1 2 3 4 5 6 7
walterj
walterj Dork
7/1/09 1:55 p.m.

Licorice tastes like Anis.

Travis_K
Travis_K HalfDork
7/1/09 2:06 p.m.

Steak ( i can eat it but I dont like it), crab, garlic, ginger, anise seed, sliced turkey lunch meat, pretty much gastropod/mollusk type animal, except clam chowder is ok.

scardeal
scardeal New Reader
7/1/09 2:53 p.m.

I think the only things that are wrong are the following:

Head cheese - This is ridiculously gross.

Tofu

Oysters

Raisins in things - by themselves, they're fine. The moment it gets placed in a baked good, it turns into pure evil. This is infinitely true of cookies. Chocolate chips are the Autobots and raisins are the Decepticons. There is nothing more heart-wrenching than taking a huge bite of a cookie, only to find that the little black dots are raisins rather than chocolate chips. Devilish little things they are.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 HalfDork
7/1/09 3:23 p.m.

I figured out that beer is an acquired taste. I don't do hard liquor anymore, only beer. Onions, what's wrong with you guys? I like onions. And Mayo, granted I prefer Miracle Whip but that's what I grew up with. I even use it with fries. Now seafood, since I grew up on the coast of SoCal I used to eat it a lot, as I got older the body can only take it in small quanities, not the main course of a meal. Having a Korean wife means I have eaten things most won't but there are things she eats that I don't. We even have a deal about her tofu & fish(head) stew, she cooks it when I'm not home as it smells ba-a-ad.

What I have issues with is sour, anything sour or with vinegar. Which leaves out pickles (or peppers from a jar), the seed part of a tomato, sour cream, etc... Also I like mushroom seasoning but can't stand to eat the slimy things. And olives. Tofu is another don't eat for me, the asian wife almost lives off of it, tastes like fat to me. Liver I can do without but can eat it if I had to. And I don't like melons. There are other foods that I can live without.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
7/1/09 4:30 p.m.
walterj wrote:
Duke wrote:
slantvaliant wrote: Raw meat - what are you people thinking? Meat should be cooked through.
We're thinking we like delicious, subtle flavor and tender, juicy texture instead of shoe leather.
Long before there was fire, animals were delicious.

My wife was a "cook it till its shoe leather" person when we met because she was raised that way. The first time I prepared a proper medium rare london broil for her she changed her entire outlook on beef.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
7/1/09 4:43 p.m.

I heart seafood, even the crustaceans you have to disassemble at the table. Doing that just proves where I am on the food chain. Octopus and squid, yummy. Although I do prefer my calamari fried rather than broiled. The only seafood I am on the fence about is gator tail and it's not the flavor, it's because it's chewy as the dickens. I get worn out trying to eat the stuff.

I've never tried tofu, I guess I should sometime.

All raw veggies are fair game, except for the aforementioned okra. If cooked, I like my veggies crunchy. About the only restaraunt chain that can get them the way I like them is Outback. Man I loves a bloomin' onion.

There's lots of stuff I am ambivalent about, I don't actively dislike them but I don't go out of my way for them either.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
7/1/09 4:44 p.m.

Soda. At least, the mainstream stuff that is just corn syrup and chemicals.

jbone
jbone New Reader
7/1/09 4:47 p.m.

Cole slaw. Can't stand it. I'll eat the ass end of a dead rhino before I eat some cole slaw.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
7/1/09 4:47 p.m.
foxtrapper wrote: I'm at a loss. If it's food, I eat it. Heck, if it's not food, I frequently eat it. The opposum is my hero. It eats everything. I strive to be like the opposum!

That's "Say What" material right there.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/1/09 5:19 p.m.
scardeal wrote: Raisins in things - by themselves, they're fine. The moment it gets placed in a baked good, it turns into pure evil. This is infinitely true of cookies. Chocolate chips are the Autobots and raisins are the Decepticons. There is nothing more heart-wrenching than taking a huge bite of a cookie, only to find that the little black dots are raisins rather than chocolate chips. Devilish little things they are.

Yeah I can't imagine why people would put raisins in things...if raisins in things were all replaced by chocolate chips or blueberries it would be an improvement every time.

Soda also makes me feel like I'm going to explode.

slowcamaro
slowcamaro New Reader
7/1/09 6:09 p.m.

Nuts. No nuts for me.

bludroptop
bludroptop Dork
7/1/09 6:27 p.m.
Jensenman wrote: There's lots of stuff I am ambivalent about, I don't actively dislike them but I don't go out of my way for them either.

Shark. I don't hate shark, but I'm not going to run to a restaurant because the serve it.

Tofu. Never met a person who didn't like my tofu recipe. Spicy batter fried wedges, with dipping sauce.

I haven't ever eaten bugs (at least unless riding a motorcycle) but I have every confidence that - prepared correctly - they're delicious.

InigoMontoya
InigoMontoya Reader
7/1/09 7:02 p.m.

I have actually been trying to expand my palate lately, so have been making myself go back and try foods that I did not previously like, usually in multiple preperations.

I used to not like mushrooms, but I discovered a difference between the types and have started sauteing them up or using them in cream sauces, I have come around (much to my wife's delight, she loves them).

Cauliflower- Don't like it by itself, but a blended soup tastes much like a potato soup and I can go with that.

Still don't like peas and carrots much, but grilled carrots are good, and either raw is fine with me.

rmarkc
rmarkc New Reader
7/1/09 7:17 p.m.

I don't really care for the taste of beer unless it is ice cold and I have a salty snack to accompany it. But then again, I don't drink beer purely for the taste.

Rum...brings back (hazy) memories of college. A 16oz Coke with a good qty of 151 added make a great traveling companion, social lubricant and antifreeze all in one tasty package...but after a few of those, I'm off Coke for a day or two, and I love Coke.

Anyway, a friend in college summed up alcoholic beverages very well. He said "I'm an Irish drunk. I don't drink to be social, I drink to get drunk." I'm primarily Scot/Irish and there isn't a part of that statement I disagree with.

Licorice??? Are you folks mad? I can (and have) sit and eat an entire bag of black jelly beans.

Another college friend introduced me to Ouzo, an anis flavored Greek liquor.

And a Colombian neighbor introduced me to an apparently popular Colombia liquor that is also anis flavored.

And a coworker made some Mexican wedding cookies that were anis flavored too.

Jelly beans, cookies and 2 kinds of liquor, that is almost a full meal.

If 3 cultures came up with popular products that taste like black licorice, it must be good.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
7/1/09 7:18 p.m.
wherethefmi wrote: I only hate onions, I usually lie and say I'm allergic to avoid them.

Hmm, im my allergie training at work it was mentioned that there has never been a true case of an onion allergie, just people saying that to avoid eating it

Duke
Duke Dork
7/1/09 7:37 p.m.
walterj wrote: Licorice tastes like Anus.

Fixed that for you.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
7/1/09 8:23 p.m.
neon4891 wrote:
wherethefmi wrote: I only hate onions, I usually lie and say I'm allergic to avoid them.
Hmm, im my allergie training at work it was mentioned that there has never been a true case of an onion allergie, just people saying that to avoid eating it

Yeah--I work with a chick who swears she's allergic to onions. I just smile and nod. In my head, I'm thinking "there's no berkeleying way you're allergic to onions". I'm thinking either her doctor is a quack or she just wants to be difficult.

BTW--if you're taking a course on it, it's spelled "allergy"

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/1/09 8:36 p.m.

I hate liver, lima beans, and I'm not a big fan of olives. I despise radishes, and I'm not fond of raw cabbage.

Otherwise I have a liking for some really odd things. Pickled Bear heart, Pig Souse, Scrapple, venison, squirrel... pretty much anything I can legally shoot with a gun.

Hal
Hal HalfDork
7/1/09 9:24 p.m.
foxtrapper wrote: I'm at a loss. If it's food, I eat it. Heck, if it's not food, I frequently eat it. The opposum is my hero. It eats everything. I strive to be like the opposum!

+1 And the opposum tastes pretty good too if it is prepared properly.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
7/1/09 9:35 p.m.

my only major NOOOOooo food is english muffins. something about the smell of them toasting has LITERALLY led me to violently throw up on multiple occasions. I will NOT allow them to be prepared under any roof where I am staying.

my GF is weird.. she will eat sushi, tofu, and many weird japanese dishes, BUT shes stringent about the following.. NO tomatoes, peppers of any kind (even green bell), and sauces are a no-no.. she wont eat a salad with dressing, mustard is a no go on any sammich... the no tomatoes thing REALLY limits me and the pickyness on sauces is even worse. (and I really like to cook for people)

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Reader
7/1/09 9:38 p.m.

I am constantly baffled and repulsed by things like "Manwich" or Hambuger helper type stuff. It does not taste at all good and I wonder how there is such a huge market for it that there is so much of it at the supermarket at one time. I have never eaten a hot pocket and I hope I never do.

My hates.

Cooked peas. Gross.

The number one. A glass of milk. The very thought of downing a big ol mug of dead white blood cells, animal fat and cholesterol, dioxins, and bacteria make me nauseous.

Luke
Luke Dork
7/1/09 9:48 p.m.

^^I can only drink a glass of milk if it's accompanied by a plate of cookies or chocolate. But not by itself.

Another one for me is McDonald's hamburgers. All other burger franchises are fine, but there's just something too processed and artificial-tasting about McDonald's burgers.

Also, any fizzy/"sparkling" or overly sweet wine is gross, (too sickly.)

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter HalfDork
7/1/09 10:01 p.m.
16vCorey wrote: Any animal that lives under water - berkeleying gross. Tuna is semi-tolerable, and I have eaten salmon without vomiting, but it was touch and go.

OMG, I thought I was the only one!

The mere smell of sea"food" used to trigger gag reflex for me. I've gotten better about some of it after living on the coast for a few years, I can choke down fresh, wild, caught-that-day salmon and ahi ahi, but that's it. The thought of eating seabugs disgusts me (crab is the single most disgusting thing to consume EVER), and nori still almost makes me throw up just being within 12" of my face.

I'm also not big on mushrooms, I can handle them chopped up and cooked into other things, but if there's too much, or they're fresh, I'll pick 'em out.

I tolerate cilantro. Beets taste like dirt. Fresh mango tastes like pine tree. Onion must be cooked.

I also am not enamored with bacon. I don't dislike it, but I don't like smoked things at all, and "good" bacon is smoked. Ugh.

I used to not like mayo, but I figured out why - I like just a wee bit of mayo on things, everyone else seems to just coat their food with it. I can't even put "easy on the mayo", as people STILL put too much on.

But I berkleying LOVE cheeseburgers!

motomoron
motomoron New Reader
7/1/09 10:23 p.m.

Melon, peaches, all but the very freshest strawberries I find pretty disgusting. I really don't like chain restaurant food (Chilis-Ruby Tuesday-TGI Fridays-etc.etc) Raw endive, bitter greens I'd rather not. Sheet cake and cloyingly sweet processed white sugar based deserts.

Otherwise I am a wide-palate food enthusiast. I love anything an "omakase" sushi chef can throw my way; raw sea urchin roe? all manner of fish, shell fish, barnacles, and unclassified sea creatures? yum. Meat is murder? No. Meat is Magic...A rare hanger steak in all it's gamy goodness? oh lord.

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
7/1/09 10:30 p.m.

1st off, shepard's pie is not made with "meat" it's made with lamb or mutton. Cottage pie Is made with meat, usually beef.

Beer- of it were meant to be cold, God would make my cellar cooler.

Beets- only good for colouring my pickled eggs.

Veggies-raw please. Cooked I generally don't care for them.

Beef- if you can find the creature's mother, alternatively, open the oven, cut the back from it and simply throw the steak through the oven, as fast as possible.

Melons, I can utterly destroy a watermelon, but don't care for any others. Scratch that, I hate other types of melon.

Onions. They make me vomit, just not from my mouth.

Mushrooms, they are likely to keep me from doing the above, but for everything in my system (though I do like the flavor, it's the surgery that I hate).

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
61oOnRKBNJsmVU0zgJbhjQ061yZ0lS23s1AwYLEvSVrvcXYZsBwRBtj93VDEGt6O