Conquest351
Conquest351 HalfDork
1/6/12 3:28 p.m.

Does anyone have any good suspension tuning setups they'd like to share? If you have any super secret tuning setups, by all means, keep those secret if you must. I'd like to get some ideas on what people are doing in order to help the "suspension illiterate" of us out there.

So let's see 'em!!

Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
1/6/12 4:20 p.m.

About the only thing I know to do is lower the tire pressures and live with the "odd" handling until they are to temp. My FWD setup is a few psi below 30 and the rears have more pressure then the fronts. After that, I shooting darts at the dartboard from 50' away.

racerfink
racerfink Dork
1/6/12 5:37 p.m.

A lot is gonna depend on what car you want tuned, and whether or not you did any weight reduction.

64chrysler300
64chrysler300 New Reader
1/6/12 6:02 p.m.

I keep tweaking things....tweak, test drive. Tweak, test, rinse repeat. I've also found that my cars all handle differently when I'm online racing vs against the AI in career mode.

barrowcadbury
barrowcadbury New Reader
1/6/12 6:42 p.m.

This is a really handy tuning reference chart: http://www.240edge.com/performance/reference.pdf

And this is a tuning calculator someone made specifically for Forza: http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/ShowThread.aspx?PostID=4859908

On an unknown-to-me car, after any weight reduction as a result of upgrades, I'll throw it in a calculator (like the one above) for a baseline, mostly for spring weights and alignment settings.

After that, I take the car for a test drive on a track similar to the end goal of the car, rip off a couple laps, then pull up the Telemetry. From there, I'm looking at tire temps, tire pressures, and especially the tire temps across the tire. In general, I'll shoot for roughly 32psi hot from all the tires. In addition, I'll adjust the camber to be fairly even across the tire (three sections are measured across the tread), usually in the ballpark of the inside edges being about 10 degrees hotter than the outsides.

From there, I know I've gotten somewhat close and I can start focusing on fine-tuning the balance. I tend to steer away from big swaybars, in favor of upping spring weights when necessary (which gives the added benefit of being able to run the car lower). Also, the first link I posted has a useful section on adjusting the shocks' compression and rebound - great for further fine tuning.

My goal is for every car to handle as well as racerfink's MR2 in the club's garage :D

barrowcadbury
barrowcadbury New Reader
1/6/12 6:47 p.m.

Haha, the first post of this thread is waaay more complete than my answer: http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/thread/4905856.aspx

griffin729
griffin729 HalfDork
1/6/12 7:50 p.m.
barrowcadbury wrote: Haha, the first post of this thread is waaay more complete than my answer: http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/thread/4905856.aspx

I was going to toss in my two cents worth, but after reading the thread linked, uhm yeah. I got nothin'.

Uncoiled
Uncoiled New Reader
1/6/12 8:21 p.m.

I'm glad someone posted this, I have been doing some things wrong...

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
1/6/12 8:52 p.m.
barrowcadbury wrote: Haha, the first post of this thread is waaay more complete than my answer: http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/thread/4905856.aspx

Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
1/6/12 10:58 p.m.

Oh my... FINALLY got a RWD car to not swap ends or drift continuously. Still off on the timers, but I feel that is from trying to use the controller instead of a wheel.

Conquest351
Conquest351 HalfDork
1/8/12 10:06 a.m.

All my RWD cars drift continuously. I'll have to check this out...

Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
1/8/12 11:36 a.m.

In reply to Conquest351:

The Gen1 Miata I got now, modded up to D 343 specs, is understeering mostly with some very violent on throttle oversteer in tight corners before it was always dive into a corner with the tail hanging out countersteering the whole way through..... I still have plenty of tuning left to do, but for now I can at least turn some laps and have fun driving it around.

Conquest351
Conquest351 HalfDork
1/8/12 5:37 p.m.

I got a Starion that's my favorite right now, for obvious reasons (see my username). It looks exactly like my old Conquest and I love it. Too bad I can't put the 351-W in it like mine had. LOL Anyways, it oversteers a little, but it does slide itself all over the place. Most times, I can just countersteer, feather the throttle, and ride it out while yelling "Wooooo hooooo!". I don't wanna take all the fun out of it, but I'd like to be able to handle it a little better. I do love it though. I'll check those websites and see what happens.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
1/8/12 6:53 p.m.

I've got a few good ones for 1,000 cr. If anyone wants a specific setup that I may have, let me know and I'll share it.

The_Jed
The_Jed Reader
1/8/12 7:58 p.m.
Strike_Zero wrote:

My reaction too...I thought I was a tad obsessive with GT4...(I'm in the stone age as far as gaming goes...)

64chrysler300
64chrysler300 New Reader
1/9/12 12:14 p.m.

I downloaded Forzadroid last night and punched in a Nissan Micra AWD. Tuned it to the recomended settings and it made a vast improvement....it's still as slow as a geriatric snail but hauls ass around corners!

racerfink
racerfink Dork
1/9/12 12:29 p.m.

I can make a lot of difference in a car just by tuning the damping. Giving a car some ride height, especially the race cars, makes a huge improvement too.

My cars tend to be much more consistent than the 'exploit' tunes most of the fast guys run. My cars get faster the more laps you run, and tend to run their fastest laps right before the tires go off (when they used to have endurance races).

Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
1/9/12 12:29 p.m.

I went fwd last night and "bought" a Mazda 2, after running around with a Spark most of the night. I eventually got the 2 into a 1:10 lap around Tsubuka with a controller... but of course I did run 53 laps figuring it out.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HvRokSrkU5NmBrQcoPUqaR97wPXunCp8muUURs5bTkXD6u3paTqNSnMqC9qKuGjH