.

Oh, another thing I can't stand is canned tuna, the only thing worse than the taste is the smell. I wasn't surprised one bit to find out about the mercury issue, that accounts for the metallic smell...

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
7/1/09 8:06 a.m.

I can't walk in a Chinese restaurant. It's the smell... maybe soy? If I could get past the smell, I'm sure there's something on the menu I'd like, but I just can't deal with it.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
7/1/09 8:12 a.m.

Rutabagas. Radishes. Beets. Boiled okra. Asparagus.

Everything else is fair game.

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
7/1/09 8:17 a.m.

Tofu,liver,spaghetti,pecan pie,Jell-O,anchovies,avacado's,oysters,brussel sprouts.

*EDIT.....oh yeah...octopus and squid.....bleech.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury HalfDork
7/1/09 8:18 a.m.

Broccoli - raw it tastes like grass, cooked - it tastes like old socks

I will pretty much eat everything else

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
7/1/09 8:19 a.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: For me it's broccoli. I don't know how to describe it except to say that if evil has a flavor, that's what broccoli tastes like.

That's EXACTLY how I feel about cantaloupe. Thank you for putting it into words.

Other than that, I don't think there's a food I won't eat... and okay, I'll eat cataloupe, but it's a struggle. Even nasty food is, well... food. And I like food.

Margie

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/1/09 8:20 a.m.

I am a bit of an oddball when it comes to food.

I like octopus.. raw, served at a japanese restuarant. It is one of my favs. It's a bit (a lot) chewy, but good!

Squid is a different matter.. it is like eating and flossing at the same time.

Can't stand onion (I claim allergies too)

And I cannot stand crustacians. I tried to be a marine biologist (still wish I had gone through with that) and thought crabs and the like were really neat.. until I learned where they live and what they eat. No way I am eating a bottom feeder. Same with mollusks (clams, oysters, and mussels) Filter feeders are slimey, disgusting, and suck up all the bad E36 M3 in the water and call it food.

I too dislike mayo.. but I do like miracle whip.

I know a LOT of people who cannot stand the texture of tomatos

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
7/1/09 8:20 a.m.

I used to be a lot more picky, but here's my list.

Mushrooms - This one aught to be a given.

Onions - I'm starting to tolerate them in certain settings, but for the most part get them the berkeley away from my food.

Any animal that lives under water - berkeleying gross. Tuna is semi-tolerable, and I have eaten salmon without vomiting, but it was touch and go.

Over-cooked vegetables - I used to think I hated broccoli, but it turns out all the broccoli I'd ever eaten was horribly over-cooked for my taste.

Certain Melons - Mainly cantaloupe and honeydew, although I love watermelon and boobies.

That's about it. I would be perfectly happy eating a block of cheese for every meal, maybe throw in a red potato or two every now and then.

WilD
WilD Reader
7/1/09 8:24 a.m.

tofu - Contrary to what some say, it DOES have a flavor and it ain't good. The texture is also just plain wrong.

Tomatoes in a salad - I can tolerate them sliced on a burger, but can't stand them when paired with lettuce. I'm pretty sure it is the texture.

Whatever is the main ingredient in tabouli (cilantro?) - tastes like eating a weed...

rmarkc
rmarkc New Reader
7/1/09 8:27 a.m.

Wow. I thought I was a picky eater.

Mushrooms, don't like the texture and if found in something where they have flavor that isn't disguised by oregano and tomato sauce, I can't stand them.

Almost any and all seafood. Shrimp, crab and lobster are the cockroaches of the sea. All fish have that fishy smell. I don't like it and I won't eat them. The exceptions to this rule are fish sticks and fishcamp fried flounder.

Cheese, I'm pretty pedestrian here. Cheddar, American, Swiss, Provolone, Mozzarella...I'm good with those but Bleu and the other stinky cousins...do not want. I can take Ricotta in lasagna. Add cottage cheese and cream cheese to the list I don't eat.

Meat, I like it. Bacon, pork, beef, chicken, turkey and venison in all their forms be it jerky, fried, baked, boiled, Spam, potted, sausage or fried are delicious. I've never had bison, emu, snake, gator or turtle but I've heard they are tasty too.

Liver - Ick. Dad loves the fried chicken livers that KFC has (had?). I will eat fried livermush though so I guess its OK if it is highly disguised.

Onions, raw or cooked, are great. I haven't had one in years but I've been known to eat an onion sandwich. Its just bread, mayo and onion slices.

Tomatoes - I like them in sauces or soup but I can't eat raw ones.

Pickles - cucumbers are great in their natural form with a little salt. Why soak one in brine and vinegar?

Fruit - I'm good with all I've experienced, except tomatoes as mentioned above. I haven't developed a taste for plantains yet but I've had 'em and didn't puke.

Nuts - I don't like brazil nuts but everything else is tasty and some are darn addicting (cashews and pistachios).

Veggies - I can count on one hand the ones I like.

Southern food staples - I'm born and bred a southern redneck but I can't stand collard greens, black-eyed peas or fried okra.

Type Q
Type Q HalfDork
7/1/09 9:14 a.m.

I eat almost everything and enjoy it. The one I find is that almost all commercially made dessert items, cakes, cookies, ice cream, Twinkies, etc in the US are way too sweet for my tastes. When I make something for myself I usually put in half to two thirds the sugar that a recipe calls for and it tastes right. I am also not found of large amounts of salt.

Soma007
Soma007 New Reader
7/1/09 9:34 a.m.

Beans - Nasty stuff, especially Lima beans. The texture is disgusting and the flavor isn't much better. The exception is good baked beans, especially if it has some form of bacon in it. That brings me to my second rule of food: Bacon and/or pork makes everything better.

Seafood (aka "Sea Bugs") - I don't eat anything with more than four legs, tiny little eyes, and an exoskeleton. Fish too. The smell alone makes me want to vomit. The exception is breaded & fried shrimp. That brings me to my first rule of food: Deep frying makes any food better.

Other than that I'll eat about anything. Cow and pig are my favorites though.

Rusty_Rabbit84
Rusty_Rabbit84 HalfDork
7/1/09 9:39 a.m.

i cant do water chestnuts. i dont know why, think its the texture of it, but i get repulsed by it if i see them. They have no taste, just flat out boring. Cant think of any others...

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Reader
7/1/09 9:57 a.m.

Ginger and also pot cheese and noodles

1 2 3 4 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TO4i6taRbNFhdN8tESoWcVXkjbZ3NZyKtrG5lImm3xXLrMqZlsRMnXpZmgF0BiMv