1 2 3 4 ... 6
SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/9/21 12:36 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Picture ATL as a donut.  Don't fall in the hole.

I respect if you want to rule it out, but I also suspect strongly that you've only seen the donut hole.  There is so much around that would fit with you.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/9/21 12:49 p.m.

As a statistician, it seems to me that the number one correlate to the red / blue continuum is population density.

It'd be interesting to see how strong of regression model I could construct based on PD and a few other variables.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltimaDork
6/9/21 12:58 p.m.

Corvettes are built in Bowling Green Ky (that means there are companies around there that support their production/manufacture/modification/etc). 

There is a track in Bowling Green. 

The population is quite low and easygoing in Bowling Green.

I'd look there.

That said I'm in Lexington and most of the humans who have visited here love it and always want to come back.  

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/9/21 1:00 p.m.

In reply to SVreX (Forum Supporter) :

I've been in the burbs on the NE, The SW. Just too sprawling and too much suburbs. If I had a choice, it would be 200 acres in NE AZ with a self-sufficient home (solar/wind for power, well/catch tubs for water). 4wd to get back there. once a week into town for supplies and entertainment. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/9/21 1:01 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad :

and your winters are more mild "down there". But damn... trying to decipher what y'all are saying is tough.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
6/9/21 1:12 p.m.

Get a job at the Sinclair Oil Refinery in Wyoming?

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
6/9/21 1:14 p.m.

So you seem to be focusing a lot on how close is too close and how big is too big, but just as important is how far is too far and how small is too small.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/9/21 2:02 p.m.

In reply to Driven5 :

Wife is already used to a 45 minute each way commute. I'm similar. Too small.... not sure that's a thing. 

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
6/9/21 2:35 p.m.

A 45 min commute actually isn't actually all that uncommon. It's not short, but I would not consider it particularly 'long' by any means either. There will be a max that one or both of you will be willing to tolerate. Is more than an hour each way acceptable? If so, how much more?

There is also more than just the commute to think about regarding distance. How long are both of you willing to drive every time you want or need to get groceries, hardware and home improvement products, entertainment, dining, retail, etc... And are there any specific types of each that need to be available there?

In addition to availability of consumer goods and services, if you want a job working somewhere other than a gas station or tavern, there is such a thing as too small.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/9/21 2:52 p.m.

A walmart within an hour. Movie theater and some sort of restraunt within the same span is fine. 

But I think we are straying more from the heart of the matter and that is what field/career. Location is alright and all, but WHAT to do is more important currently than where to do it.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
6/9/21 3:22 p.m.

Crop insurance.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
6/9/21 3:28 p.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to SVreX (Forum Supporter) :

I've been in the burbs on the NE, The SW. Just too sprawling and too much suburbs. If I had a choice, it would be 200 acres in NE AZ with a self-sufficient home (solar/wind for power, well/catch tubs for water). 4wd to get back there. once a week into town for supplies and entertainment. 

I'd like that too!

(Just don't want to have to pay for it!!)

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
6/9/21 3:29 p.m.

Not sure if it's helpful, but *Cedar City is about 45 minutes away from st George (150k heads), has a Walmart, a movie theater, 2.5 hours from Las Vegas, 3 from SLC, and there's plenty of heavy equipment rental/repair or I could probably get you on doing dealership parts. 

*It's a pretty small and quiet college town, with areas that are quite secluded. It misses the worst of summer and sees fairly regular snow but it usually melts off within a weekish. 5000' above the ocean iirc. 

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
6/9/21 3:34 p.m.
bobzilla said:

A walmart within an hour. Movie theater and some sort of restraunt within the same span is fine. 

But I think we are straying more from the heart of the matter and that is what field/career. Location is alright and all, but WHAT to do is more important currently than where to do it.

I don't think that defines it all. 

Look for a book called "What Color is Your Parachute". It's been around since the '70's, but is updated every year.

It is a career search book. But it helps define the other things in life that make life fulfilling and unique for each individual. 

Being a parts monkey in Miami FL is completely different than being a parts monkey in Nome Alaska. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
6/9/21 4:02 p.m.

Don't know about employment opportunities right now, but in or near Rolla, MO might work for you.  Property in rural Missouri used to be pretty cheap, and I assume it's still not too bad.  You've got St Louis 100 miles east, Springfield (and Bass Pro HQ) 100 miles west,  Jefferson City 60 miles north, and Columbia 90 miles north.

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
6/9/21 4:10 p.m.

North East Arizona is Navajo, north of 40 at least. 

South of 40 is Holbrook, Snowflake, Taylor, Show Low, Pinetop, Springerville, St Johns. 

A Walmart exists in Taylor and Show Low.

200 acres would not be cheap. Hell, 20 acres wouldnt be cheap, but Ive seen 5-10 for sale for around $30k. No utilities, all off grid, hauling water. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/9/21 4:22 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

Don't know about employment opportunities right now, but in or near Rolla, MO might work for you.  Property in rural Missouri used to be pretty cheap, and I assume it's still not too bad.  You've got St Louis 100 miles east, Springfield (and Bass Pro HQ) 100 miles west,  Jefferson City 60 miles north, and Columbia 90 miles north.

Funny... I know where rolla is. When I was 15 I drove out there with my aunt and grandmother (I did all the driving wit my permit) to pic up a cousin who was stayin with us for a week. Nice area. Beautiful and hills.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/9/21 4:24 p.m.

In reply to pheller :

We have been keeping an eye open for retirement. There was a 3, 12 acre plot come up for sale for $76k for all 36 acres just off a county road. Utilities (re: Electricity) were on that county road. We missed out because we hesitated.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/9/21 5:31 p.m.

Have you considered rural Oregon or Washington? Basically the eastern parts of the states. They're really pretty places, and far less liberal than Seattle and Portland.

Cost of living seems reasonable to me, but I was born in CA and moved to Portland so my perspective is honestly pretty skewed. Bend has some pretty cool industries, and you don't have to live there to work in them. 

In reply to bobzilla :

You liked the oil analysis gig, you have the certs, and you're willing to move. Have you thought about sending your resume to anyone else does oil analysis?

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/9/21 6:49 p.m.

Grand Junction, Co

Hear me out, Flyin Sonata

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/9/21 7:17 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah. I didn't know that I want to join a conglomerate for that. I know many that did it came from there and none were happy. You're just another drone. 

speaking of all this... current employer came down today and handed me a raise, a bump in bonus , an apology for the current conditions and a promise that they are going to put in extra effort to get the help we need and take care of the core problems plaguing us. I swear they read my mind. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/9/21 7:17 p.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

Grand Junction, Co

Hear me out, Flyin Sonata

I'm listening..... tell me more. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/9/21 7:21 p.m.

But seriously location wise I do have to watch altitude. The wife's asthma and sleep apnea make higher altitudes a little tricky. Nothjng like being on vacation and spending a couple hours in the Alpine Losge ranger station with your wife hooked up to oxygen. 

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/9/21 7:27 p.m.
bobzilla said:

I swear they monitor my browser history.

FTFY

1 2 3 4 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dC4Qz9e9cFJdegzrR93fbQEObTm4fYJU96VhnuTGGNxI16Z5c8c2H2Pp0qWiatze