1 ... 3 4 5 6 7
DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
7/1/09 10:49 p.m.
gamby wrote:
neon4891 wrote:
wherethefmi wrote: I only hate onions, I usually lie and say I'm allergic to avoid them.
Hmm, im my allergie training at work it was mentioned that there has never been a true case of an onion allergie, just people saying that to avoid eating it
Yeah--I work with a chick who swears she's allergic to onions. I just smile and nod. In my head, I'm thinking "there's no berkeleying way you're allergic to onions". I'm thinking either her doctor is a quack or she just wants to be difficult. BTW--if you're taking a course on it, it's spelled "allergy"

I have a friend who is legitimately allergic to them. I've never seen him in more distress than when we went to the Varsity and he couldn't have rings.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
7/1/09 10:51 p.m.
mistanfo wrote: 1st off, shepard's pie is not made with "meat" it's made with lamb or mutton. Cottage pie Is made with meat, usually beef.

If it grows out of the ground, it's a plant. Otherwise, it's meat.

walterj
walterj Dork
7/2/09 12:16 a.m.
Duke wrote:
walterj wrote: Licorice tastes like Anus.
Fixed that for you.

Was I too subtle?

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
7/2/09 6:22 a.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote:
gamby wrote:
neon4891 wrote:
wherethefmi wrote: I only hate onions, I usually lie and say I'm allergic to avoid them.
Hmm, im my allergie training at work it was mentioned that there has never been a true case of an onion allergie, just people saying that to avoid eating it
Yeah--I work with a chick who swears she's allergic to onions. I just smile and nod. In my head, I'm thinking "there's no berkeleying way you're allergic to onions". I'm thinking either her doctor is a quack or she just wants to be difficult. BTW--if you're taking a course on it, it's spelled "allergy"
I have a friend who is legitimately allergic to them. I've never seen him in more distress than when we went to the Varsity and he couldn't have rings.

Mmmmm... Varsity Grill.... mmmmm.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
7/2/09 6:31 a.m.
curtis73 wrote: Scrapple

Okay, I forgot this one in the 'no farkin' way I'll ever eat it again' category. Along with pickled pigs' feet.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/2/09 7:29 a.m.

I see a lot of hate for mushrooms...I like them on my pizza, but I can't stand them when they're cooked into something, because they always come out with the texture, elasticity and taste of a dog toy.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
7/2/09 7:54 a.m.
ditchdigger wrote: The number one. A glass of milk. The very thought of downing a big ol mug of dead white blood cells, animal fat and cholesterol, dioxins, and bacteria make me nauseous.

Oooo... i forgot about that one. So so far, i have sun-dried tomatos, and milk. Milk makes me physically ill. Not because i'm lactose intolerant, but just the aftertaste, the coating it leaves, the way it smells, and the way it looks.

Chocolate milk is yummy. Even strawberry milk is yummy. Soy milk is yummy.

Regular milk? BARF. Skim milk is even worse. LOOK AT IT!!! IT'S GREY!!! GREY LIQUID =/= GOOD.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant Reader
7/2/09 9:24 a.m.

Just to cement my status as a heretic:

Beer. Yes, I've tried "good" beers, according to those who study such things, and microbrews, and homemade, and the cheap stuff too. I've tried beer when I was hot and sweaty, and I've tried it in a cozy place with friends. I"ve tried it with pizza, steak, and alone. And I was allowed to sample it when young. My father and my three siblings all like it. Mom and I were alone in not enjoying the taste.

I've tried it. Really. I just don't like it.

Give me a REAL rootbeer, or ginger ale instead, and I'm good to go!

slantvaliant
slantvaliant Reader
7/2/09 9:33 a.m.
Duke wrote: We're thinking we like delicious, subtle flavor and tender, juicy texture instead of shoe leather.

A cook who knows his business can prepare meat "well done" without charring, making it tough, or removing flavor. In fact, proper cooking enhances some aspects of the flavor.

walterj wrote: Long before there was fire, animals were delicious.

And grubs, worms, and roadkill (pathkill?) were once considered pretty good eats, too. Some of us evolved.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Reader
7/2/09 9:38 a.m.

these are gold!

http://www.thesneeze.com/mt-archives/cat_steve_dont_eat_it.php

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
7/2/09 9:55 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: I see a lot of hate for mushrooms...I like them on my pizza, but I can't stand them when they're cooked into something, because they always come out with the texture, elasticity and taste of a dog toy.

Mmmm... not sure I want to know just how you are able to accurately compare mushroom and dog toy taste.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
7/2/09 10:42 a.m.
ditchdigger wrote: these are gold! http://www.thesneeze.com/mt-archives/cat_steve_dont_eat_it.php

I'm crying at work now.... thanks, you jerk!

Duke
Duke Dork
7/2/09 11:05 a.m.
slantvaliant wrote: Give me a REAL rootbeer

Bleah. Rootbeer tastes like bubbly mouthwash. And I've had "good" rootbeers, too.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
7/2/09 11:08 a.m.

We haven't had real root beer in the US since '69. Most of the stuff big name brands are just sorta-rootbeerish flavoring and high fructose corn syrup. Blech.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg Dork
7/2/09 11:28 a.m.

I dislike the fake Cherry and Cinnamon flavors but love the real thing, as to all other foods I will try anything once, not big on eating bugs but that is in my head not my tastebuds.

Duke
Duke Dork
7/2/09 11:38 a.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: We haven't had real root beer in the US since '69. Most of the stuff big name brands are just sorta-rootbeerish flavoring and high fructose corn syrup. Blech.

I've had artisan-crafted rootbeer made by our local microbrewery. That's what tasted like fuzzy mouthwash. The regular stuff tastes like godknowswhat.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
7/2/09 11:47 a.m.
ditchdigger wrote: these are gold! http://www.thesneeze.com/mt-archives/cat_steve_dont_eat_it.php

That's a classic.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
7/2/09 11:56 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: I see a lot of hate for mushrooms...I like them on my pizza, but I can't stand them when they're cooked into something, because they always come out with the texture, elasticity and taste of a dog toy.

I prefer mine right out of the pleated sandwich bag. Straight. No chaser. No 'tea' or any of that garbage, just sack up, chow down, savor that gritty dirty goodness between the teeth, and enjoy the ride.

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
7/2/09 12:02 p.m.
gamby wrote:
neon4891 wrote:

I like onion rings and Bloomin' onions, and the taste of properly grilled onions.

Yet, they make me sick.

so...

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
7/2/09 12:05 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
scardeal wrote: Raisins in things - by themselves, they're fine. The moment it gets placed in a baked good, it turns into pure evil. This is infinitely true of cookies. Chocolate chips are the Autobots and raisins are the Decepticons. There is nothing more heart-wrenching than taking a huge bite of a cookie, only to find that the little black dots are raisins rather than chocolate chips. Devilish little things they are.
Yeah I can't imagine why people would put raisins in things...if raisins in things were all replaced by chocolate chips or blueberries it would be an improvement every time.

Local afghani restaurant makes Kabuli, a lamb dish with the lamb mixed in with Pallow (a brown rice), glazed julienne of carrots, and raisins, as well as some spices and brown sugar. The combination of the spice and sweet, with the lamb that falls apart if you look at it hard...

Oh, man, it's soooooo good.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg Dork
7/2/09 1:07 p.m.

You do know that Australians, who have not been into a "Outback" Restaurant, have never heard of a "Bloomin Onion"

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
7/2/09 1:10 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: You do know that Australians, who have not been into a "Outback" Restaurant, have never heard of a "Bloomin Onion"

WHAT!?!?!? You mean they have been lying to us all these years? billy3esq, I gots a job for you....

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
7/2/09 3:41 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: You do know that Australians, who have not been into a "Outback" Restaurant, have never heard of a "Bloomin Onion"

That's funny--had dinner with an Aussie last week, and that was about the first thing he said, too.

I was reminded of the time we went to dinner at a teppanyaki restaurant with a Japanese tech from Honda, and Tim asked him (facetiously), if that was how his mom cooked at home. He thought we were serious.

Margie

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade New Reader
7/2/09 3:45 p.m.
  1. Beer
  2. Fish. (Catfish can be done, but must be deep fried first. Then only sparingly. Like once a decade.)
  3. Slaw.
  4. Okra.
  5. Collard Greens.

I'm sure there's more, but I can't recall anything more right now.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
7/2/09 6:27 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: We haven't had real root beer in the US since '69. Most of the stuff big name brands are just sorta-rootbeerish flavoring and high fructose corn syrup. Blech.

I can think of at least two brands of root beer that are very good: '1919' from the Schell's Brewery in New Ulm, MN www.schellsbrewery.com

Point from the Stevens Point Brewery in Stevens Point, WI http://www.pointbeer.com

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XR0HMrPCSxw7ZUlTFsWqtRSJ8nTblmEfXHVoGj0ZXSkpyqsIX2rvwJ4XLeNrchcH