1 2
RossD
RossD Reader
7/21/09 1:38 p.m.

Are there any new rumors floating around the internet saying anything about the Aussie Falcon coming to the states? I remember seeing stuff but that was all at least a year old now. Anything new?

To show you why I'm wondering:

From the FPV website:

"Engine

Introducing the new GT-P with a 32 valve, quad-cam Boss V8 engine comparable to Europe's best. The awe-inspiring Boss 315 is a powerplant unlike any other and comes to life on Australia's only current V8 engine production line.

Its 5.4-litre capacity, 32 valves and double overhead camshafts work to produce 315kW of power and a phenomenal 551Nm of torque.

The Boss 315 has been completely re-calibrated to maximize response and driveability, whilst an improvement in volumetric efficiency allows the engine to breathe better. The extra breathing capability, along with strength and durability improvements made to the engine hardware, has allowed FPV to increase the maximum revs to 6,500 rpm.

The Boss 315 engine also gives the GT-P flexibility through the gears and consequently, drivers will notice that from a standing start, the vehicle feels lighter and more responsive.

Transmission

A new six-speed manual transmission has been introduced with the FG FPV range - the new Tremec TR6060.

The Tremec TR6060 is now fitted to all manual transmission variants in the FG FPV range - replacing the T56 six-speed manual on previous V8 sedan and ute models.

The new synchroniser package features triple synchromesh on first and second gears, and double synchromesh on all other gears, including reverse, which has significantly reduced gear shift efforts and shift travel. The reduced shift travel provided by the synchroniser package has also allowed increased space for the use of larger gears, which are stronger to deliver improved torque capacity and gearbox durability.

The GT-P also features the ZF 6-speed high-torque automatic transmission with Sequential Sports Shift as a no cost option. This high-performance automatic gearbox offers the driver the best of both worlds. Its Sequential Sports Shift system allows fast, clean manual gear changes to maximize all the available power for acceleration or quick downshifts. And when in full auto mode, the adaptive shift system changes characteristics to suit your individual driving style."

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
7/21/09 1:43 p.m.

Both in concept and execution that reminds me a lot of the GTO.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
7/21/09 1:46 p.m.

The nose looks like an A6.

Sorry, I'm still pissy because we can't have Utes.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/21/09 2:10 p.m.

A Falcon with one of the turbo motors would be more interesting to me. Not too much down on power from the V8 and reasonable gas mileage to boot.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Dork
7/21/09 2:10 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: Both in concept and execution that reminds me a lot of the G8 with the nose of an EvoX glued up front.

fixed

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
7/21/09 2:15 p.m.

C'mon, you know the answer to that question already. There's no chance in hell it would make it here, it's too cool!

(and if it did they'd neuter it in looks)

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/21/09 2:26 p.m.

I think if the GTO and G8 had been bigger sales successes, you'd see them. But since they weren't.......

RossD
RossD Reader
7/21/09 2:32 p.m.

Has anyone seen sales figures for G8s? I just curious what they thought they could sell and what they actually sold.

The Brown Stig
The Brown Stig GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/21/09 2:33 p.m.
Here are the total numbers: March (2008) 777 April 2126 May 1831 June 1536 July 1472 August 1915 September 1651 October 1082 November 1133 December 1479 January (of 2009) 1331 February 2705 March 2939
Mental
Mental SuperDork
7/21/09 3:37 p.m.

Maybe some Ford guys see a small market niche with Pontiac dying

...cuz I would totally rock one of these, even if they called it a Ranchero

The Brown Stig
The Brown Stig GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/21/09 3:37 p.m.

Make them in Mexico and you could call them Pancheros!

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/21/09 4:51 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: Both in concept and execution that reminds me a lot of the GTO.

That's because the Australian market is dominated by two cars: the Ford Falcon and the Holden Commodore. They've been butting heads for decades. The GTO is the Holden Monaro, basically a coupe version of the Commodore . So it's not surprising that the Falcon is similar.

I just got back from a few weeks in Oz, actually. The current Commodore looks awesome in the higher spec levels. If the GTO had looked like this instead of a big blob, it might have turned a few heads.

The Aussies love their utes, and you can get them in the hot versions as well. They're used as serious work trucks, but you're not going to want to bolt a welder and generator on the back of one. It's actually kind of weird - if I had a race car in Oz, I'm not sure what I'd tow it with. An old Land Cruiser with a tray bed seems to be the most likely choice based on watching traffic.

A couple more observations: - Australians aren't allowed to have fun on the road. Serious no-kidding speed enforcement means that on the main roads, everyone's trying not to edge up to 101 km/h in a 100 km/h zone. Add in the traffic perturbations from on-ramps that aren't all that smoothly integrated, and you're usually doing about 90-95. - Australians aren't afraid of colours. When I lived there in the 80's, all the cars were white to keep them cool inside. Now they're all bright colours. The Commodore and Falcon come in a palette that would do the Lotus Elise proud. - In Queensland, I saw/heard almost no obnoxious exhausts. No fart-can Hondas, no diesel trucks belching noise and black smoke. The exception was the Skylines. Almost all the noisy cars were Skylines, and every single Skyline was noisy. The V8 cars did have a bit of a purr, but that was about it. Oh, and no Harleys. Yaaaaay! Not once did I wince from their assault. - If you like diesel, you'd love Australia. Loads of cool small diesel cars and trucks. - You have to have as many engine specs on your car as possible. My old Toyota truck had a V6 badge. In Australia, they came with a 3.0 EFI V6 sticker, and it wouldn't surprise me to find out OHC was in there as well.

Sorry, that was building up. I'll shut up now.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Dork
7/21/09 5:05 p.m.

isn't it like next to impossible to get citizenship there? if it wasn't i'd prolly move there in a heartbeat.

Keith
7/21/09 5:17 p.m.

Well, my friend managed it. He moved to Australia at the same time I moved to the US, 8 years ago. He's an Australian citizen now.

I managed to get my green card a bit over a year ago and I had to get married to do it. In another 4 years or so, I can start the citizenship process.

So I'm going to have to say no, it's not as hard as some other countries

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/21/09 5:36 p.m.

Well if they move it here, I'd look at one.

I'll buy a ford before I buy from Government Motors..

griffin729
griffin729 New Reader
7/21/09 5:39 p.m.

IIRC I heard along the line somewhere that a two year enlistment in the Aussie army grants citizenship. That was awhile ago and things may have changed. For that matter I could be completely wrong.

Keith
7/21/09 5:53 p.m.

Seeing combat while enlisted in the US army gets you citizenship as well, IIRC. It's not everyone's preferred method :)

I'd love to see more big bruiser sedans. Bring on the Falcon and Commodore!

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
7/21/09 6:16 p.m.

Keith- Three years of being married to Janel (hope I got the spelling right), and not being out of the country for more than six months and you are eligible. Also, keep track of your visits out of country, including to Canada. They wanted my movement for the past five years. I had to guess, since there is no paperwork received when crossing by car to Canada.

Keith
7/21/09 6:42 p.m.

Three years being married with a green card - there was a time lag there, so it's going to be later than my third anniversary. Still, even if I got my US citizenship tomorrow, it still would have taken longer than my friend that moved to Australia, and he did it while single

Anyhow, sorry about derailing the conversation. To make up for it, I'll post pictures of a couple of cool utes I took as soon as I get home.

RossD
RossD Reader
7/21/09 7:46 p.m.

from FPV:

"Engine

With an awesome 310kW of power, FPV's new turbo-charged F6 sedan is one of the best performing six-cylinder vehicles on the Australian market.

Powered by the high performance 4.0 litre turbo-charged DOHC 24 valve in-line six, the F6 produces maximum power of 310kW at 5500 rpm and maximum torque of 565Nm across the range from 1950 to 5200 rpm.

To achieve the significant 40kW increase, FPV engineers strengthened the piston design and cranked up the boost. A new intake system has improved airflow from the air intake to the engine head inlet, which substantially reduces pressure drop without a loss of boost capability.

As a result, the F6 delivers impressive power and torque figures, without compromising on driveability and fuel efficiency. The F6 boasts fuel consumption figures of 12.3L/100km in manual transmission and 12.1L/100km in automatic guise, a seven percent auto and nine percent manual increase in fuel efficiency over the previous BF MKII model.

The F6 gives increased response to the accelerator pedal throughout the rev range, but also provides around town driveability due to better access to torque."

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/21/09 9:38 p.m.

never happen.. it would dethrone the mustang

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
7/21/09 9:43 p.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote: isn't it like next to impossible to get citizenship there? if it wasn't i'd prolly move there in a heartbeat.

That would be New Zeland. Hell, I kind of want to go to australia.

Back on topic, very nice

edit So I have started looking into emigration

autoxrs
autoxrs New Reader
7/21/09 10:17 p.m.

On the Aussie tangent...

27 years ago my dad made a "bad" decision. He was offered a job as surgeon in chief at one of the hospitals in Australia (no longer recollect where) with a paid for home and car. He decided to decline it... oh papa you blubbering fool. But, I forgive him as we moved to India for a while and I grew up in the back seat of a Ford Prefect.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Dork
7/21/09 10:42 p.m.

is it me or does that picture with the F6 on it remind you of a new scoobie?

Keith
7/21/09 10:49 p.m.

I actually lived in Australia on and off as a kid - my father was a college prof who'd go on sabbatical every 7 years and drag us to the bottom of the world. Going back there is like a time machine to when I was 13. I even got giddy when I found my fave breakfast cereal in the store on my last trip. The place isn't perfect and the current drought gives a preview of the US southwest in a decade or two, but I think they're doing more things right than wrong. Plus, in the case of nuclear armageddon, it'll be the site of the last Grand Prix.

Anyhow, on with the utes as promised. Is this thing not bad-ass? Those chrome bars were very common. In this case, they're being used for surfboard transport. Of course.

And here's a work truck. I don't think the "One tonne" on the tailgate means the same thing it does in the US. Towing capacity, maybe. Payload, no. Especially as I think it's a six. My memories from 1984 tell me the Falcon didn't have a V8 for a while, but I might forget.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HrIkDo2xqZOIqnWut1EqJcHSOkvNIEs2LwR8dhJicgDvksHIMoog6geCUXaLmJrV